NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

cold startup question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cold startup question
    Posted: May-29-2007 at 11:35am
I paid to have Cam research break the cam in but I still went through the 2000rpm for 20 minutes on initial start up routine.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 11:21am
I was thinking cam break in with the 30w- not engine break in. That makes more sense.

Im sure that thing screams!
82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 11:15am
Alan,

Good luck and keep us posted.

Dennis H.
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 10:02am
Tim/Dennis,

I talked to Scott from Cam Reseach and he suggested the Valvoline 20w50 for 10 hours. My machinist agreed. I changed the oil and filter after cam breakin and think I will run this oil for the 10 hours, drop down in weight and see what that does.

If that doesn't fix it I suspect I have some issues with the valve train. I plan to pull the heads next winter and go adjustable.

I'll be putting the 540 prop back on in the next few weeks but we went out with 3 peps yesterday with my old 13x13 OJ and turned it to 4900, Previously I couldn't turn that prop to 4400. No idea on speed as I didn't have a GPS handy but it was hauling the mail.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 9:55am
Alan,

Did you run at 2,ooo rpm for 20 minute break in after starting for the first time ??

My rebuilder said at first start up to run 2,000 rpm for 20 minutes to break in the cam. Said otherwise it could or may create flat spots???

I did this, then returned to idle to set timing and carburetor settings.

Dennis H.
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 9:52am
Alan,

I used Rotella-T (15w40), during my rebuild start up and have not experienced any chatter/rattle ??? I still have the oil in the motor and about 4 HRS run time. I think the rebuilder said to run 10 hrs and change to get the Assembly lube washed out. I will have to check his start-up sheet to verify.

Dennis H.
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 9:36am
Im a big fan of the Rotella-T (15w40), but Ive also heard good things about Valvoline. I dont think a little bit of clatter is a big deal, especially if youre only seeing it on cold starts. Ill let the experts weigh in though.

The literature I got from Cam Research said to run 30w oil for the break-in period, if I remember correctly. Im surprised you were told differently.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 8:53am
Put a couple more hours on the rebuild this weekend. Engine is running great but i have a concern when starting it cold. I get some top end clatter for maybe a second until oil pressure gets up top. I never had this before the rebuild, once running it won't do it again all day.

The cam manufacturer suggested I run Valvoline 20w50 racing oil for atleast the first 10 hours. Is the 20w50 just too heavy when cold or do I have another problem to address? I've gotten in the habit of not pumping the gas so it will crank a little before starting cold to try to get some oil flowing.

What are you guys with new engines running for motor oil? Anyone running Rotella and what weight?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic