Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

manifolds ok

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
92cc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: manifolds ok
    Posted: May-09-2008 at 12:43am
I could not remove exhaust manifold drain plugs last fall I drained the water with the hoses at the front of the manifolds,do you guys think the manifolds will be ok?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 12:52am
Did you put antifreeze in them after draining?

If so you will be OK.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 7:22am
Tony, If you put regular full strength antifreeze in them to mix with the water trapped in them maybe you'll be ok. If you used the RV antifreeze it being a premix, I really don't know if you would get enough protection unless you poured enough through to purge the water. Still a big maybe! Get the water hooked up to the boat and tell us what you find.

The 3/4" pipe plug can be a big problem. I've got to say a "should have" - If a impact wrench and air compressor isn't available then drill out the center of the drain plugs.

Tim, Would Tony's boat (92) be a down angle trans? Just wondering at what angle the engine is sitting at.

Tony, Were you able to sell the house up north? Sorry to hear it and that you never made it over the dam to see me. Where is the boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
92cc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 2:08pm
Hi Pete we still have the house upnorth,may not sell now,did not put antifreeze in,we went up and pulled all the boats out I drained everything else and forgot about manifolds until late oct,i was hoping with water drained to hoeight of hose fittings that there was enough room for expansion,will I see signs that there is a problem before engine damage?I can see any external cracks,I hate to take manifold off to pressure test may as well replace then.Tell me again what lake you are on I will come over and visit.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 2:18pm
Tony, It's the internal cracks that can create problem with the water getting back into the engine. Unfortunately the pressure test is the only way to tell if there are intenal problems. You may be ok! In my previous post I did ask Tim if this was a down angle trans (not sure of the year when they started) which would sit the engine level so by removing the hose like you did on the front end would get most of the water out. I'd say give it a try and keep a eye on the oil for any signs of water.

I'm on the south end of Medicine lake. Where's your place? Glad to hear you still have it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
92cc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 2:23pm
I am on the Eagle river past heckels towards watersmeet lake,easy to foind only place with three boats and two jetskis,wife thinks i am crazy,so you think I shoud try it with the current manifolds I was just worried about engine damage,money is tight right now just started new business or else I would just put new on,but dont want make big mistake.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 2:27pm
Well I am not Tim but it is very likely a down angle transmission as they started in 89, a very few exceptions are out there with a base 1:1 transmission. I would say there is a better than average chance the manifolds will be fine after pulling the front hose, although in your situation I would have lowered the tongue to the floor to help with the draining.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 2:32pm
Tony, You can cut some block off plates to fit the top of the manifolds. This way the risers only need to come off for a pressure test. Was the boat on a trailer or in a boat house? Just asking if you were able to lower the bow as much as possible. I store mine in a boat house and will lower the front of my boats just because the one block drain is forward. I do get more water out that way.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
92cc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 2:36pm
the boat was on trhe trailer tongue was down so I was able to push it into the garage,if my memeory serves me right I believe the engine is angled toward the rear,will problems be evident right away?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Well I am not Tim

Thanks for the info Joe. I mentioned Tim because it always seems that he gives me a hard time or gets offended if not asked!!!! At least I did ask and didn't make a fool out of myself with wrong info! I admit that I have done it but Tim always comes to my rescue.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 2:47pm
Tony, To be on the safe side, the pressure test isn't a bad idea.

Where are you when not up north?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
92cc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 2:59pm
I live in Tomah wi,wish I lived in eagle River,how about you?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 3:19pm
I'm in a northern suburb of Chicago - Northfield and wish I lived in Three lakes! One of these days I will and the sooner the better.

If you go with the block off plate idea, I would order up a couple sets of gaskets from Skidim. (use the link on our site) 1 set for the test and 1 for the refit. Use them for a template for the 4 holes. I'm sure someone here has the dimensions but you need the gaskets anyway. I understand the riser to manifold gasket to prone to leakage anyway. Get a bolt set at the same time.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
92cc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 4:30pm
Thanks guys bought suplies to rig schroeder valve on front port and will seal off risers air up and check pressure after it sits awhile.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 8:36pm
Tony, Excellent idea on the schroeder valve! Keep us posted. We'll all cross our fingers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
92cc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2008 at 11:11am
Everything is ok I made a fitting with a 3/4 pipe bushing with a schroeder valve screwed in and removed the risers inserted thick gasket material between riser and manifold not cut out for exhaust and water just the bolt holes,rebolted riseres on and aired up,both sides held air for over an hour.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2008 at 11:48am
Tony, Glad to hear the results. Now you don't need to worry about it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic