NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop Repairs - 540 Final Results

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 11:45pm
Ryan: Us older skiers have been using Sante for a great number of years. Can't beat their service, experiance or price. They actually care about what they are doing and know how much that prop means to the owner.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 1:52pm
I just dropped my ACME 540 off at Accutechmarine. I'm amazed with the computer equipment they have there. I was able to see on the computer how accurate my 540 is. Besides the minor dings, it has a slight bump in one of the blades. That's going to be corrected. I expect to have my prop back in four weeks. 20% discount for CCF members who send their props in.

Ken
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 1:55pm
Good work Ken. I have a few questions on how they add cup, but Ill probably bring my 470 up to them to be repaired. Ive got a bunch of other ones I might as well have baselined too (since its free).
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 1:58pm
4 weeks? in winter? interesting.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 2:04pm
You should see all the props inside this shop!!! Inboards, outboards, I/O's, lobster boats. They're pretty popular in the northeast.

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 2:09pm
I spoke to Larry, the owner today. He took the time to explain the workings of prop and how he was going to repair it. Excellent customer service.

See magazine article:

But Larry Kindberg of AccuTech Marine Propeller Inc., in North Hampton, New Hampshire, says there’s a third aspect to consider, one that’s just as crucial as   science and art. “You have to talk to the customer,” says Kindberg, who owns and operates one of the most successful computerized prop repair shops in the North-east. “As much as we can, we need to know the boat’s history, the specifics of the problem with the prop, what kind of vibration the customer is feeling, when it began, fuel consumption, everything.”

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 2:12pm
scan and post the readout Ken. It woul be nice to checkout
2fat2ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2fat2ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 2:37pm
Sante returns all the props I send to him in 1 week..and thats in the middle of the summer!! Over 10 years, I have sent all of my prop work to Al and NEVER had a customer complaint. If I'm in a super rush, I GLADLY pay the extra nominal fee and I get it back by the end of the week. I wish you all had a great prop repair facility close to you like I have with Sante Marine. I'll never switch. My loyalty is with Al and his experienced staff.
Certified Correct Craft and PCM technician
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 3:21pm
Sounds like you have a great place to send your prop, 2fat2ski. It's nice to network our resources and success stories. The more options, the better!!

Chris, I'll post a copy of the before and after computer read-outs. Pretty interesting stuff.

Ken
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 9:01am
Ken, any update?

I dropped my prop off at Accutech this weekend. He will be reparing the tip damage as well as adding cup for the same price ($130) which is the same as Acme's quote for the same work. Larry actually scanned my prop while I was there- with the exception of the tip damage (which was limited to the outermost scan), my prop looked very good.

I asked him about the Acme's he has seen that dont meet the ISO I standard, as discussed before. He said that while Acme's machining programs obviously dont vary from prop to prop, CNC machines are very sensitive to calibration. If too many props are manufactured between cal routines, that may explain the variation he has seen.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 10:54am
Hey Tim,

Yes, I got my prop shipped back a couple of weeks ago. Looks like new. He gave me the data showing the finished specs. You can probably understand it better than I can. They also shined it up real nice!

I'll try to scan in the specs.

Ken
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 11:08am
It would be interesting to see them. If you dont mind, it would be great to see pics of the repaired damage too!

How much did it cost to have the prop shipped back to you?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 11:44am
Hey Tim,

The prop is at my parents house. I'll have some pictures soon. I think the shipping was $15 or so, I can't recall exactly. Larry gave a $30.00 discount because of CCF.Com. All members get a discount.

I'll send over the specs.

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 12:09pm
Here are the documents from Accutechmarine.

Ken
lkindber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkindber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 8:06am
Ken:

Thanks for your comments, however I would like to address some corrections.

The first item that is very important is the statement in one of the posts regarding my saying that Acme is not ISO compliant. What I said was that on occasion when we receive a new propeller from Acme, we have found that they were sometimes out of tolerance. I suspect that this is mostly due to shipping and handeling damage. We have found on some other brands of "CNC" propellers, that they too do not meet ISO Class 1 (or whatever class we order) tolerance. Acme makes a great propeller and in my discussions with them, I'm convinced that they are committed to the highest quality. I caution everyone that purchases a new propeller not to assume that it is accurate. We at AccuTech check and correct every new propeller before our customer receives it. Its truly amazing what we see out of the box!

Regarding ISO 484/2 class tolerances and the write-ups on my web page. Please understand that we work on propellers from 6" to 60" in diameter that are used on everthing from electric powered launches to 200' dinner boats. The .050" tolerance referred to is in matching multiple engine applications. The ISO class tolerances as required by 484/2 are adhered to within either the Prop Scan or Hale MRI programming and cannot be altered. However, for those folks that always feel that they are being cheated, I'm sure that there is a way to bypass the safeguards built into the systems. We do not subscribe to that type of business model.

To address performance of tuned propellers. I wish that I could give first hand accounting of improvements on ski boats. I cannot...I can only offer the comments of our customers that own such boats as documented in our annual customer surveys. Personally, I can attest to ISO class tuning on my own 38' diesel powered sportfisherman. One word...awsome!

As far as pricing, we try to be competitive. Currently, the flat rate to repair (not ressurect a miracle)a nibral ski boat propeller is $150. Through the request of Ken, I have agreed to allow a 20% discount to the members of this forum. Trust me...I'm not getting rich off of this as we generally put 2-4 hours into a tune and recondition. Shop labor rate is $65/hr...do the math! Smaller props are more difficult to properly tune.

Pitch blocks vs Prop Scan or Hale MRI? No comparison! We have checked props right out of a pitch block shop. This was ok 15 years ago, but not today with our high tech boats and motors.

Please keep in mind that when visiting our web site, we are addressing a general audience with a broad spectrum of needs. The readers of this forum are highly focused on one boat and use. Feel free to contact me by email or phone with specific questions regarding your needs. Our interests are no different than yours...performance and quality!

Larry

Larry
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 11:42am

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 12:15pm
Looks great Ken- more shiny than new!

Anyone know what the best method is to polishing brass/nibral underwater gear? I have some metal polish in a blue can that worked great on the pylon, but didnt do much for my tracking fins when applied by hand.

Larry, thanks for searching us out and giving us your insight. I may bring my other Acme props in to be baselined... Im curious how they stack up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 12:36pm
Larry and team did a fantastic job with my 540. It gives me confidence to know that they take many steps to ensure top performance. There used to be a day (when I owned a 85HP Mercury outboard) when it seemed OK to have dents and dings in the prop. Now it seems like everything comes down to having the perfect prop. Now I have nothing to blame my crappy slalom skiing on!

Ken

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 5:23pm
That's why I dont'e own the latest and greatest golf clubs, nothing to blame my crap game on when you have the latest and greatest.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 10:52pm
I agree with you 87. Old clubs make for low expectations, and you feel better hitting out of rocky creek beds with them.

Ken the prop looks great, I got to believe it will sharpen up your turns.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
2001_Cuz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001_Cuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2007 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

Larry and team did a fantastic job with my 540. It gives me confidence to know that they take many steps to ensure top performance. There used to be a day (when I owned a 85HP Mercury outboard) when it seemed OK to have dents and dings in the prop. Now it seems like everything comes down to having the perfect prop. Now I have nothing to blame my crappy slalom skiing on!

Ken

I am sure you will blame your crappy skiing on your retard driver. I don't think that will change. Plus you tend to ski down to the lowest level in the boat.

signed - the retard driver
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2007 at 10:44am
Yes, that's right, average slalom ski ability it due to my driver. He can't work the throttle and steer at the same time. What good is a finely tuned Nautique with a finely tuned prop when your driver needs assistance firing up the boat? The helmet and knee pads come off next week.

Ken
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2007 at 11:06am
I used to blame my lack of skills on the driver/boat but now that I have a SN and a perfect pass I am not sure I have much of a case anymore... but I swear he can find waves on a glass calm day...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2007 at 11:38am
Oder of blame:
1- Equipment
2- Conditions
3- Hang over
4- Driver
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2007 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Barracuda Barracuda wrote:

Oder of blame:
1- Equipment
2- Conditions
3- Hang over
4- Driver

LOL, Brad . I like your order! #3 is priceless.

Ken
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2007 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

Originally posted by Barracuda Barracuda wrote:

Oder of blame:
1- Equipment
2- Conditions
3- Hang over
4- Driver

LOL, Brad . I like your order! #3 is priceless.

Ken

#5 driver harrassing the skier when you don't get up the first time: too many donuts for breakfast.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2007 at 12:22pm
The hangover may apply to the skier and/or driver.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2007 at 5:12pm
well would the skier preffer the driver to keep drinking therefore avoiding the hang over.. Just kidding all those were very good excuses have to remember them.

You guys scare me about going to GL. I am not by any means an expert at any of the skis I like to ride. Just always been a big fan of going out and having fun. Doesn't help that I don't get a lot of lake time. Doesn't work suck. Plus due to bone head jet ski riders have the balls are usually missing from the ski course.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2007 at 4:55pm
I picked up my prop from Accutech today- I figure this is an appropriate place to share my results.

I'll withold the final verdict until I get a chance to water test the prop, but I must say I am very pleased with what I see. They were able to tune my prop to ISO Class S standards (this is a step more stringent than Class 1). I also had 2 brand new Acme's baselined while I was there- one was solidly a Class 1, the other had a slight variation in one blade which just barely dropped it to Class 2.

Visually, 79 was right- the CNC lines are still visable, but not as pronounced. This is due to the surface grinding of the prop (it has no affect on performance). Here's a comparison shot- the reworked prop is on the right.

My final scan results look very similar to Kens, but I may post the before vs. after results next week. For $120 (which included our site discount) Accutech repaired all my damage, added cup (I went from .105 to .130), and provided a full documentation package. Pricing was very competetive with Acme's repair service and other shops in my area, so Id say I definitely got my money's worth.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2007 at 5:54pm
Can't wait to try them on the water!!! Tim, I'll have mine on the water in two weeks. Can't wait.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic