Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tired Interceptor - Block Cracks Everywhere!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 10:19am
Glassdog, no problems. We do debate on occasion. I'm surprised those engines aren't easier to find as Ford made so many of them. I really like ours, but if you told me 20 years ago that I would someday own a Correct Craft with an old Falcon 6, I'd have told you that you were crazy.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 11:44pm
btw, I also thought the main purpose of the 1/4" line was to keep it from air locking.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Christopher,
Steve (wood) had some cooling issues with his 6 and if I remember correctly it came down to a wrong T stat. I'm sure he'll be by and correct me if I'm wrong.

Pete,
now your asking me to go back a "while". I think it was around 6 years ago I was replacing the head, so Green Lake was probably 7 years ago.

I did replace the t.stat with a 160 automotive one at GL that year. From what I remember, I had already replaced the water pump impeller, so the stat was next in line to try. That was not the problem either.

I ended up replacing the entire pump with another one from a donor motor I had around. I think the cover plate on the original pump had minor grooves in it, and I'm guessing it wouldnt prime. I do remember if we could get it out and on plane, it would work.

I since then replaced the stat with a marine 140.

mannnn, I need to get that old girl out of storage this summer. She hasnt been wet since I got the 73.   
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Glassdog Glassdog wrote:

Please forgive guys, the "fun debate" comment wasn't meant to disrespect anyone's experiences, insights or professional perspective. I probably should have iterated that the discussion has been very very interesting. .

Chris,
I sure didn't take your "fun debate" comment the wrong way and I can say I doubt anyone else took it the wrong way ether so don't worry about it. I'm the one who always seems to get in trouble with what I say!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 7:44pm
Please forgive guys, the "fun debate" comment wasn't meant to disrespect anyone's experiences, insights or professional perspective. I probably should have iterated that the discussion has been very very interesting.

I'm very appreciative of everyone taking their time to provide insights, experiences and knowledge. I view all discussions as useful and I can definitely say that all of your input and knowledge of vintage Correct Crafts is helping me to make better decisions, shorten my restoration curve and provide me very valuable knowledge of the the purpose of design.

So, please accept any apologies if necessary your perspectives have been invaluable!!!.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 3:48pm
I've certainly been wrong before and I'm sure it won't be the last time. Yes, I'd now say that small line on the flywheel end is to eliminate air.
Bruce and or Chris,
I'd be curious as to how the inside of that T stat housing is configured. I remember sitting at the Bayside dock with Steve while he was installing a new stat but I never got a look at how the passages in housing and block were made.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 2:53pm

Sorry guys but fun debating.

No debate. Just telling you what I know from owning the same engine as you. That tube barely drips at idle. Maybe Steve 62Wood will chime in as he's had his engine all apart. Other than general maintenance and replacing all the hoses, we haven't needed to do much to ours.
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 12:12pm
Sorry guys but fun debating. I'm kind of still along the lines with the 1/4" line at rear being just a preventative measure against air, however Im not beyond thinking that it would be a necessary cooling path for an engine that has warmed up. While at idle it probably could take care of cooling.

With the oil thing regarding past experiences. I'm sure it wasn't a case of inadequate ZDDP levels as much as a sythetics propensity to liberate sludge and of course be a little to efficient for clutch discs to grab.

I will say that, although I can't give an exact timeline the API classifications have been changing and as a result of ZDDP being scaled down. It was my understanding through a conversation about a week ago with my performance engine acquintances that their not recommending synthetics in their builds They told me the reason was that the reduced levels of ZDDP being introduced in standard oils and synthetics (i'm not a chemist so don't beat me up) that there is a different type of zinc related element more environmentally friendly form I guess and I think he referred to it as ZDDT? I have no idea if that reference is correct. I just know their opinion is in the engines they produce with flat tappet cams conventional oils only.

I guess there's many ways to skin a cat, but these guys ship competition engines of all types all over the world and (unknown to me) have been building off shore engines as well. Found that pretty amazing for living in a land locked community.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Pete, there's not enough water that comes out of that tube to cool anything. I've had it off with the engine running.

How much water does come out?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 11:52am

And yep Pete I'm up with you on the oil. My father is a retired mechanical engineer and did a lot of of work with what was then Kendall Oil Company in Bradford PA and remains today a champion of PA crude which apparently has a parafin base as opposed to more asphaltic content found in oils produced from other crude. The Kendall brand is long since gone from Bradford and is now home of the American Refining Group and produces Brad Penn oil which caters heavily to the performance community as they still produce conventional oil which that contains higher than permitted by the EPA of ZDDP which flat tappet cams thrive on. I can get Vr-1 and Brad Penn locally and probably will use the Brad Penn my engine building buddies like it particularly for their break in oil.

Cool another Brad Penn fan, I have slowly been converting people around SE WI (boats and cars), I did a ton of research and continue to monitor what is going on (yes the manufactures are constantly changing and updating their blends) and Brad Penn continues to manufacture an oil that works really well in these old flat tappet engines. And its reasonably priced as well!!!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 11:47am
Pete, there's not enough water that comes out of that tube to cool anything. I've had it off with the engine running.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 11:47am
Synthetic (including M1) and zddp content are mutually exclusive. Gotta read the data sheets and/or do an oil analysis. Mobil1 15w50, for example, has as much zddp as your beloved vr1 (I use both). I have also heard good things about brad penn.

There may be other reasons to gravitate to (or avoid) synthetics, but zddp content isn't one of them. Just like conventional oils, some have plenty, others don't.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 11:41am
Chris,
Bruce's idea of the in and out for the engine cooling being the same isn't the case. He just missed the small out at the flywheel end of the block.

I including many here run the VR-1 in their engines. I run 20-50 in all of mine.

Regarding the importance of running an oil with the ZDDP in flat tappet engines, I too have seen first hand what happens running synthetics. Cams with barely any lobes left and these too were on flat head Hercules (Chris) engines. Yup, the owners thought they were doing the correct thing to put the Mobile 1 in their engines!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 11:40am
Pete, I believe that small tube is a vent so the system does not get air bound.
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 11:32am
Hey Pete just saw your latest after I posted. I kind of surmised that regarding the 1/4" cooling line and plan on retaining that. My laymans assumptions also were that since the motor is standard rotation and drives off the front of the motor it was a needed feature to also ensure air got out of the head and hot spots were reduced or eliminated.

I don't make it to your neck of the woods, however when I get this project done maybe I can get to a lake near you. Thanks again your help is very generous and much appreciated.
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 11:27am
Thanks Pete and Riley. My manifold was completely gone. I wish I could report it was just some cracks, but this thing when they finally decided they had killed it (and probably sunk) they put it in an unheated garage without draining or laying up anything for 25 years. It had tons of cracks and the boat apparently saw less fresh water than salt. It literally fell apart after days of penetrating oil, etc. to extricate the manifold bolts. What on the exterior that looked repairable initially to me was as is the case with anything in this project was skin deep.

There was virtually no core left inside to bond any repairs to. I could have made sparklers for my kids out of it.About to fist fulls of aluminum dust. I have spent several months barn diving without any luck looking for an original. I grew up on a lake that was built after hurricane Agnes and the day the lake opened it looked like a push pull or drag sale. Everyone bought anything that would float to boat with and I was hoping the throngs of discarded boats in the area would net me something, unfortunately no luck. So the cost vs benefit right now has me where I'm at.

Thanks again Pete for your expertise. My question was along the lines of how the water was getting around in the block and through the manifold and Riley summed it up better better than I did in my question. I just wanted to make sure I looked at it correctly and wasn't going to do anything to change the way the block got it's cooling needs. Looked simple to me just wanted to confirm my thoughts. The Fc-1 is pretty simple I hope my boat doesn't list from it.! Good thing it's a right hand driver my petiteness should put it on an even keel without sand bags.

And yep Pete I'm up with you on the oil. My father is a retired mechanical engineer and did a lot of of work with what was then Kendall Oil Company in Bradford PA and remains today a champion of PA crude which apparently has a parafin base as opposed to more asphaltic content found in oils produced from other crude. The Kendall brand is long since gone from Bradford and is now home of the American Refining Group and produces Brad Penn oil which caters heavily to the performance community as they still produce conventional oil which that contains higher than permitted by the EPA of ZDDP which flat tappet cams thrive on. I can get Vr-1 and Brad Penn locally and probably will use the Brad Penn my engine building buddies like it particularly for their break in oil.

We found out the hard way about synthetics in vintage engines. One of my family members decided we needed to put Mobil 1 in a flawlessly working 70 year old flat head six marine engine. Right away the drive slipped terribly in forward (too slippery) and it wiped out the bearings in the motor probably from dissolving sludge in the pan. $,4800.00 and a stellited crank, pistons that had to be fitted etc., etc. they didn't do that again.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

This is how our 170 is plumbed. I've never quite understood the water route as the inlet into the block is also the outlet.

Bruce,
Take a look at the forward end (flywheel end) of the engine. You see that small water line running to the exhaust manifold? It doesn't take much water to cool the engine. More is actually needed to cool the exhaust manifold.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 10:30am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

BTW, no synthetic oil in the engine! Dino with plenty of ZDDP. Don't forget the assembly grease

FWIW:
ie: Lucas Break In Oil
(Comp Cams recommends Valvoline VR=1 )
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 10:11am
This is how our 170 is plumbed. I've never quite understood the water route as the inlet into the block is also the outlet.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 6:07am
Christopher,
Steve (wood) had some cooling issues with his 6 and if I remember correctly it came down to a wrong T stat. I'm sure he'll be by and correct me if I'm wrong. The cooling system is typical of any marine. Basically water is diverted into the block as needed determined by the stat. If it's closed, all the water is bypassed and goes directly to the manifold. With any manifold, the key is to not create a air pocket on the high end. Some of the Barr's utilize a internal separate tube to direct water to the high end.

Just how trashed is your old manifold? Have you pressure tested it to see if there are any breaches between the exhaust and water cavities? Interceptor's aluminum manifolds (or any others) are a great weight savings however they are prone to burn through from hot exhaust gasses if they ever run dry. Some had steel half round liners down the exhaust cavity to shield the aluminum walls. If you do have some holes. they can be repaired. The outer wall is cut open to access the burn through, The hole(s) are welded shut and then the outer wall is welded back in. Crow Custom Cast is noted for their restoration of vintage/antique parts. I've seen their work and you can't tell the manifold has been repaired. You may want to look into a repair if there are breaches inside your manifold.

On your trans adjustment, you want to adjust the clutch pack so it just knuckles over into forward. There's lots of adjustment but that's there for the stack height tolerance of the complete assembly with all the clutch plates. If you haven't taken the clutch pack apart and you get slippage or no knuckle over, go one notch only. BTW, no synthetic oil in the engine! Dino with plenty of ZDDP. Don't forget the assembly grease

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2016 at 1:03am
Thanks Pete for your comments - much appreciated!

Before Pic of my Paragon Model 1xe

And the after pic!

Still awaiting the return of my block from being hot tanked. So in the meantime I got busy getting the drive back into order. Pretty horrid mess inside and I'm very pleased that after alot of cleaning, complete disassembly I have what should be a working drive with little more expense than new seals, paint stripper and a fresh coat of paint.

Fotunately, it didn't look so bad. Some wear on clutch discs however evenly worn and a fair amount of adjustment left. I thought early on that new bearings were going to be on the project list but happily after a good bath in my ultrasonic cleaner they run free and have no debris left within to cause rough spots.

Pete if your following I have a question regarding the exhaust manifolds. Mine was completely trashed when I got the boat and very little left to compare to. Could you or anyone else with the 170 Interceptor describe how the cooling circuit works? I know that sounds stupid, however the set up is a little unorthodox.

My question is this, Am I correct in assuming there is a ventury action set up by the where the cooling water enters and bypasses the thermostat housing and exits out to the riser and through the block simultaneously?

Reason being I jumped off a cliff earlier this summer. I had seen through other sources on the web and in a thread somewhere here regarding a Barr replacement. Well I got a boat shop buddy to look into it and he found online they had a replacement (FC- 1) described as a manifold for a Ford comet engine.

Well no one at Barr knew anything about it even though it was listed in their inventory. So I called them directly and talked to a stock guy and he verified they had one but couldn't confirm fitment as he said "I have been here 20 years and never sold one"

So I was on vacation and on the way back to PA from the beach I stopped at Barr in VA. and got them to physically show me it. So as it sits it's set up for starboard exhaust. I noted in pics that the end and header caps were symmetrical and bolted on and on the phone he couldn't advise if they could be swapped. So when I visited I verified they could be reversed to make it a port side exhaust. I then got my friend to get me it at his cost plus a little beer. I then got from ebay in "new" old stock a 15 degree water cooled riser and the adaptor plate to join everything.

It will look close to original, however im going to have to work on the routing of the cooling circuit and it will press my motor further to a "one" off than I had hoped for. I am planning to and can use the original arrangement of the 1/4" cooling line from the rear of the head to the manifold. Im just trying to get it right so the flow works properly through the manifold and block.

Hopefully I can get the results from it I desire and I will put it up in the forum for everyone to check out. The manifold I got was one of four remaining in existance, once they go no more. So if anyone else is experiencing the same hurdles with an exhaust manifold for one of these beasties it may be of help.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2016 at 5:29am
Christopher,
Great progress. These projects do take time. It's great you found the engine so you don't have to deal with the cracked block. A good repair will work but it's always on your mind if it will open up again. Now you have a chunk of cast iron that works great for a mooring anchor!! The early hulls seem to have less or even no problems with rot. It seems that less glass over the wood is better. The bad is the stress cracking with the early glass but the vail is the answer. It will be great when you get a chance to see some pictures so keep them coming. You get my approval with everything you've been doing!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2016 at 2:29am
Hi guys! I thought I would post a long overdue update on the progress of my 1963 American skier. So after, my engine probelms became a critical issue I turned my attention to the hull. Ill post some pics when I find what media card they are on. Anyhow, while I was searching for a solution to the engine I elected to step away from it for a while and get into the hull.

So sporadically over the summer I opened up the stringers for inspection, happily they weren't compromised. I did find a crack in the transom noted in earlier posts. I laminated a new transome from plywood and a new bow cross as well. Re-glassed everything with a mountain of 1708 and repaired a bunch of holes on the top side and stress cracks. I covered the whole topside with a vail of 3/4 oz. mat ust to make sure I had stabilized everything and used around 20 some gallons of resin.

So hopefully I'm not premature with my winter's progress. I had found a 170 cu. in. inline 6 (running, not well) that matched all castings and codes and actually came off the line 2 months after my interceptor had been manufactured. I let the engine sit for awhile and finally got the courage to tear into it.

I didn't ask the guy enough questions. Happily when I disassembled it I found that everything was identical, flat tappet solid lifter cam. It had been bored .030 over and was
literally new inside, no gunk. Only problems I noted was (1) slightly bent pushrod and #'s 5 and 6 connecting rod bearings had alot of wear and were begining to score the crank.

So, off it went down the street to a performance engine builder (Kriner's Racing Engines if any of you guys follow short track racing) and they were able to polish my crank and I escaped grinding. I think the guy did a reasonable job trying to rebuild it he just wasn't thorough enough. Oil passages were completely blinded with sludge and the mentioned journals and block. So I think he tried to get it done or whoever hot tanked it (if done) didn't clean the passages out. and when he re assembled it he didn't loosen the rocker arms during disassembly, he just wound up tight on a push rod. My guess is he knew he had a problem and got tired of it and decided to put a 289 in it he had.

After a good cleaning up, I cleaned all passages, checked the deck and cleaned up all mating surfaces and gave the cylinders a good honing. It appeared the rings had barely set. Waiting now on the block to be returned hopefully without any other problems identified. And I can get pics on to everyone and have it built back to a long block witha pretty coat of alpine green on it. I do have several hurdles yet with it which I hope 62 wood or Mr. Brainard could enlighten me on and Ill post those questions over the next day or two I've gotten too long with this post.

Any input or questions from the community would be greatly appreciated!
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2015 at 11:14pm
Thanks Pete I'll give it a look over. Sorry about the pics - I'm on duty right now and don't have access to any. I'll try and post some in the near future. Fortunately the boat is pretty sound I haven't found any major stress cracks. However did find an area where they tried to use a repair kit in the transom area. Didn't find anything upon pulling it off like a bad band aid. They apparently were using the aft lifting eye for their ski rope point instead of the pylon?? So I removed the laminate ply and ground down everything well and couldn't find a reason for the attempt to repair. I did note that they had packed around the rudder plate with what I would liken to black electrical insulating putty.

Now under that I did see some stress. I was kind of surprised there wasn't a noted build up or additional lamination of fiberglass or plywood laminated in for strength. Some of the bolts on the outside of the hull were crushing the glass. So I have enough on rudder shaft I may build that area a little and most likely will laminate in some ply under the plate to give it a little more strength.

Just trying to do a thorough job without getting to far away from original or creating any hard spots that later will mess up my efforts. We plan on making it a daily driver when we get it to water.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2015 at 8:40pm
Christopher,
Great to hear you found a block..
With the layup, if you haven't already,take a look at the FAQ thread in the maintenance section. There's some links to stringer job that reference the layup. However, it sounds like you already have a plan and it sounds good. There really isn't a set layup.

Are we going to see some pictures of the stringer work????

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2015 at 7:55pm
Hi All hope summer's treating you well. An update on my engine struggles. I had a very experienced friend take a crack at the block cracks. (sand mound etc.) an unfortunately it was beyond repair. We thought he had licked it only to find additional cracks when magnafluxed.

So, Pete I gave it a try. I began my search. When I originally broke down the engine there were no surplus comet engines (170 cu.in. ) to be had anywhere. then when least expected the sky dumped comets everywhere. So after carefully matching block stamps and casting numbers I was able to find an exact match, only 1 month off in production code. Had to drive to the end of the earth to get it so I think my 63 is going to stay pretty closely configured as possible to original.

I am now, after a summer of crazy heat and rain alternately working on grinding fiberglass inside. I believe from all appearences, amazingly the boat still has it's original stringers. However I am unsure of how heavily I am going to re-wrap them.

I unwrapped them (reluctantly) because they were wrapped in roving and not very well wetted, a lot of holes in the weave and I was concerned about delamination, which much of it had either pulled away or had just never been applied well. the stringers were tabbed in with CSM and wrapped over with the roving. Im putting the roving just guessing at maybe 16 oz. My plans are to (and have 1708 biaxial) fillet the stringers and wrap with 1708. I have a concern with weight though. Having not worked with 1708 before I was quite surprised when I had to wrestle the roll in after UPS dropped it off.

So if anyone has any information to relate on similar repairs let me know. I'm concerned I'm going to start layering in additional weight and would like to keep that under control as much as possible. (little boat). I'm getting close to laying in glass and my original plans were to place a double layer of 1708 over the main stringers(motor) and wrap the outer with probably 2 oz. CSM since they were tabbed in only with what looks like maybe 1.5 or 2 oz. CSM.

So if anyone knows I would be curious to know what you did and if you have any idea what the layup schedule was back in the day.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 4:56pm
Christopher,

I just about didnt buy my AS because of the 6 banger. I would never give up my 73 SN, but I kind of have a soft spot for the old "bacerds" Ford.    

I lucked out and only had a couple of weak spots in the secondary stringers. They really only hold the floor, so I sistered new along side the old.

I was NEVER planning on "going all the way" with this old girl... but can honestly say I have never been sorry I did.   

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 4:01pm
Thanks Gary, I'll commit that to my notes. Wow Steve after seeing that I don't feel so bad. You did a great job on your boat looking at the pics. Spent the morning stripping glass off stringers and I'm pretty encouraged and after looking at your boat what I thought had been stringer work may actually be the originals with some home improvement work.

They seem to be bedded really well and I see my project curve shortening in where I least expected it. Lots to do it may hit water late this summer after all.

Thanks guys for all your assistance!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 2:34pm
Yep,,, sounds familiar. I bought mine "just to use" for the summer... PO had put a "new" floor in. looked like he used ten pcs of scraps. And so began my journey.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 12:36pm
On second thought,if you are redoing the entire deck then pick a gel as close as you can,it's only a match problem if you are repairing what you currently have.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic