NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

impeller install?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jcawley3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcawley3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: impeller install?
    Posted: June-23-2005 at 1:16pm
just got new impeller in the mail anything I should know before installing?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2005 at 5:12pm
Just be sure to mark the inlet or outlet first before you pull of the pump. I but mine in backwards once and couldn't figure out why for the longest time why it was overheating. Thought I had trash down stream but doubled checked the pump and realized I had it 180' out. DUHHHhhhhh?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2005 at 6:01pm
You'd be suprized.... that pump will go on either way.
one way it will draw fresh water, the other way it will not. (The key word here is DRAW) If your using a garden hose it will circulate.

I marked my hose and pump end using 2 colored ty-raps.

I also soap up the impellar good with some dish washing soap, it makes it slippery and a little easier to get it in the housing.

That's about all.....   
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2005 at 6:40pm
There is a screw on the side of the housing. I believe it will face to the outside/gunnel and away from the engine. No need to mark if you look for it first and remember which way it is facing.
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2005 at 7:04pm
Man... I've used several different types of lube when istalling the impeller.. I saw some talked about in another thread but the best stuff is castor oil. I've never had one go bad when using that. Soaps will break down the rubber, dry it out. Never use petro based stuff either.

Soak it in castor oil for 24 hrs. And you can reuse the oil for the next time.

And there should be enough space inside there for the fins to turn around IF it is installed wrong. Just look at the way the engine turns then istall the impeller accordingly.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
jcawley3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcawley3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2005 at 8:04pm
thanks
1980 Ski Tique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980 Ski Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2005 at 10:52am
Basically the same as above. Remember the way the old one comes out and install the new one the same way. Buddy of mine (1986 Nautique) almost blew his engine installing it backwards!!!!!!!!
IrishFooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2005 at 11:56am
I have always used vasoline though this is a petroleum based product. Always been a breeze.
1979 Ski Nautique
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2005 at 12:51pm
Try KY jelly. (My doctor recommended it.) There is also some stuff called Head Job Lube but they don't sell it in auto parts stores. Just tell your wife you had to buy it for the boat. She'll understand.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
IrishFooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2005 at 8:26pm
Hey Jim Im in Med school and I wouldnt reccomend anyhting freaky like that. Just kidding- whatever works no matter how out of place it looks in the toolbox
1979 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2005 at 12:36am
Jim; Please inform us if there is any other marine uses for this Kentucky Jelly. Is it only avalible in the Bluegrass state? Is it something I should keep handy around the house?
jcawley3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcawley3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2005 at 2:14pm
thanks for the help only took about 20 min to replaced very easy.......did not need any lube went right in
S.T. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S.T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2005 at 3:45pm
Jim_In_Houston,

Being in Houston, I'm surprised your doctor didn't recommend AstroGlide. It's superior to Kentucky Jelly and was developed by NASA for critical lubrication during lift-off and re-entry. It also helped the Apollo guys get their rocks off (of the moon).
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2005 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by S.T. S.T. wrote:

Jim_In_Houston,

Being in Houston, I'm surprised your doctor didn't recommend AstroGlide. It's superior to Kentucky Jelly and was developed by NASA for critical lubrication during lift-off and re-entry. It also helped the Apollo guys get their rocks off (of the moon).

haha!
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic