NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringers

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 10>
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2019 at 2:27pm
Breadth of info here for a thread titled “Stringers”
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2019 at 3:55pm
One more congratulations on the fine seat work. Very classy look.
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2019 at 7:04pm
Thanks Guys I can easily fabricate the seat bases now.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2019 at 7:21pm
I'm sure you will come up with something. Originally Correct Craft used an aluminum extrusion that allowed a bolt to come up from the bottom and yet the bolt head was not poking into the pan. Rather than staking the bolt they used a nut much like a nylon insert lock nut and from the top placed that nut to hold the bolt tight. Then the seat frame was drilled so that it piloted on top of that lock nut with the rest of the bolt length protruding through the seat frame so the chrome hold down was easy to attach- a simple and easy to use solution requiring no tools to remove a seat.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2019 at 11:27am
Hey you should open a Upolstry shop nautiquehunter. That’s money , great shape and detail
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2019 at 11:40am
Looks to me like the best way to do it would be to make the bottom plate with tapped holes in it to match the pattern of the top part. Then use S/S Heli coils or inserts. Then affix the bottom plate to the floor or pan. The top plate could then be secured with knobs with a stud coming out of them. With this setup you would not have these studs sticking up from the floor when the seat is removed. Stepping on them would not be fun.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Vtox39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vtox39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2020 at 2:27am
Mike and Gail your project looks awesome! You guys are so talented I’m so glad you gave me a big helping hand on my first boat fix up. You guys made it fun and enjoyable. What a stringer job and I can’t imagine the hull work on the bottom!    
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2021 at 6:28pm
Work has finally started again on the 67 . Thanks to all the time off between wooflew and holidays it has really started to move forward. Trying to get it done before the SJRR in march. If progress continues I just might make it.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2021 at 6:35pm
When I got the boat it came with a ladder on the back not only was it bent but it looked useless since it didn't go deeper than the bottom of the hull. I am thinking about building a wood swim platform on the rear . what do you think the pros and cons would be .

DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2021 at 8:59pm
The benefit of a swim platform is tremendous for water sports. I couldn’t do without mine as I ski 3-4 days per week from March to November. Some will say keep it original. I say keep it usable. I had a friend with an old Hydro Dyne outboard. I had to it my slalom ski on in the boat and flip over the gunwale to enter the lake. Unnecessary.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2021 at 5:45am
Tweety is looking great Mike!!! Cool  You know me... I say keep it original but I also know with Kermit of what a PITA it is to get in the boat after a ski or a swim. As much as I hate platforms on the back of 60's boats I say do it. I know you and Gail and on days that will allow you to use the boat without competing with the 40 ft yacht wakes you will want easy access to get back in the boat.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2021 at 6:13am
Back in the days when men were men and we barefooted with cutoffs and a ski belt. the weak used over the gunnel ladders.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2021 at 7:44am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Back in the days when men were men and we barefooted with cutoffs and a ski belt. the weak used over the gunnel ladders.

Pete, pictures or it never happened. Whats that thing on the back of your Tique?

The Mustang is looking great and will look fine with a platform and it will be so much more enjoyable to spend a day on the lake with.  
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2021 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Whats that thing on the back of your Tique? 

Bruce,
The ladder is simply a option. 

BTW, my Tique isn't a 60's CC. Big smile

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2021 at 8:06am
The boat is looking great Mike and Gail !
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2021 at 9:08am
At 65 and moderately overweight I will need something to get back in . The ladder that was mounted on the back I think was original one of the legs is bent so it will have to be replaced but it still only goes to the bottom of the transum .I don't see how that will be much help . I think it will take away from the lines of the boat even more than the platform. I just spent 2 years grinding out and filling 10,000 cracks in the gelcoat . The last thing I want to do is to hang a ladder off the side and watch it scratch. If anybody has a mid 60's Mustang with a platform can you measure the location of the brackets from the bottom of the hull and distance to the sides . This boat has never seen water since I got it . I have no idea where the water line was or will be now.   

jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2021 at 9:09am
I vote for the platform 
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2021 at 10:07am

Michael,
Wow, you sure have been doing the grinding on all those spider cracks but the results will pay off. The hull is sure looking great

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2021 at 11:45am
Pete, I've got one of those hook ladders for the Mustang and do use it from time to time. Even though it folds up it still takes up precious space in a confined boat to start with. My wife will use it but doesn't like it at all. She'll swim to a raffted up boat, use their platform to get back in the boat before she uses the ladder. I already gave Mike the 3rd degree and riot act about using a 80's Supra pylon in this boat instead of the OEM ring and finger which he caved after I reconditioned the old for him so I'll throw him a bone and agree to the platform.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2021 at 7:09pm
The work continues big push taking advantage of some slow time at work. Working on the fuel tank install very tight but I think it will fit . Wife and I finished up the side panels and gunnel wraps. If I can stick with it I should have the drive train back in by the weekend. I pulled the aluminum rub rails out of the barn only to find I don't have all the pieces .Looks like the rear corners are missing. I will try to find pics of what its supposed to look like.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2021 at 7:59pm
Holy smokes Mike I think that's George Banana Blair's first Cypress Gardens Banana Boat! Great job you and Gail are doing Thumbs Up  
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2021 at 2:18am
Agreed, that is looking awesome.  You must be reeling in job satisfaction!

D
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

2001 Super Air Nautique
1989 Fairline Corniche 31

www.bannrivercruises.co.uk
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2021 at 5:20am
Outstanding! in awe of the talent and execution
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2021 at 5:34am
Mike,
Great job on the upholstery. You should go into the business! (or your wife) Wink

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2021 at 5:47am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Mike,
Great job on the upholstery. You should go into the business! (or your wife) Wink

Gail does Fantastic work! She did the Drivers seat and observer seat bottom in Miss Scarlett and recently made a custom cover with side skirts for her too using Sunbrella canvas. She's a woman of many talents... She sold us the lake home we're in too. Looking good Mike. Holla' if you need an extra hand this weekend.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2021 at 6:59am
Very nice indeed
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2021 at 7:33am
Thanks guys its not a museum piece there are plenty of flaws if you look close enough . I wish I had started with something in better shape to start with . It's been 2 years and endless hours . When I think back to when I first got it my brother in law said you gotta be nuts to fix that thing . Then Morfoot came over and went crazy over the fact I had a Mustang. He has been very encouraging and supportive keeping me on track . I got the boat for free I am still debating whether I paid  too much. The name of the boat is Tweety in line with Tims Kermit.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2021 at 9:11am
Very nice. Looking forward to more updates!
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2021 at 11:43am
That will be an eye catcher once it's on the water!!
What dedication and a fine job!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2021 at 8:47am
We are working on the interior . I set the seats engine cover and pylon in boy is this boat getting SMALL . I think it was made for kids or munchkins . The rear seat is next then the drive train . I will post pics later.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 10>
  Share Topic