Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just bought a holley 4160, rebuild time

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just bought a holley 4160, rebuild time
    Posted: May-23-2007 at 11:09pm
I found a guy that had a marine 4160 600cfm for sale for $75 so i bought it. He said it had been rebuilt for a 302, so i'm guessing it's gonna need bigger jets and other changes. My question is, the local speed shop here has a rebuild kit for a 4160 with a 6.5 power valve, do i need a specific marine rebuild kit? Also what jets are stock? When i take it apart i want to change to the stock jets.
96 Camaro SS #1157
84 Ski Nautique, fat sacks, fly high pole
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 11:16pm
600cfm is way to much for a stock 302, modified 302 that's a little differnt.

The 6.5 PV and 65 or 66 jets should be what you need for it to work on a 351. The PV and jets are not marine specific.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 11:31pm
My limited understanding (meaning I read this somewhere) is that if a carb is properly jetted the engine size does not matter. If it is properly jetted for a 302 it should be OK for a 351. Richening the mixture with larger jets won't help anything.

I would follow 79's advise. Use the jets he said.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2007 at 12:03am
Well Jim I'm not sure I would agree that it's the jets that are the most important part of it, the throtle bore size (600cfm) plays a key roll and if it to large then it's not going to have the correct amount of vaccum generated where if it is undersized then jetting can help but ultimately the bore size of the carb needs to be matched to the heads, intake and CAM of the motor more so than the jet size does.
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2007 at 9:40pm
Must have been one hell of a 302, I pulled it apart and found 74 jets. Good news I did find a nice new 6.5 power valve though. All the gaskets are new since it was just rebuilt so it came off nice. Anything I should check to make sure the carb is not damaged at all? Also I searched for float settings, and when I turn the bowl upside down the floats are horizontal and I read in one thread that is where they should be.
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2007 at 8:33am
does anyone know the formula for CFM's verses cubic inches, Ive seen it somewhere, it would be helpful if someone found it and posted the formula, along with jetting. carburation is one of my big down falls and i learn alot from these posts
"the things you own will start to own you"
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2007 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

does anyone know the formula for CFM's verses cubic inches, Ive seen it somewhere, it would be helpful if someone found it and posted the formula, along with jetting. carburation is one of my big down falls and i learn alot from these posts
ask and ye shall receive calculator
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic