NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

90 SN 351 idle problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 2:30pm
you've been pretty patient standing in the wind pissing on your self for a long time fighting a idle issue and doing a compression test trying to fix it.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 2:19pm
it is short, so is my patience...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 2:18pm
sure sounds like it's been a while, or your memory is short
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 2:12pm
don't know what the timing is I don't have the boat in front of me.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 2:09pm
so the choke needs replaced, if your getting gas in the oil then you have a manifold leak which is also your vaccum leak.

so what is the timing since it been triple checked?
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 1:57pm
conv was done to spec. there is no timing problem currently; it has been checked over by a third party as well.

the choke is sticking on start up so I have to open it manually to start. I may be getting gas either on the dipstick or out the exhaust, regardless I'm burning more fuel than usual.

btw that link is great tommer!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 1:52pm
did you re-time the engine when you installed the E-conversion? if not then the timing is correct. Did you read the instructions for the kit and by-pass the ballast resistor or by a coil with an internal resistor according to the instructions of the kit?

your problem is a vaccum leak, timing and/or carb issue and if cann't find the leak, or the timing is off then dicking with the carb is going to do nothing until they are fixed.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 1:37pm
Check out this link.

http://www.recarbco.com/technical/newtrouble.html

I find it pretty helpful
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 1:36pm
I don't think your above post is fair. I've stated all that I can as to what I've done with this boat. I'm just looking for a little help. I realize the importance of proper timing and I'm telling you that the timing is fine and it was handled first and this idle problem has been around before and after the timing was set and the points were junked.

I proably should have had the carb rebuilt first but it is a lot more work that I can't do and its a lot more $$$. I did the conv myself and have done it before on my old boat that was a 79supreme. I also replaced the coil and have inspected all the plug wires. I am not a mechanic but have dealt with the 351 a fair bit in the last 10 years. I don't know if you are a cowboy or not, but the fact that every other member who has posted on here says carb, leads me to believe its a carb problem; just as I suspected initially and what my mechanice who builds raceboats told me. He doesn't work with pcm ever other than my boat so I wanted to see what everyone else thought about this situation.

I thank everyone for all the help so far.

However, I would appreciate more empathy from a senior member.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 1:23pm
in other words you realy don't have a clue on the order of things and how the engine should be set and that your idle starts with the timing and idle mixture screws and idle screw in that order.

you have to set the timing and dwell, if points, then you adjust the idle mixture screws and then you adjust base idle, then you adjust the accel pump and choke if needed.

Your just shooting in the dark guessing at crap, otherwise you wouldn't be dicking around with items that would effect the whole rpm range and not just base idle.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 12:50pm
not sure what its set at, but its not timing related. This is a problem I've had since the boat was new. I may have gone about it backwards by doing the ignition before the fuel system, but changing to elec ing. was cheap and easy. I will double check the timing to be sure it is set correctly, and we did look at it before the boat hit the water this summer.

I have no doubts this is a carb/fuel system problem, possibly worst case is the head gasket or blown case, but I find it unlikely with the way this boat runs. Once again its a idle problem we've had since we got the boat. new timing, starter, tranny, full diagnostic last summer including compression test.

If anyone can elaborate on David's response I am leaning towards what he has said as to what is going on with this boat.

thanks,
Kyle
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 12:32pm
so what is it set at? just because you set it last year doesn't mean it's correct now.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 12:19pm
yes timing is good. New electronic conv. last year.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 12:17pm
have you set the timing correctly? if it's off then you've been waisting your timing messing with the carb and have to start over.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 11:34am
David, thank you for the response.

You seem to have a good take on the situation.

I'm almost positive the carb has never been rebuilt and now with the choke sticking it makes sense that its letting fuel pass directly into the combusiton chamber. I'm not positive, but it smelled like gas on the dipstick although I couldn't tell visually or by touch if there was gas in it.

I turned up the idle speed to compensate for the stall at idle and when you put it in gear. This of course causes increased stress on the tranny but the boat will only get an hour or 2 of use like this until the carb is rebuilt.

the oil pressure backs off to around 10psi when I put it in gear with the idle set as it is. once you return it to neutral 20-30psi is average, and I don't get more than 40psi at speed. When the idle is set down (when the boat stalls out) the oil pressure is very low and the idiot light comes on; if you rev it up in neutral or increase the speed of the boat the light goes off and the oil pressure comes back above 20psi.

any other insight is greatly appreciated
thanks,
Kyle
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 11:13am
Kylecraft:

My thoughts:

1. Your carb is flooding the engine, hence the poor idle. May be choke AND/OR needle valve related.
2. The excess fuel in the cylinders (when engine not running) is seeping past the rings and contaminating the oil with fuel. A new carb or rebuild of the one you have will fix problem. Do it soon, or the excess fuel in the cyliners will contribute to excessive cylinder wall wear and loss of compression (the fuel washes the oil off the cylinder walls).
3. The linkage issue is common. Fine adjust the linkage at the transmission end. The neutral safety switch is preventing the starter from operating due to the misadjustment.
4. Low oil pressure at idle could simple be a faulty sending unit or poor electical connections. How low is low? 20psi on a warm engine I have seen before.

Good luck.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2006 at 10:27am
I guess we'll wait and see what your mech says.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2006 at 12:38am
haha funny Since I got this boat I thought the worst from the get go; blown case, block, trans, etc.. The engine runs hard, so I hardly think its blown (I've never "blown" a 4 stroke motor b4; only 2stroke), but you never know I guess.
this boat has been a nightmare; at least 7k so far into it and I bought it for 14k CAD 4 years ago. It is a nice boat, just neglected badly and I am the bearer of the abuse. The hull is still very strong as well so once I get the motor worked out and some renew graphics it will run mint just gotta get to the bottom of it
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2006 at 12:25am
Quaker State Synthetic! YIKES!!!!
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2006 at 12:09am
thanks for the quick replies everyone.

as far as the gas in the oil; would this rear its head even if compression tested normal?

could some kind of hydro-lock cause this problem? a bad seal or clocked vent maybe?

I have a sneaking suspicion its carb related, but obviously I'm being optimistic.

I don't know for sure if there's gas on the dipstick. I changed the oil on saturday and ran the boat for 3-4 engine hours all weekend. It ran great save for the poor idle and choke sticking.

The oil is dark in color now and dirty, and smelled like gas I thought, but not sure. Its quaker state synthetic 10w30 which I haven't used before (only used reg. 10w30). I checked the dipstick a number of times on sat and sun to make sure I had enough oil in the case and couldn't even see it on the stick; it was so clear. Then after an hour or 2 on the water yesterday and today (monday) the oil is dirty???

any other hints? I am having my mech. look at it this week and although he is better than I at these kind of things (I did have a 79 supreme with a 351 for 7 years) he is in business and I am not...

all help is graciously appreciated.
cheers,
KC
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2006 at 3:52pm
yeash, lots of problems, but I smell a blown powervalve or drippy float needle
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2006 at 3:31pm
Another thought for the CCFan research dept., would a cracked or broken ring result in a mixing of fuel and oil? Would his compression test indicate a cracked or broken ring?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2006 at 3:19pm
Kyle,

You're getting gas on the dipstick? Oh man. I hate to be the bearer of bad news and I hope I am wrong but based on what you are saying I'm betting on a bad head gasket. This could be the reason for the bad idle and the mixing of oil, what appears to be gasoline, and water.

I suspect your "throttle linkage - wont start" problem is a minor adjustment of your neutral safety switch on your tranny. This is an easy fix.

We'll see what others say about the oil and fuel problem.

As to low oil pressure at idle, I'm a little stumped here. My first thought would be a faulty oil pump but you just never see those go bad. Combined with your other problems maybe you only have a gasket or sealing problem somewhere allowing oil and fuel to mix and pass into a water passage - but I can't imagine where or how.

Sounds bad guy.

Of course if the block is cracked a bad head gasket would be good news.

If it where mine, I'd pull the heads and see what I could see.

First, pull you spark plugs and look for fouling and evidence of water. Make note of which cylinder the fouled plugs came out of. This will help point you to the right area when inspecting your block and heads.

If after you pull your intake you see obvious evidence of leakage around the intake you may not have to pull your heads.   

Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2006 at 2:49pm
I am having consistent problems with this boat and don't know what to do.

I've replaced the tranny, starter, battery, coil, new conv. to elec. ignition, comp. test last year that was great.

so up til now I thought all I needed was a carb rebuild; not so sure now, but I will order one from dim this week.

at idle the boat will stall when it gets warm; there's little to no oil pressure at idle whether in gear or not. Other than this the boat runs great at speed. so I turned up the idle speed to compensate. Now with the idle speed set high I seem to be getting gas on the dipstick and I am burning more fuel and you can smell it and see it in the water (don't know if its related)

Other problem that is connected is the choke seems to stick so when you go to start it sometimes you have to pull the arrestor off and open the choke manually - starts right up and no problems running it after that. It will also start right up usually if you turn it off for just a few minutes, more than that and you have to open the choke manually again...

other problem is the linkage seems to stick so when you go to start it from time to time it wont turn over at all - the guages work and all you have to do is fiddle with the throttle back and forth and its fine - I know its the linkage, how do I fix it and would it contribute to my choke and fuel problems?

so just a recap, I know its a long one and any help is much appreciated.
1. poor idle
2. fuel in crankcase
3. throttle linkage - wont start

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic