NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1973 Correct Craft Ski Nautique Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Frankly I don't trust any state generated paperwork. Tell me what's on the boat.

It could very well be CT 02244 but doubt it. I'm not familiar with the 70s or 60s boats. 2 digit manufacturer doesn't seem enough nor do I suspect they planned on building 98,000 more boats soon.

Yes, I find gov paperwork to be incorrect all the time, I have built/rebuilt a bunch of Jeeps, and a lot with salvage titles and there is something wrong on the title or registration all the time...frustrating.

The only document I have to go on is from the Sheriff's Inspection report when the 2nd owner changed the registration from IL to IN and it clearly states:

1973 Correct Craft Ski Nautique 18' CTC022440673-3NMU

Since I cannot read the original plate that is all I have to go from...I will have the registration corrected next week when I register the boat.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 5:09pm
The number is on the transom 73+.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by pcjeeper pcjeeper wrote:

1973 Correct Craft Ski Nautique 18' CTC022440673-3NMU

Since I cannot read the original plate that is all I have to go from...I will have the registration corrected next week when I register the boat.

I don't think you're going to find the HIN on that capacity plate since you have a HIN on the transom. Before that, the model + 4 digit serial number was on the plate.

My 80 HIN is CTC04001M80H

H stands for March, which is when the boat began construction. Not sure what the M stands for.

There is another identification for the model, in my case "19MQ". This is what I suspect is tagged on to the end of your HIN, but again not sure how correct 3NMU really is. Maybe SN18?

Then there's this CCFan with a traced HIN from his ~76 Mustang
Originally posted by tnkrtoy tnkrtoy wrote:

CTC 00321 17MS MM 76.

MM = Mustang?
76 = model year?

Doesn't align with either of our last 4 digits...

pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 6:46pm
I have scoured every inch of the transom and cannot find any tags or markings. is there somewhere else I should look?

I was able to make out the first 3 letters on the capacity plate and they are 3NM in the Model box. The 4th letter could be a U, O, or possibly 6, 8, 0...I can only see the lower section of the letter/number its looking to match the 3NMU on the inspection paper...is what I am leaning towards.
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 7:01pm
I just had an ah-ha moment when re-reading on of the topics about identifying the HID, I just assumed it was inside, just looked outside and you know what there it is plain as day....

and for the OFFICAL HID...

CTC022440673-SNMQ

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

"stars and stripes" ???

Yeah me too confused? Could this be the lost supposed mate of the California boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2015 at 9:05am
Good luck with the project. My neighbor had a red and blue stripe 73 Ski Nautique with a 351 Ford Palmer engine in it. It was a nice boat until he sold it to someone else on the lake and then it got molested.   As for the engine I have a 318 in my 71 SN and love the extra loud sound of it! As JBEAR say, "Loud pipes saves lives!"
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2015 at 1:55am
Awesome Find ! Love the oldies with good stories. I must agree with above comments. I have an odd one in the fleet and am just going to enjoy it in "Rough" Form till I can do it right.
Day2CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Day2CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2015 at 1:52am
Im no expert but does anyone else see 440 in the HIN? It seems to be in the same place as my 340 is at in my 340 powered 73 that also happens to be a red white and blue model
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2015 at 11:11am
Sorry, have made tons of headway on the project here is an update:

The letters and stripe that had been painted on the boat were flaking off and rough, I decided to repaint them back to the original design instead of all blue.

After masking and cutting the letters and stripes out it was time to start painting...

Time to start putting the interior back together....

Rear of the Boat assembled minus the Spedos yet...

Working on repairing the bow where it was damaged now...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2015 at 12:42pm
Looking good! Any reason you didn't do the original tri-stripe on the deck?

Any evidence of a 3rd speedo having been mounted to the motorbox (or associated 3rd set of hardware on the transom)?
LeftFieldEngineering View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2015 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Any evidence of a 3rd speedo having been mounted to the motorbox (or associated 3rd set of hardware on the transom)?

What was the 3rd speedo for? Judge, monitoring speed?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2015 at 2:59pm
Correct. Common on the promo boats in the early 70's.
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2015 at 3:22pm
Since the stripes had been hand painted over with blue, and I didn't sand them all the way off, I choose to just recover them in solid red for now...as much fiberglass repair that I have had to do on the bow, I am going to end up with a large spot that will have to be re-geled, so I am considering having the whole boat done, but not sure yet. I want to get the boat in that water and enjoy it this summer then pick back up on it next winter.
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2015 at 3:27pm
I have not found any evidence of a 3rd spedo, I am still looking for a solution to replace the dual spedo gauges and plate that are missing...I know TRBenj was working on finding me a pair of gauges, I have some 309 stainless steel 1/8 plate that i am contemplating make a mount out of, that is what I used to repair the area around the rear lift point that was badly damaged.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2015 at 3:42pm
I know I have the parts, it's the time that's hard to come by... If you can be patient, I can get a few together for you.

Try a search for the proper speedo bracket replacement- I can't recall if plexi is correct or if I'm confusing my plastics. I know aluminum was used in the 60's but not in '73.
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2015 at 3:56pm
I agree the Plex-glass would look more original...

I would really like to find a pair for the AirGuide Model 725 B, but they have been hard to find so far...

Does anybody know the proper model that would have been in the boat?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2015 at 4:10pm
Lexan may be a good alternative, i find it more more predictable when cutting drilling or tapping.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2015 at 4:11pm
I don't recall the model name, these are the ones cc used 70-77:

pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2015 at 4:19pm
Ok, I think that is what you had sent me before...

This is the 725...

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2015 at 4:29pm
I can do those too, but cc didn't start installing that style until 1978.
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2015 at 4:49pm
Okay, well I think i'm going to hold true to the original gauges then....

Any pointers on building the plate out of Lexan?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2015 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by pcjeeper pcjeeper wrote:

I agree the Plex-glass would look more original...

Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Lexan may be a good alternative, i find it more more predictable when cutting drilling or tapping.

Di not use "plex-glass!!!!! As Tom states, it's acrylic and will break as well as needing special care when cutting drilling and taping. They even make special drill bits for it. You do not want to drill with a bit sharpened with a positive rake. Yes on the polycarbonate but do get the UV resistant.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2015 at 8:59pm
WOW Adam, you don't waste any time! She is looking Great!
Js
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2015 at 9:24pm
Lexan cuts well with a carbide fine pitch blade. feed slow.

When drilling, put a waste piece under the piece you are working on, and clamp. Preferably on a press. This will keep the bit from grabbing when it punches through the working piece. You will get a wonderfully clean throughhole with no burrs. egad

It sands well. for chamfering the edges.

You can keep it clear, or hit it with a DA sander afterwards for a nice frosted effect.

It taps easy, I put a tap on a vs cordless drill and fire away.

For that application consider 3/16 or 1/4" thick
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2015 at 9:45pm
Yes, I would agree with 1/4" lexan.   We have a local glass/mirror/window shop who works with a lot of lexan. I can usually buy large scraps for only a few $$.
If need be, I might be able to send you a template tracing.
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2015 at 10:47am
If you could send me that template that would be great!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2015 at 11:15am
Its always fun to play with the various types of plexi. As Gottaski mentions If you you hack up the edge on a cut you can always get out a da sander with some 150 grit and either radius or flatten the edge to your preference. It will then be frosted but if you want it polished running a flame across it with a steady hand will melt out all the small scratches and leave a smooth finish.

Acrylic isn't all bad if its all you have access two, but it might take a couple shots and require some more tape applied during cutting. I used to cut long edges of 3/8" in a 12 ft sheetmetal shear... worked 90% of the time with only the cut off piece shattering into a million pieces, the other 10% of the time I had to find a co-op to do the clean up.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2015 at 11:24am
So have you started it up yet? Does it turn freely?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2015 at 11:59am
IT RUNS....

Rebuilding the Carb this week...along with a full tune up, electronic ignition, etc

I will post a video once its is all back together
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic