Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

shaft seal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
'72 mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '72 mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shaft seal
    Posted: April-27-2006 at 11:46am
My boat has a steady stream of water coming in through the stuffing box. After about an hour in the water my bilge has about 3-4 inches of water in it. How long does it take to replace the seal and should I use the graphite "virtually dripless" or the standard wax rope?
72 CC mustang
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2006 at 12:24pm
have you tried adjusting it? You have to tighten it up once in a while.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '72 mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2006 at 12:59pm
I haven't tried tightening it yet. Is it best to put it in the water to do this?
72 CC mustang
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2006 at 1:11pm
you don't have to, but your going to want to to check and see if it is fixed. You want to see 1-2 drops per minute.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '72 mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2006 at 1:16pm
Thanks for the advise, by the way, nice boat. A friend of mine has a '79, fun boat to drive.
72 CC mustang
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2006 at 11:36pm
Mine did the same once until making an adustment....take two BIG wrenches and loosen the top nut out a bit (the one up the shaft nearest the engine) ...turn the other so it moves down the shaft a little ways...turn the top nut back down the shaft with your hand making it snug...tighten a tad more...tighten the bottom nut back up(using both wrenches)...when out on the water see how many drips per minute as mentioned by 79(1 or 2). you do want a small amount of water or it gets hot. You may need to replace the packing rope if that does not do it.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic