NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

350 vs 351, GM vs Ford

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
GrandSlam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandSlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 10:17am
Until recently, I have never been much of a Ford fan. To show how far I go back, my earlier boats had Chrysler 318 ci / 225hp engines, seems like that was the power choice of the early ‘70’s. Then I moved to diesels.   I must say that I have enjoyed the PCM 351 in my ‘Fish’. It was rebuilt by the former owner, so that is a big ???, and not being a “gear head” I am not about to build a “stroker” as many of you guys have done - changing spark plugs is about as far as I am going to go. But I must say, this past year my Ford always started easy and got me out and back with no problems (I’m knocking on wood here). In the ’89 ‘Fish’ the PCM 351 is a standard rotation engine and when combined with the PCM 1.23 transmission with the downward angle, seems to be a nice setup, the engine sits nearly level and that’s got to be an advantage from a lubrication and cooling standpoint. Does Chevy have that as well? Also, in my friends 24’ Slamrock has the same Ford setup with over 3,000 hours on the meter…we’re not sure of the history, but the engine is strong. Given a power option choice, certainly I go for the 454 big block, but in the 5.7- 5.8 liter category I’ve been impressed with the Ford. I do understand that PCM has got a batch of new Ford 351's and will have them marinized and ready for sale in a few weeks, if anyone is interested. Jerry
Jerry Troy

USCG Master, 100GT

1989 23' Fish Nautique

1992 47' Jersey SF
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 11:36am
Originally posted by GrandSlam GrandSlam wrote:

In the ’89 ‘Fish’ the PCM 351 is a standard rotation engine and when combined with the PCM 1.23 transmission with the downward angle, seems to be a nice setup, the engine sits nearly level and that’s got to be an advantage from a lubrication and cooling standpoint. Does Chevy have that as well?

Correct Craft still uses the same PCM 1.23:1 on all their direct drive boats, even though 2002 was the last year you could get the Ford.

My dad has the Excalibur (Chevy 350) in his '03 196. Ive driven several GT40 Nautiques and Id say the Ford is a torquier motor. Even my 240hp Ford could keep up with the new 330hp Chevy out of the hole. Id say the Chevy has a little more top end than the GT40 though.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 11:55am
well seems how we are on the ford chevy issue, maybe one of you chevy fans can tell me why my 454 manufactures 330 HP and requires premium fuel. When the ford 460 in the same boat maufactures 340 HP and only requires regular unleaded.

Like I said I like my 454 but I woud trade it in a New York Minute for a BFN with a 460.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 12:39pm
87 what would you rather drink jack daniels or george d*ckel? sammy adams or bush?
i really dont know the reason on the premium or the regular but all i know is that it says to run premium in my volkswagon and i dont, im to damn cheap

"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

87 what would you rather drink jack daniels or george d*ckel? sammy adams or bush?
i really dont know the reason on the premium or the regular but all i know is that it says to run premium in my volkswagon and i dont, im to damn cheap

Are you implying that george d*ckel isnt premium whiskey?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 1:22pm
kinda like mad dog in the high school days
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 1:37pm
I had the pleasure of driving a 2003 Maulibu Response LXI with the Chevy Monsoon with 335hp.

Not as much torque as the GT40, but extremely fast and will rev up to 5700rpm wide open. They make up for the torque with speed to rpm ratio reduction ( whatever ) 3800rpm at 32mph.

Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 2:16pm
DavidF,

Don't have a solid history, and I don't know if Meloon contacted GM/Ford directly.

Just contrary to everything I've read or been able to pickup. It's been years since CC or any of the other Inboad manufacturers have bought directly from Ford, GM, or Chrysler. To my knowledge, none of the big three are currently marinizing their own engines. Ford announced the opening of a new plant in
Georgia for Marine engines back in 2001, then, I believe they shut it down in 02 or 03 to focus on hybrid motors. Volvo, a division of Ford may be doing their own marinization, I'm not sure. Everything I've read indicates simply that Ford stopped supplying power plants to the marinization companies (PCM, Indmar, etc) and so that is why they have all moved to Chevy. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 2:32pm
as i said earlier on that ho boss motor, the cover has 4800 max on the ford and 5200 on the chevy i guess its give and take because i believe the ford is more torquey on the bottem end and the chevy has the top end
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 9:56am
I concur,
Ford smallblocks run out of lungs up top because the port and valve size is small. The heads where originally designed for a 221 ci engine with only modest upgrades. This nets higher charge velocity and more torque and power down low. Shifting the torque curve lower typically nets less peak power because power is a function of rpm.

The ford bottom ends are stout and can take the rpms, don't need 4-bolts to hold them together, but the stock heads are the limiting factor. The chevies typically are made with larger ports and valves, and really wake up beyond 4- 4.5K where the base fords go flat.

All that extra chevy iron around the flywheel makes it somewhat heavier than the ford, and the 302 having a significant weight and size advantage over the 305.

the 302/305 comparison is very different from the 351/350. The 305's longer stroke offsets the torque advantage of the 302's small ports, and the 302 will similarly like the revs, because the ports are not overtaxed till the revs hit 4.8-5k.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2006 at 12:49am
well I have not met anyone that does not run premium in a BFN with a 454. I have tried regular in it myself and, the results are very poor. Fill her back up with 93 and away she goes. Now I am sure I could retard the timing and lose HP but why.

Just put 93 in her and have a ball.

By the way in reply to a ford running out of lungs at the top end, if you get out of the hole fast enough the race maybe over before the other guy gets to top end.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2006 at 7:29am
if ford and chevy merge in the distant or near future the rivalry will be over...
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2006 at 7:58am
The 351 has more guts out of the whole than 350's from its era, but they don't compare with the Vortec 350's that they're making today. I like my 240 hp PCM 351, but my 310 Indmar 350 will walk all over it at any speed.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2006 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

The 351 has more guts out of the whole than 350's from its era, but they don't compare with the Vortec 350's that they're making today. I like my 240 hp PCM 351, but my 310 Indmar 350 will walk all over it at any speed.

I disagree. My 240hp 351w was dead even with my dad's '03 196 with the 350 PCM excalibur (330hp) out of the hole. Once we got to 30+ MPH he pulled away from me pretty quick.

Now that Ive done some motor work and we've got comparable horsepower, our top ends are very close... and I can put 2 boat lengths on him out of the hole.
SeattleFordFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeattleFordFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2006 at 1:27pm
As a Ford Fan, I will pipe in and give my two cents worth. Just so you know, I am a Ford Fan, because the Chevy I was running when I was younger sank.

4 Bolt mains, Chevy used them alot of their heavier applications, to a$$ist severe duty applications. Chevy has been known to have more HP than Ford, so when they increase their HP rating to heavier applications they put 4 bolt to harness the increase. Ford has been known for Torque, and with their block design they added 4 bolt to Boss motors, and crate motors. They do have a mexican block 2 bolt that is known for higher strength also. It is also stated that the 1970 and 71 2 bolt blocks I believe, were made of a stronger material, and hold together better than standard 2 bolt blocks. Mostly the 4 bolt is for increased HP/Torque applications.

As far as increasing HP in a given block, Chevy is my chioce for aftermarket upgrades. I can find more Chevy parts, and prices are usually lower than ford parts. Chevy is easier to work on in my opinion.

Bang for the buck, if I were building a block from scrap, I would go with Chevy, even though I am a ford person. I would get a cast Dart block, and build a 383 stroker, using AFR heads, and Eagle Crank.

Ford strokers are good, but a 347, or even a 393, is prone to problems more so than Chvey's 383. Especially the 393 with the increased stroke length, they start having problems at the bottom of the stroke.

I have a 88 fox body mustang, with a mildly built 347, utilizing the Mexican block for stated, AFR heads, and Eagle Crank, with a T series turbo charger. It seems to be a good build, but I am expecting to take it apart soon for maintenance, its starting to push water a little.
Travs

Where there is a will, there is a way, and where there is a way, it usually costs more money.

1980 Ski Nautique
Busted Knuckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Busted Knuckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2006 at 6:22pm
looking through th thread I didn't see much for apples to apples comparo
mostly apples to oranges

1. the fords were used in the 70s and 80s and early 90s the most because the were cheaper to buy, Period. The chevys thet were used in those days may have made the same power or maybe even offered a HO version which was usually ony 270-285 hp
when did ford stop production on the pushrod 351? 1996- 1997 right abouth the time GM comes out with the vortec , thank indmar for jumping on the GM bandwagon and PCM for sticking with fords rumor I heard was PCM got the end run of 351s and your new nautiques had blocks several years old in them ( this could sting a little)

now that a chevy vortec in carb form can make 310 hp and efi up to 350 hp
and the best 351 I've seen is what 310 hp
side by side in the same hull with the same trim with the same trans and same prop
I've noticed little difference until over 4000 rpm , then the chevys seem to start walking away.

but keep in mind the older boats had much less wetted surface than the new ones and were much lighter. take my bros 66 'stang with the 350 efi 350 hp 58 MPH on GPS
same engine in a new 196 46 mph
sorry so long , sorry if I upset anyone.

BKG
Volante Barefoot Skier built by American Skier Boats -
www.footngear.com
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2006 at 6:50pm
One of my buddies had the 310 indmar carbie 350 in a Malibu Sportster. That boat went like the devil. I've never driven a faster inboard (from the factory). Just an outrageous amount of power. The boat topped out at 50+ mph. Flew out of the hole. You could be going 40, floor it, and get an absolute surge of accelleration again. It would mop the floor with my old 90 351 SN in any possible contest of speed or accelleration. The bu uses a chined hull so it rides with less wetted surface, but still. The engine was a monster.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2006 at 11:02pm
Yes, but the Malibu sportster was also a very light boat, with about a 6 inch freeboard in the back end. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2006 at 7:24am
Malibu Sportster is about 2200 lbs. What's a Nautique, 2400 lbs?

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2006 at 10:16am
They are pretty even weight wise. That thing just hauled. Great engine.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2006 at 10:34am
the great thing about the chevy small block is that there are so many combinations and variations, you have 265,283,327,305,307,350.400 and most of the parts are interchangable. even about 100 different head configurations. the old .202 fuelie heads were from the 60's and today are still even better than some of the off the shelf heads. the 400 was a torgue monster but no top end, the 283 you could wind up to 8000 grand with no problems. i look at the whole package and the 350 falls right in the middle because you can do many different things to it and customize it for torque or horsepower without breaking the bank
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2006 at 9:00pm
    A bit off the subject, but has anyone else found out that GM Dexcool antifreeze eats the gaskets and metal away, unlike conventional antifreeze???

Jeff...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2006 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Malibu Sportster is about 2200 lbs. What's a Nautique, 2400 lbs?

Ski Nautique is about 2350. Beam on Ski Nautique is also 5 inches wider than the sportster. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic