Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Leak stopped

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
martin 74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin 74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Leak stopped
    Posted: November-06-2007 at 4:53am
I have 74 Martinique with a 351 Waukesha Ford engine. Three years ago I added an oil drain from Ski DIM. No matter what I did couldn't get it to stop leaking at the pan connection. The drain attaches to a horizontal threaded pipe from the pan and dip stick end. It's about two inches from the bilge bottom, I just realized that the threaded pipe end is flared like a brake line. I just put a flared cap on it and solved the problem. I will use my oil suck for oil changes. Why a flaired end on this threaded pipe? Has anyone else run into this. Is a flaired fitted drain available?
Thanks
Rich
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 8:43am
Rich, Wasn't the original flare fitting screwed into the pan with a pipe thread? I'm just wondering if you were suposed to remove it. I have also seen that some flares ether JIC or SAE do work with straight nipples (properly reamed and chamfered) but they really need to be tightened well. It's not the easiest spot to get to! Take a close look at it. You said that you put a flared cap back on it. What was on it originally?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
martin 74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin 74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2007 at 3:41am
I was never able to get out the original flared fitting, but I'm sure it just screwed into the pan with pipe thread. I was afraid to force since I couldn't replace it. A flared cap was on it when I got it. The first oil change I immediately over tightened it, snapped it, lost it and forgot it was flared. It's been leaking ever since. Here are some pictures. I can't believe it was designed for the owner to remove the flared cap and drain the oil into the bilge and down the drain hole. The blue tube you see is the dipstick tube.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2007 at 8:39am
Rich, Even the old engines were never designed for the oil to be drained into the bilge and have always been sucked. The use of flare fittings on oil lines was the norm. I'm glad you posted the picture showing that the dip stick and drain are T'd into the same tapped hole in the cast pan. I have never seen a adapter from a male flare to a pipe thread but, I would take the cap to a good auto supply and see if they have something. If not, then you may need to go to a industrial suppy house. If you don't find one, then the T needs to be replaced and a flare adapter added to adapt the dip stick tube. The length of the dip stick tube will need to be shortened to compensate for the length of the flare adapter. The exsisting T may have a straight thread with a O ring or compression seal on it going into the pan. You'll need to get it off to comfirm what it is.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
martin 74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin 74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2007 at 12:17pm
Thanks, thats a big help. It doesn't leak with the new flared cap so I will leave it like that. My Ski DIM oil Suck Up works fast with no mess at all. It's faster than the oil drain anyway.
Rich
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I have never seen a adapter from a male flare to a pipe thread

Rich, I found the adapter! You can tell that I don't get into refrigeration that often! I'm surprised that some of our HVAC guys didn't chime in. I just happened to be looking at fittings and there it was!

You will need to take the cap in to the supply house so they can identify if it is a 1/4 (doubtfull) a 3/8 or a 1/2 inch flare. I really can't tell from your picture.

It is also made in a female pipe thread too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
martin 74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin 74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2007 at 4:01am
Wow, that's great. I will need 3/8. I'll check out a supply shop. I would have never thought of HVAC. Just finished winterizing this weekend.

Thanks
Rich
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic