NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 w/ Holley Carb 4160 - fuel inlet leakage

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2017 at 10:53am
Ken and Pete have it covered. I'll add that proper tools are key for getting these joints to be leak free. The adapter is 1" and can be done with a thin adjustable, but a relatively thin 1" open ended wrench is preferred. For the flare fitting, you'll want a true fuel line wrench- 5/8" is most common. (This will prevent further damage from tightening with a typical open end wrench). Amazon sells a set with various sizes for pretty cheap (<$15).

You want to tighten the adapter to the bowl first, then finish torquing the flare fitting into the adapter last. While doing the latter, you'll want to hold the adapter in place with the 1" wrench (putting pressure in the direction that would loosen it in the carb bowl, to prevent it tightening along with the flare fitting). Both pieces need to be pretty tight to keep the joint leak free.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2017 at 10:23am
OK, so I took my own picture

Here's what you should have with a 351 Ford fuel bowl

If you have more pieces than that, somebody must have made changes over the years

A gasket, the adapter fitting and the fuel line with the flare fitting and it's nut.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2017 at 9:24am
Here's a link to what you're probably calling Bolt A. Uunless somebody really mangled it you shouldn't need one unless you just feel like spending money
link

You should just need the gasket that Pete gave you a link to. It goes between the Adapter and the fuel bowl.

The flare nut threads into the adapter with no gasket or sealer or anything,

Do it the way Pete said.in his post

There is no gasket because that is a flare fitting and the nut tightens down on the flared end of the tubing to provide the seal with the mating surface inside the adapter.

it'll hold a lot more pressure than a carburetor ever sees.

Edit   I see that I gave you a link to what you're calling Bolt B and I'm calling Bolt A so I don't have a clue what you're calling Bolt A.

A picture sure would help right about now

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2017 at 6:57am
Chris,
Leakage between the brass flare adaptor and the carb body is fairly common. It happens when the adaptor and the fuel line flare nut are tightened and the hard steel fuel line is twisted/wound up. Then with engine vibration, the steel line untwists the adaptor. First, get a new gasket for the adaptor. Then after tightening the adaptor to the carb body attach the hard fuel line BUT, put a small amount of grease between the steel fuel line and the flare nut. What this will do is allow the steel fuel line to twist in the flare nut as it is being tightened so the steel fuel line isn't wound up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
cnelson0641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnelson0641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2017 at 1:25am
Hey guys

I'm having some fuel leakage where the rigid metal fuel line (connecting the fuel pump to the carb) is leaking carb-side. Before I mention where it's leaking, here's how I (an unexperienced mechanic) see the pieces fitting together (parts below listed in order moving from the carb to the fuel line):

- Carb fuel inlet
- Bolt A - screws into the carb inlet at what I think is 7/8" or 1" ( can't find a link to this part; anyone know of one? )
- Bolt B - screws into Bolt A at something smaller ( http://www.skidim.com/images/R024025.jpg )
- Gasket - attaches to Bolt B ( between Bolt B and Bolt A; or Bolt B and the fuel line? )
- Fuel line - screws into Bolt B

So my issue is that I have slight leakage (1 drop every 20 seconds at 1,200 rpm; I found this while warming the engine up) that appears to be coming from between the carb fuel inlet and Bolt A. I had this issue a couple weeks ago and I was able to tighten Bolt A or Bolt B (can't remember which one actually tightened) and the leak stopped.

Bolt B is brass and looks pretty chewed up from where a previous owner probably tightened it as well. I'm wondering:

- Has anyone had this issue before? Where was the leakage?
- What side does the gasket go on (Bolt A side or fuel line side)?
- Should I just replace Bolt B and the gasket?
- Can anyone link to somewhere I can buy Bolt A?

Thanks!

--Chris N.
"Two rules, kid - ya gotta want it, and ya gotta give'r."

1983 SN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic