NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

64 american skier

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JayR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 64 american skier
    Posted: May-21-2007 at 9:24pm
would like to know the point gap dwell and timing settings on a 260 ford. I would also like to know what i should use for oil in the transmission, and how much should I put in. the dipstick is reading half way right now. And last but not least what should it idle at
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 9:39pm
I can't remember on the points, take them out and get yourself an electronic ignition, it's way better. The tranny originally had type A fluid, you can get it at NAPA. The best way to check is while sitting in the water. Idle around 600-700.
Tim D
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 11:57pm
What Tim said. I am very happy with my Pertronix points replacement. It costs about $100 and that is the best $100 I have spent on the boat, hands down.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 10:03pm
A pic of well spent money, better performance and easy to install.
Tim D
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 10:25pm
JayR, My book says .20" on the point gap, dwell at 26 degrees +/- 1 degree, and timing at 12 deg. Hope this helps.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 10:29pm
Timd is that the stuff you use in your tranny,.69 a quart. OK for your stuff ,but I ain't gonna use it in mine.
Would think twice about using that stuff for bar lube in my chain saw.......Just my opinion,but i don't know squat,Lets ask the Tranny Doctor.....
Code Blue Dr. Eric Levine you have a dying patient come quick.........boat dr
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 10:36pm
use dextron II or III

type A is for a manual tranny from what I remember.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 11:27pm
I like the Tru-Flo. It leaves less of a sheen on the water after I pump it out of my bilge. That Dexron III leaves a rainbow colored sheen. What I really need is a "sheen-free" fluid.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
JayR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2007 at 7:25pm
thanks for all the info guys ill try to get pics up asap.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2007 at 9:17pm
I would switch to dextron when (if ever) I rebuild the tranny. But since my 41 year old clutches have type A I'm not going to risk switching.
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic