Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Automotive Coil?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Automotive Coil?
    Posted: September-02-2005 at 1:05am
You just have to by pass the ballast resister with a coil that has an internal resister.
HOLESHOT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOLESHOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2005 at 3:28pm
you guyts sould also remember that tere are also coils that have internal resistors and stock pcm have externial resistors and if you go replacing
coils make sure that you know wich is wich
IF IT HAS A SPARKPLUG I CAN FIX IT
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2005 at 2:53pm
I use a mallory promaster series marine coil. The extra juice works well with the cam and induction system and it's blue so it matches my plug wires, dist cap, and boat as well.

The epoxy filled coils last longer and have better insulating properties than oil filled coils.
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2005 at 3:48am
See above, Shaughn. Oil-filled coils are more prone to suffer from damage due to vibration.

Epoxy-filled coils resist the kind of vibration a boat motor and rough water can generate.

Thomas
Shaughn View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shaughn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2005 at 10:21am
Ah crap! 79nautique, why no oil filled? Just spent pretty good money on a Crane, it's comes nickel plated.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2005 at 3:22am
For a coil...auto parts will work just fine...however I will always buy a marine part!That way there is no doubt!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2005 at 7:54pm
Just bought a new coil for my boat couple of days ago. Auto coils are oil-filled. The marine-design coil I bought, Pertronix brand, is epoxy-filled to resist vibration damage. Yep, it's more expensive.

Thomas
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2005 at 2:59pm
I've gone through two regular auto coils.(16 years) Then I got an accel coil made for heat and vibration. It has a gel instead of oil and I think it was $29. I got it from Jegs.
Tim D
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2005 at 8:48am
Just replaced mine a couple of months ago. Bought mine from NAPA. 88' 2001w/ 351 pcm.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2005 at 4:02pm
not really but I would suggest a non oil-filled style though.
skiier View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2005 at 3:22pm
I need to replace a coil in my boat Pleasure craft 351, is there any difference between an automoitve coil and a marine?

I know the starter, alternator and many others are marine specific...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic