NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How many RPMs??

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2006 at 10:19am
Ethanol has been in gas since the 80's and you don't have to have the vapor recovery systems for the gas to contain it. There are very few places I've been that have the vapor systems. California is about the only place that it is everyware and has been since the 80's
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2006 at 10:12am
Actually, parts of Texas just got Ethanol. There are a few counties in Texas that are classified as polution zones and they have had Ethanol for quite a few years. I figured the rest of the country was the same way. Most counties in Texas still do not have vapor recovery systems on their gas pumps - only the counties in the "polution zones" (usually the counties with the large metropolitan cities).
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2006 at 10:05am
ethanol has been in your gas for years at a 10% level if you are using the e-85 then that's a mistake and you should stop using it.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2006 at 10:03am
My boat will turn 6000 too. (If it's out of the water.)

Has anyone else noticed a drop in power from the new Ethanol? I am going to check my timing to see if something changed but I am suspecting the drop in power comes from the same problem that has caused my fuel compsumption to skyrocket on my Jeep.

I have noticed that my max RPMs on the '68 have just taken a 500RPM drop for an undetermined reason. Anyone else experence an RPM drop lately?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2006 at 9:54am
He won't want a 542 if he's got the 1.23 tranny.

Mr. Green, it sounds like your prop has more pitch than your motor can turn. You should be closer to 4400RPM @ 42MPH for top speed with a stock 240 horse 351w.

Get some dimensions off your prop and the ID tag off the motor (on the intake manifold) to figure out which transmission you have and we can go from there.
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2006 at 8:55am
buy an acme 542. that boat ill come alive. it will still only run 46ish at 4600 rpms. but will get there in half the time.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2006 at 8:46am
mine turns 5500-6000 rpm depending on the prop I have on it.
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2006 at 7:57am
I agree with PLBC.
Call SKIDIM's tech line. Give them the specs of your current prop and they can tell you what range (rpm & speed) that prop should run.
The only reason I was looking was to find and alternate prop, dinged mine, and didn't want to wait to have it repaired. In my case, it turns out the prop I had was too large. The new prop gave me a much getter whole shot, punchy acceleration at alternate speeds, and gained about 800 rpm's @WOT. Before, the boat ran around 46 WOT, with the new prop it's at least the same, if not a little better. FWIW, I got the OJ XMP. Wish I'd remembered the GPS for an accurate top end note.
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 9:41pm
It is also possible that your speedo is off a tad.
Mr.Green View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 8:56pm
I dont seem to have much of a problem though. So your saying I should go to a prop that will rev to 5000 RPMs and loose top end speed? Or can I get a little of both if I get the motor to the right RPM? What is the optimum RPM?? I will check the prop tomorrow.

duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 7:30pm
The first thing I'd do is check to see what prop you have. I had a similar problem on my 89 SN and after replacing the existing prop, it was a night and day difference.
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
Mr.Green View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 6:20pm
I just bought a 1989 Sport Nautique. At full throttle it says 4000 RPM and 38 MPH. A dude pacing me on his sit down jet ski said we were doing 44 MPH. A buddy at work says his Malibu does over 5000 RPM at around 44 MPH. I have a 3 blade stainless prop, I need to check the specs. It seems to pull skiers and tubers out just fine and is running fine. This doesnt all add up. What am I missing?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic