Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best prop for Altitude?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
New Owner View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best prop for Altitude?
    Posted: July-15-2005 at 3:41am
Thanks everyone for your views and comments. We are primarily skiers and only wake board at the very amateur level. I am more concerned about top speed for footing and skiing performance. We pick up the boat one day before we leave for Lake Powell so I guess we will have a great testing ground to see how the stock prop goes....[/QUOTE]
Guest View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2005 at 3:40am
Thanks everyone for your views and comments. We are primarily skiers and only wake board at the very amateur level. I am more concerned about top speed for footing and skiing performance. We pick up the boat one day before we leave for Lake Powell so I guess we will have a great testing ground to see how the stock prop goes....
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2005 at 1:20am
i dont know. it looked fine and didnt vibrate. it was the stock 13x13. it probably wouldnt change anything in an unweighted boat.like i said before it was floored alot with all that weight, now its not. maybe doubled is a slight exageration, but its better than 25%.
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2005 at 10:38am
Originally posted by 882001 882001 wrote:

Originally posted by 80nauts 80nauts wrote:

there is mutch to gain by spending money on a different prop. Save your money for GAS.
.oh yeah my fuel economy doubled with my prop swap so it is paying for itsself. if you dont wakeboard with alot of weight you probably wont get that result

Your fuel economy doubled??? That's pretty hard to believe. Was your old prop is really bad shape?
Ride_Klein View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ride_Klein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2005 at 9:12pm
I'm definitely in the pro prop change camp. I was very sceptical about the improvements that it would make, and all of my experiences are at 500 ft above sea level, but I did a side to side comparisson with a couple props when I bought my acme 542.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1591&KW=acme+542

I've run it this summer weighted and unweighted and still feel the same way about it today as I did the day I put it on. I'm using about 25% less fuel when weighted, and the useage stayed identical to the stock prop when unweighted or pulling a slalom skier. Great prop all around. If you wakeboard mostly get the 542, if you ski or foot mostly get the 540.
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2005 at 8:52pm
i only run 1200# in fat sacs one 600# on each side of the motor cover and run around 6-8 people + gear, sub boxes, cooler so around 2800# total and it was suffering with the old prop. like a quarter mile to plain and guzzleing gas. now instant plaining, never floor it. my buddy was pulling me and used to the other prop and it was hurting me. the other day we had the normal weight and added another sac in the back. it took up too much room. but didnt hurt performance. i dont think ypu can put that much weight in a 80. we used to run through a full tank after work from 4-9 and now about a half a tank.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2005 at 3:20pm
If it is a 2001 year boat I wouldn't do anything. The engine is computer controled and will compensate for the altitude. I have a stock federal and a ACME 460 that give basicly the same perforance one is a little better out of the hole and the other I don't turn as many rpm's so playing with the prop isn't going to buy you much.
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2005 at 4:39am
882001 Neither of my buds are running the 542, so my observations could be tainted by idiot prop changing without studying. How does the 542 differ from your previous one(please include your boarding setup and results)?

I would still bet that these 351's in the smaller and older Nautiques have plenty of HP's to push a heavily weighted boat without a problem. If you need a low torque prop then you are probrably using too much weight, or your boat hull takes too much weight to make a killer wake. But since you have a 2001 then you should have noticed that they don't take much weight at all to throw a great wake. Often times people make the mistake of loading too much weight which causes the wake to wash out at proper wakeboarding speeds. Then they try to correct it by going 25 mpg or so which makes it painful to wakeboard due to harder landing and crashing from the dynamics of water moving faster.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2005 at 3:32am
80nauts,

I'll defer. My observations for prop
swaps at altitude (Lake Tahoe and Lake Alminor) have
been limited to larger boats and offshores.
I have not had the chance to observe the
difference on a ski boat.

As someone suggested, for carburated boats,
it probably makes more sense to get the carb
dialed in anyway before considering a prop
change.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2005 at 2:40am
Originally posted by 80nauts 80nauts wrote:

there is mutch to gain by spending money on a different prop. Save your money for GAS.
.oh yeah my fuel economy doubled with my prop swap so it is paying for itsself. if you dont wakeboard with alot of weight you probably wont get that result
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2005 at 2:36am
at sea level there is a huge difference from my horrible stock prop to my acme 542. night and day. hands down the best money i have spent yet on my boat.so at a mile up i cant it sucking. you should not knock it till you try it. dim and acme both have a 30 day money back guarantee
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2005 at 12:16am
Hey bkhallpass,

My observations of the prop differences were done in Utah at Jordanelle Res. which is currently at 6,166.09 feet. In reality I don't think there is mutch to gain by spending money on a different prop. Save your money for GAS.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2005 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by surroundsound64 surroundsound64 wrote:

I'd be more concerned with the carb. than the prop.

True. With fuel injection I don't think about that. Dad used to tweak the carb evertime we took the boat to a high mountain
lake. I know some guys change the jets, etc.
Livin' the Dream

surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2005 at 9:09pm
I'd be more concerned with the carb. than the prop.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2005 at 8:41pm
I agree with you 80Naut. However, at elevation, the prop can make a difference.

I would recommend you do a search on this site
and on Planetnautique.com. There have been
lots of posts about changing props, and some
specifically around elevation. I'd also
recommend that you contact both Acme and OJ.
I've never talked to OJ, but the Acme guys
really know there stuff. I'm sure OJ would
be equally helpful, and it would be a good
sanity check to speak with both.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2005 at 7:20pm
I am becoming a believer of leaving your prop alone. I have a few friends who have changed their prop. They swear that it helps their boating performance, but whenever I ride on their boat I find that the performance is not there. Plus when I compare it to my stock prop I find further reason to just leave it alone. I am sure there is a science to changing prop, but I do believe that the boat manufacture did a good enough job.
Ne Owner View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ne Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2005 at 5:16pm
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are the new owners of a 2001 Ski Nautique. The boat is being delivered from NH and is coming to CO.

My question is, since we live at 5280 feet above see level and the boat is propped for sea level, what would be the best pitch and prop manufacture to use for our high altitude.

Many thanks.....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic