NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vibration

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
78Ski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78Ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vibration
    Posted: April-15-2007 at 1:45pm
I was out on the lake today for about an hour, then noticed a strong vibration when under power. I put it in neutral, it wasnt coming from the engine. Started back off, it was still there. I took it easy getting back to the ramp, shut down, and waited. I started it back up and drove around and the vibration was gone. Anyone know what this could have been?

Im going to start with draining the fuild and inspecting.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2007 at 1:50pm
Do you have weeds in the lake you're at? Maybe something wound up in your prop. Did you notice a slight loss of performance too?

Where are you located that you were on a lake today? RAIN, HIGH WINDS AND COLD in the Northeast.

Ken
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2007 at 4:09pm
I'd put it back in the water again and see if the vibration re-appears before draining fluids, etc.

I agree with Ken, it could have been something caught up in the prop. I've had debris do the similar things in the past. Sticks, weeds, octopus ( ) can get caught up in the fins and prop causing this.

Hopefully it was a one time occurance
78Ski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78Ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2007 at 4:15pm
I hope it was just weeds. I saw alittle bit in the lake but didn's see any when the vibration started.

I go out on Lake Conroe (seven coves ramp) north of Houston, Tx.

Im about to drain the fluid. Hope all is well.
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2007 at 4:15pm
I'll bet sea-weed (or "lake-weed") too. Especially since you said you backed up and it was gone.
Inboards Rule!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2007 at 4:49pm
Sounds like you need a Central Florida visit Ken.....you sound tired of the weather...we have the fix for that here.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2007 at 8:42pm
Weeds can vibrate like no other. Reverse usually clears them off. I always hit reverse when I get out of my channel because its a habbit with weedy shallow channels. We picked up a huge tube rope with a hard clip on one end once in the master craft. Thought the motor was going out of the boat it started knockin so hard.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2007 at 9:14am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Sounds like you need a Central Florida visit Ken.....you sound tired of the weather...we have the fix for that here.

john

You can say that again, John. Patricia and I need a get-away. All we do is, work, work and work these days. Time for some fun.

Hope all is going well with you, John.

Ken
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2007 at 8:21pm
Put her in the car, head out of your drive and turn south. Don't stop execpt for gas till ya get to Central Florida.......then call me on the cell and I'll direct ya in. We would love to have you guys.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2007 at 9:37am
Sounds good, John. I may take you up on your offer. We need to get away, if you know what I mean.

Ken
78Ski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78Ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 8:49pm
I went out today after work. The really bad vibration is gone. Now if I could just cure the small vibration while at higher speeds. It seems to vibrate/resonate around 25mph. Im guessing its the prop, original, nicked up, 13x14. I want the acme 540, but for $300 I need more convincing that its going to be a drastic improvement.

Thanks for everyones help, now start convincing me!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2007 at 7:51am
Originally posted by 78Ski 78Ski wrote:

I went out today after work. The really bad vibration is gone. Now if I could just cure the small vibration while at higher speeds. It seems to vibrate/resonate around 25mph. Im guessing its the prop, original, nicked up, 13x14. I want the acme 540, but for $300 I need more convincing that its going to be a drastic improvement.

Thanks for everyones help, now start convincing me!

Going from a 13x14, the 540 will feel like you put a new motor in your boat.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2007 at 8:49am
With the 540 the water is butter your boat is the knife.
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
78Ski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78Ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2007 at 9:50pm
Just ordered the acme 540, stainless nyloc and new key.

I hope to have it out next weekend.

"The Lake", is your boat really a 68? The one pictured looks more like my 78, then it does the other 68s in the diaries section. Whats the HID?

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2007 at 10:00pm
78ski...good choice on the prop! It does not take much(dings) too get a prop out of balance.

The 540 is a fantasic prop....great performer and smooth as silk! You will see some difference in response in the turns too!

stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

78Ski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78Ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2007 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by The Lake The Lake wrote:

With the 540 the water is butter your boat is the knife.

The 540 is installed. I'll be cutting "butter" in an hour.
78Ski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78Ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2007 at 8:36pm
The new prop made a huge difference. It seems to have lifted the stern several inches. It rides much flater then before.

Better hole shot and a top speed of 39mph.

No more vibrations. The wake still looks great at 20mph and no weight. I'll have 4 people in it tomorrow, I'm sure it will be even better.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2007 at 10:03pm

Originally posted by 78Ski 78Ski wrote:

is your boat really a 68? The one pictured looks more like my 78, then it does the other 68s in the diaries section. Whats the HID?

Yes my boat came off the line in 1968, hull number is 1596. (I've since learned it is probably a 1969.)
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic