NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mahogany Decking on Fiberglass

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
oldskiboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mahogany Decking on Fiberglass
    Posted: August-21-2006 at 10:54am
I have a 75 Southwind and I think its classic lines would lend itself nicely to a mahogany covered deck. What I don't have is any instructions on how this could and should be done. If anyone out there knows about this or can send me to a source to find out how to do it I would be grateful.

Regards,

Gary
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
searider View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2006 at 6:33pm
I have a 84 Southwind bowrider and also thought about installing a teak deck after seeing instructions detailed in chapter 6.2 of West Marine booklet Fiberglass Boat Repair and Maintenance.

Instructions are detailed for teak veneers of 1/8-1/4 inch or teak planks of 1/4-3/4 inch. The teak is bonded to the deck surface with epoxy thickened with High-Density filler and darkened with Graphite Powder. The veneer or planks are clamped down and spaced using #10 sheet metal screws.

After epoxy drys remove the screws and fill screw holes with more thickened and colored epoxy. With the thicker planks the gaps are caulked to allow for more expansion. With veneers the darkened epoxy is used to fill the gaps. Finish deck with sanding and sealer or teak oil.
oldskiboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 9:25am
Thank you I'll take a look at that. Besides the sole of the cockpit, I was also thinking of the forward deck and along the rails to the rear deck where the aft air scoops are located. That was where I was thinking of using the mahogany.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2006 at 3:14pm
Gary,

Check out Glen-L website ("glen-l.com") and/or give them a call. Know pretty much everything about working with wood.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic