NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Martinique87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martinique87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering
    Posted: May-05-2006 at 8:07am
I found what I hope is a good deal on an 89 SN, now I've got two correct crafts. Gotta get one finished and up for sale. The 89SN is in good shape but does have a few issues. One is the steering.

When I turn left its as if there is power steering and the boat comes about immediately (way faster than my 87 Martinique). However, when turning right its like turning an old car without power steering.

I'm going to check the alignment today by confirming that when the wheel is centered the rudder is too. I will also count the number of turns possible for the wheel in both directions.

Other than alignment what might cause such a tremendous difference between turning left and right?

Tim
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martinique87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2006 at 10:33am
Update.

Steering alignmrnt looks good...when the rudder is midpoint the wheel is centered. It takes approx. 2 and 3/4 turn in each direction to reach the stop point.

In case it matters...I have a standard rotation 351 with the 1.23:1 PCM transmission, so the prop still turns right even with the standard engine.

Tim
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2006 at 2:06am
I'm not so sure that your 89 SN has anything wrong with it. This may just be an inherent thing by the way the boat was designed. I have an 88 Ski Centurion that does the same thing. Before that boat I had a 59 Chris Craft Capri (inboard) that did it too. The Ski Centurion turns a RH prop and the Chris Craft turns a LH prop.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2006 at 10:03am
I'm not an expert here but my boat turns better left than right. You are fighting the torque of the prop and any inboard I've ever driven always turns better one direction or the other. How does the wheel turn when your not moving, is there any out of the ordinary resistance?
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2006 at 4:30pm
I had the same problem on my '68/ Then I had the rudder straightened at a prop shop and the problem went away. (I thought it was normal.) I took it to the prop shop becuase it had a hair line crack that was there when I bought the boat, I wanted to get it welded up. The prop shop (Mike Hood) advised me it was bent. I could not tell by looking at it.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2006 at 5:30pm
Thanks Jim, I guess I need to get my rudder checked too. I've had to get my prop reworked twice and even had to replace the drive shaft for hitting things in the water. It's likely that the rudder got bent too. Never had it checked.

Former boats:
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martinique87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2006 at 7:38pm
Thanks guys,

I'm going to check howit turns in the water when not moving as see ifits different. In my driveway they are the same...which makes me feel better.

I will have the rudder alignment checed also. The PO had a new rudder pin wlelded in so makes sense to check it. If thats fine I'll chalkit up to torque.

Thanks again. Tim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2006 at 8:26pm
If the rudder is bent and you have it straightened and that fixes the problem let us know.

Former boats:
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martinique87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2006 at 9:54pm
We'll do. it will be a few weeks before I'm home long enough to have it checked/repaired. But I will let you know.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic