Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turning Radius Comparison

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bhedbloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bhedbloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turning Radius Comparison
    Posted: July-11-2005 at 10:42pm
Hello All,

I have a 16' Mustang and a 20' Southwind. I just got the Southwind this year and boy was I surprised at the difference in the turning radius of the two boats. The mustang will turn on a dime but the Southwind won't hardley turn on a silver dollar. It takes a mighty large ski cove to turn her around (right/ or left).

Do you all think it is because of the V hull through to the transom design w/ the inboard configuration or do you think a different rudder would help the Southwind turn better?

I really like the boats size and its ride but it lacks in the turning catagory. How does the Wildcat 20' turn? I think it has a flat hull at the transom? Thanks for any and all input to this puzzle!
Barry, South Carolina
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2005 at 7:43pm
Barry ,
I have only seen one Wildcat , it is located on Lake Norman ,in Charlotte NC . I think the bottom is flat at the transom . I met a guy on Lake Wylie where I live that has a really nice
1973 Southwind 20 closed bow .
email me and I can give you his info and you can compare with him .
mike
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2005 at 3:24pm
the southwind doesn't have a flat haul at the transom from the ones I have seen the are all deep-v type hauls and will not turn sharp compared to the ski boats, the soutwide is a runabout.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic