NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No Spark

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
THEKING00 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEKING00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Spark
    Posted: May-19-2018 at 9:04pm
I know there are many, many threads on no spark in the forums but I feel like I have a unique situation with some "what ifs". So I swapped my 351w from my 87 sn2001 into the 89 hull. I finally got everything in the boat and hooked up, but cant seem to get any spark. From the ignition coil, Still have points on the boat, and I have never messed with them. There is a faint spark when turning the motor over coming out of the coil. Checked the ballast resistor (12v) and getting power up to the ignition coil (checked the + and -) sides of the coil. Will the oil temp indicator light on the dash being on cause anything to be locked out? also, could there be any conflictions in using the harness out of the 89 plugged into the harness from my 87 motor? I need help narrowing down my problem
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2018 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by THEKING00 THEKING00 wrote:

, Still have points on the boat, and I have never messed with them. There is a faint spark when turning the motor over coming out of the coil. Checked the ballast resistor (12v) and getting power up to the ignition coil (checked the + and -) sides of the coil. Will the oil temp indicator light on the dash being on cause anything to be locked out? also, could there be any conflictions in using the harness out of the 89 plugged into the harness from my 87 motor? I need help narrowing down my problem

Them words about having points but never messed with them jump right out and make me think you ought to mess with them and maybe you'll get your spark

You haven't said a whole lot about how you checked things to see the faint spark.

You have an oil pressure light and a water temperature light on the dash but neither of those have any affect on your spark

The harness shouldn't be an issue from 87 to 89   
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2018 at 9:24am
Did the 87 engine run before you dropped it into the 89 and if so, how long ago did it run? Did you clean up the point set contact faces? Did you try to mimic the point set by disconnecting it and then grounding the - side of the coil? Yes, as Ken mentioned, maybe you should mess with a point set more.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic