Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine won't start

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Wakerider81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wakerider81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine won't start
    Posted: June-05-2016 at 5:47pm
I have an 87 ski nautique that I purchased last fall and I'm having problems getting it to start. A little background info on boat, it has sat for the last 14 years in climate controlled storage and not been run. Here's a list of what I've done so far to boat,
Drained bad gas
New fuel filter
New fuel pump, old one was clogged
New holley 4160 marine carb, old one leaked gas out of a few gaskets after pump replacement
New plugs and wires
New cap and rotor
Distributor already had ei conversion done by po
New starter, battery and battery cables.
The motor wants to fire but won't. I've double and tripped checked that #1 plug at TDC on compression stroke, after I pulled distributor and primed oil pump.
All electrical connections and wires are good from dash to motor. Compression was a little low ~90 on all cylinders, figured OK there since boat has not ran into long time. I have good spark at all cylinders and I'm getting fuel through the carb into the intake and down to plugs. Last time I checked all you needed for an engine to run was fuel, spark, and air(compression). I'm starting to become frustrated with this and any help would be greatly appreciated
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 7:51pm
Sounds as though you have all the key ingredients to run. Check TDC , then roll it around another 10 degrees or so. And make sure that the rotor is pointing towards # one stud on distributor. Crank it over. May even need to prime the carb some. If it cranks hard then back it up slightly. Should fire.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 8:33pm
I would guess weak spark. Maybe get an inline tester to verify .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wakerider81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 9:03pm
I have verified spark is good with an inline tester. TDC is set roughly 10 degrees. Every time I try to start it the first couple starts are the best, as in it almost fires, pushes water out through exhaust as it should, but then starts get weaker until I charge battery back up. I'm so dumbfounded as to what issue could be. I've had many people who understand motors a lot more than I do and even have similar motors in their boats and cars(knowing rotation is reversed) and no one seems to be able to come up with an answer, everyone says there is no reason it shouldn't start
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 9:18pm
Battery the right size with enough cranking amps? (group 65)
Choke closing and set properly?
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 9:51pm
Is it equipped with ballast resistor? Only getting spark while cranking?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 10:44pm
Here is what I'd check-
being an 87 it should be a right hand rotation engine. When you try to start it are the pulley's turning counter clockwise when viewed looking at the front of the engine? If not,new starter could be wrong.If that checks out I'd check the firing order for a reverse rotation 351
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 10:51pm
Gary,
I've got a funny feeling you hit on the problem!!
Chris,
Why did you install a new starter? Hopefully you did use a marine version!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wakerider81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 11:06pm
New starter was installed because old one was locked up, it is correct starter, it was ordered from nautique parts. Pulleys are rotating counterclockwise as they should and firing order as wired on cap and labeled on nameplate of motor 18456273. It is a brand new battery with 850cca and the ballast resistor is dropping the voltage as it should. I can't remember the exact ohms of resistor and what voltage is coming off of it as its been a while since I checked those. The choke on the carb is operating as it should but I have not adjusted anything on carb yet, it does shoot fuel in while cranking if throttle is pumped as it should, I know some slight adjustments will be needed on carb once I can get it running.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 2:04am
Your sure the rotor is pointing at the #1 post when it's at TDC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wakerider81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 9:47am
The wires on the cap are wired counterclockwise. When I set TDC the rotor is pointing at roughly 1 o'clock which from what I've researched is where number 1 is located
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Wakerider81 Wakerider81 wrote:

The wires on the cap are wired counterclockwise. When I set TDC the rotor is pointing at roughly 1 o'clock which from what I've researched is where number 1 is located

CCW is correct. Now see where the #1 wire goes. Trace it back from the spark plug. Then trace ALL the wires back to the cap and verify they are correct.
It really makes no difference about the 1 o'clock position as long as the firing order sequence is followed and #1 socket on cap is in position with the rotor.at TDC #1
Verify YOUR firing order
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 10:14am

I feel you have misunderstood the concept. The distributor orientation can be anywhere within 360 degrees consequently the plug wires can start anywhere within 360 degrees. There is no orientation to a clock. Get the #1 to TDC compression again, look at where the rotor is pointing and start with the #1 plug wire there. Where have you been researching?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wakerider81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 10:15am
I have verified firing order and have had 2 other people verify that firing order is correct. Everyone seems to be stumped and says it should start up
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 10:18am

I have verified firing order and have had 2 other people verify that firing order is correct. Everyone seems to be stumped and says it should start up

Are they going by the 1 O'clock position as well?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wakerider81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 10:28am
I was just using 1 o'clock as a reference, each time I have set TDC the rotor has ended up pointing at 1 o'clock roughly. I have gotten a lot of my info from this website doing numerous searches, that's what is frustrating I've followed advise and info from here and I'm still not getting it to fire. I really want to figure this out on my own and do the work myself instead of taking it to a shop and having them fix it
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 10:31am
How are you referenceing numbering the cylinders?    
If you perhaps have chevy on the brain, all they share is #1
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wakerider81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 10:43am
Front of motor
5.   1
6.   2
7.   3
8. 4
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 12:45pm
What Duane, Pete and I are referencing is that once you get #1 to TDC then where ever the rotor is pointing.     (1-o'clock or 4-o'clock)   doesn't really matter as long as that is where the # 1 plug wire is placed and your firing order goes from there around the cap counter clockwise.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 12:53pm
Check that, I was mistaken, no jugs share common numbers between the two brands
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 1:04pm
Do double check that the #1 TDC is at the compression and not the exhaust stroke.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wakerider81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 1:09pm
Grand,
When using finger in number cylinder I have it set after I feel the sucking action in cylinder then I feel air pushing out and I have it set there, is that correct?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 1:28pm
Yes
Also to make sure your on the compression stroke the timing mark should be at zero
Then to get it even closer to TDC turning the motor over by hand you can use a Phillips head or wood dowel in the plug hole to find exact TDC. (Usually helps to have an extra person for this)
NOW MAKE SURE WHERE EVER THE ROTOR IS POINTING THATS WHERE YOU PUT THE #1 PLUG WIRE. and continue your firing order CC from there.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 1:39pm
No need for a piston stop unless you think your timing chain has skipped... The 0deg mark on the balancer is enough. Just make sure you confirm compression stroke. It's easy to misjudge if you're not rotating the engine over by hand.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

. Just make sure you confirm compression stroke. It's easy to misjudge if you're not rotating the engine over by hand.

That is what I was trying to emphasize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wakerider81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 2:00pm
I will check it all again today after work, I have been turning motor by hand while doing it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wakerider81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 2:02pm
One other question, with compression being low what kind of oil could I spray in spark plug holes to help seal up the cylinders? Could them not being fully sealed since it sat for 14yrs have much to do with it not starting?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 2:12pm
It's hard to do a long distance diagnosis, but, it sure sounds like you have the distributor 180 degrees off. Compression and exhaust stroke have similar characteristics when checking for TDC compression. Only certain way is to remove the valve cover and make sure both rocker arms are up at TDC. Was trying to keep you from doing that. If all else fails you may have to.
Some EI get full 12 volts and some get 8 or so off of the resister. Don't know what type you have and can only assume it ran in this configuration before. Good luck and hang in there. We've all been there. Duane
        1978 Mustang (modified)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

. Just make sure you confirm compression stroke. It's easy to misjudge if you're not rotating the engine over by hand.

That is what I was trying to emphasize

Understand... But I suggest KISS. A breaker bar, a 15/16" socket and a helper to hold their thumb over plug hole #1 is really what he needs. A piston stop won't tell him which stroke he's on any better than the balancer will. The last person I know that tried to get fancy and confirm TDC position ended up dropping something in the cylinder and had to pull the head off to get it out. I will not name names. KISS. :)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 2:41pm
I was going to suggest 180 off too but 1 o,clock is usually where #1 goes on the cap. A previous owner would have had to fudge the distributor.

Is it catching at all?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic