NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Belts

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
85Nautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Belts
    Posted: May-25-2007 at 8:43am
Stupid question- how much play should you have in the belt that spines the alternator. Mine has a ˝” of up and down movement is that to much and should I adjust the belt or replace it.

Should I be worried about the belt for this weekend?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2007 at 8:51am
I think it should be closer to 1/4" deflection. It only takes a minute to adjust.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2007 at 8:54am
Replace your belt if you see any signs of cracking or frayed edges.

As for tension, probably hard to put a measurement on it but I tighten mine fairly tight with a breaker bar to get some leverage. I don't go super tight, just enough so the belt doesn't slip at any rpm. An alternator under a heavy load (Killer stereo)may need to be tighter as it may slip after the batteries are drawn down from a float with the tunes on.

Over tightening will affect bearing life in the alternator and raw water pump so don't over do it. I also spray my belts with a belt dressing when I change my oil.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
85Nautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2007 at 8:59am
Thanks for the help

I try to make the ajustment before I take it out Monday Morning Bright and Early boat leaves the dock 630

I love the glassy water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic