NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seeking advice on gel coat restore

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bpurnell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpurnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seeking advice on gel coat restore
    Posted: December-13-2016 at 5:14pm
I am working on restoring the gel coat on my 1991 Ski Nautique. This is my first time tackling this kind of project and I would appreciate some advice.

Here is my plan:

3M Rubbing Compound (05954) applied with 3M Superbuff Compounding Pad (05704) @ 1500 RPM

3M Finesse-it II Glaze (35928) applied with 3M Superbuff Polishing Pad (05705) @ 1500 RPM

Star Brite Premium Marine Polish with PTEF applied by hand.

3M Ultra Performance Paste Wax applied by hand.

Let me know what you guys think. I am specifically wondering if I need to be using a foam or synthetic pad for machine polishing.

Thanks

Brian
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2016 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by bpurnell bpurnell wrote:

3M Rubbing Compound (05954) applied with 3M Superbuff Compounding Pad (05704) @ 1500 RPM

3M Finesse-it II Glaze (35928) applied with 3M Superbuff Polishing Pad (05705) @ 1500 RPM

I have used with great results. I used a foam pad for the Glaze but was planning on switching to wool next time round. The boat shines. It will remove oxidation really well and leave the gel nice and glossy.

I don't know anything about the Star Brite product but you probably don't need it. Looks like a cleaner wax to me (polish and wax) I'd probably skip it as you won't need another polish after the 3m Glaze and go straight to waxing. I use Collinite Liquid Fleetwax but 3M should be great too.

96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2016 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

3M Super Duty Compound on a 1" pile wool pad, 2x
3M Perfect-It II Compound on a 1.5" pile wool pad, 1x
3M Finesse-It II Finishing Material (this is a polish) on a wool/acrylic blend polishing pad, 2x
Collinites 925 wax, by hand with a microfiber cloth

There is a thread discussing this topic in the FAQ section, and would be a good read for you before you get started.   I quoted Tim's recommendations from the previous thread.    I agree that the StarBrite is not necessary, and also would add that the super duty compound to Finesse- it II is too big a step.   I would use Perfect it II compound instead of the StarBrite so that you can get the scratch marks out from the super duty compound.    I have used this system on paint with very nice results.   Using the system on Gel should produce an even better result as the Gel will take more of a shine.    
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2016 at 9:25pm
Brian,
Kris mentioning the FAQ thread is a fantastic suggestion. If you haven't found it yet, take a few minutes and take a look at all the links to great info. The gel buff thread link is in the 3rd post.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 1:52am
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

[]
super duty compound to Finesse- it II is too big a step.   .    

Have you tried this? The two step process worked really well for me and it's one of the most recommended combination I came across on the internet.

I am honestly asking and not disagreeing. I have only ever done the two steps but if you have seen a difference using perfect it compound, then I will give it a try next time I do my boat.
96 Super Sport
bpurnell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpurnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 2:13am
Thanks, I looked at the FAQ page.

I gave the wrong 3M code for the product I was planning to use for the first step. It is 3M Rubbing Compound (09004). It says on the bottle to follow-up with 3M Marine Finess-it II Glaze.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 7:31am
Originally posted by Blamey Blamey wrote:

[]

Have you tried this? The two step process worked really well for me and it's one of the most recommended combination I came across on the internet.

I am honestly asking and not disagreeing. I have only ever done the two steps but if you have seen a difference using perfect it compound, then I will give it a try next time I do my boat.

Yes, too big of a step for optimal results. You can see the micro scratches left by the SD that the Finesse-It II couldn't remove in 1-2 passes. The intermediate step will ultimately save time and produce a better shine.
bpurnell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpurnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 9:03am
Thanks for the advice. Which Perfect-it II product do you recommend? There seems to be several. Do you happen to have the 3M Product code?
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 12:15pm
Use 3M Perfect-it rubbing compound. 3M Number: 06085
96 Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Yes, too big of a step for optimal results. You can see the micro scratches left by the SD that the Finesse-It II couldn't remove in 1-2 passes. The intermediate step will ultimately save time and produce a better shine.

Cool, Next time round I'll do a two stage of Perfect It compound then Marine Glaze.

Another question is what do you all do for maintenance? I was considering doing a cleaner wax at the start of the season and then wax in the middle and again at the end end of summer.

Generally how often do you need to Polish to maintain the gel coat. I don't want to overdo it but want to try and keep it look good.
96 Super Sport
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 1:57pm
Answer has a lot to do with how much exposure the boat get's Paul. My 05' as an example, garage stored or under canopy on the lift 98% of the time, this past spring was the first time it needed a polish and just used a mild polish with an orbital buffer. I typically only wax in the spring, have always used Collonite Paste up until this spring as I ran out, used Meguires Flagship marine wax and there was an obvious difference in the protection vs the Collinite, definitely going back to the Collinite!!
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Answer has a lot to do with how much exposure the boat get's Paul.

I guess that makes sense, thanks Chris.

Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

there was an obvious difference in the protection vs the Collinite, definitely going back to the Collinite!!

Good to know, I'll stick with Collinite.
96 Super Sport
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Blamey Blamey wrote:

[]

I think the discussion is good, no ill intent received from the questions - and I agree with what Tim said above.    The point of each step is to take out the micro scratching the last step left.   Compounding works just like in sanding in that , 800 will eventually take out 36 grit scratches, but there is a lot more work in getting there than using the grits inbetween.   Finesse it is very very fine, and does a great job of the final polish/swirl removal step, but would take several passes to get rid of the scratching left by the compounding step.    Again, my experience is on paint, not gel, so I suspect that the paint being softer would yield a result faster than the gel when skipping steps...   less work to add a step of medium polish instead of adding 2 - 3 passes with the fine polish.    
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 4:55pm
I'll 2nd the opinion that Super Duty to Finesse-it 2 is too big of a step. On black Gel I could clearly see swirl/scratch marks even after 2-3 passes of Finesse.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

I'll 2nd the opinion that Super Duty to Finesse-it 2 is too big of a step. On black Gel I could clearly see swirl/scratch marks even after 2-3 passes of Finesse.

Interesting. I didn't notice any swirl/scratch marks on my white hull (besides the bigger scratches the compound didn't get). I'll follow up on this in the spring once I have tested and seen the difference when using the Perfect It. compound then Glaze.

I am new to all this but have a small obsession with polishing my boat and trying to figure out what works best.
96 Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 11:06pm
Compound and polish are just abrasive particles suspended in liquid. You wouldn't go from a heavy compound to a fine polish in one step just like you don't go from 320 grit to 1000 sand paper.

I've got some 3 micron diamond paste here if anyone wants to get real shiny.
bpurnell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpurnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 11:48pm
Thanks guys. I plan to buy some perfect-it Compound.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2016 at 6:30am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I've got some 3 micron diamond paste here if anyone wants to get real shiny.

Save that for your prop lapping!! You will need it this spring.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2016 at 9:57pm
Hi I was looking at the compounds to us and came up with these but could not find the pads with the same description.

3M™ Super Duty Rubbing Compound, 1 Quart

Weight: 3.0000 lbs
     $25.50      

3M™ Finesse-It™ II Machine Polish, 1 Quart

Weight: 3.0000 lbs
     $55.75

3M™ Perfect-It™ II Rubbing Compound, 1 Gallon

Weight: 11.0000 lbs
     $68.50      

These are the right items? If someone knows the pad numbers add it to the list. I copied these prices from DADS web site. Followed the link on the FAQ.

FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2016 at 11:06pm
You don't need a gallon of the Perfect It rubbing compound.
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2016 at 11:05pm
Hi I didn't think I would need a gallon, it was the only size they had listed on the site. I'm thinking a quart would take care of it.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2016 at 11:16pm
Try this:

O'reily Auto
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2016 at 11:30pm
You could also try here,they have the pads and everything http://www.tptools.com/3M-Rubbing-Compound,5493.html?b=s*3M+-+Perfect-It™+Rubbing+Compound
and another vote for Collinite wax too
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
bpurnell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpurnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2016 at 11:39pm
I think this is a different product than what was suggested earlier. I think the product number suggested was 06085.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic