NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pics of your tow vehicle?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 29>
Author
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2014 at 5:52pm
Another 30mph and he may have made it.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

beretta5spd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2014 at 5:59pm
Jeff your 92 looks minty in that pic!

Wowsers that Nissan launched!
1996,1997 Sport Nautique 1986,1992 Ski Nautique - Sold
1995 Sport Nautique - Current
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2014 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Wow, that Nissan had to look like an compressed accordion after it hit the opposite bridge embankment.

He fell asleep at the wheel. From the post on reddit:

Quote Doctors Tuesday evening said that Moerland suffered a fractured leg and lower back and dislocated ankle. He also suffered a partially collapsed lung.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2014 at 6:47pm

Awesome

I recognize the later mustang/turbocoupe TRX rims.

Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

My '69 Rambler with studded snow tires and 300#'s of junk in the trunk was one bad mother in the snow.....No good for towing but when I upgraded to the Pinto Station Wagon it would tow the old Glastron Carlson quite poorly lol

Pinto? Carlson? That's everything I wanted back in the 70s-80s. It would take me some time to remember how many Pintos I owned back then. This was my favorite, there wasn't much short of exotics that could beat it back in the day. It was set up more for autocross ( parking lot slalom back then ) than drag racing. I really had fun with this car but it was another one my wife didn't care for. It towed pretty well too. I really wanted a Carlson but never got one. With the Mustang I have finally moved on from that.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2014 at 3:08am
The end may be near for my ultimate tow vehicle, the Saturn Ion. I took my wife's "new" ( used rental car ) 2013 Ford Escape 2.0 4WD on my first road trip without a trailer today from Chicago to De Pere WI and back, 406 miles. This is the result of the drive there.

I had a bit of a tail wind and tried to get good mileage, setting the cruise at about 65-70 most of the time going up.
On the way home I ran into a very violent thunderstorm for about 100 miles of the trip. I also couldn't keep my foot out of the gas ( it is a fun car to play with ) so I ended up with 30.7 round trip. Not bad for a 4WD SUV that is rated for towing 3,500#. I may have to get her a new one and take hers. Whats the point of driving my lemon squeezer to get good mileage when hers gets within a couple MPG.

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2014 at 12:48pm
We just got a 2013 with the 2.0 about a month ago. I wouldn't count on getting 30mpg without a tailwind, but we have been happy with the milage especially considering the pep of the 2.0. The car has a fairly short wheelbase and doesn't weigh a whole lot so I'd be hesitant to tow anything bigger than a 17' boat, but I think power-wise it will handle it perfectly fine.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2014 at 1:27pm
Mine towed my friends 24' pontoon effortlessly. Much better than my Ion would. I am averaging right around 30.5 on the highway with the air on and the cruise set between 65-70. I use premium to get that little extra out of the boost. Probably only helps in high boost conditions though.
Around town it's another story. It's so peppy I like to use it. I have gotten as low as 18 but my wife averages about 23 in town. I checked a few Escape forums and found that many people say it is capable of doing better than the published figured, but few get it around town because they like to use their right foot. Some even suggested they come out with a flash that would reduce the responsiveness.
Ford Racing is taking orders for a flash that that gives the Focus ST ( same engine and platform) a solid 360 pound feet of torque at 2,500 rpm and an estimated 320HP (91-93 octane required) and doesn't void the warranty. I hope they come out with a similar one for the Escape 2.0. Livernois, an aftermarket performance company, has an Escape flash for 300HP and 350 foot pound of torque, but it may or may not affect the warranty.

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2014 at 1:55pm
I've had an escape for 6 months, and 11K miles. The most I've ever seen
is 28.5 mpg. Average over the 11K miles has been 21.7 mpg. It's the bigger engine, 2.4 I think, and about 1/3 of the miles have been uphill driving to Tahoe. Still fine for us as the other two cars are the Yukon XL and the 4 door, 4wd Silverado.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2014 at 2:03pm

The end may be near for my ultimate tow vehicle, the Saturn Ion. I took my wife's "new" ( used rental car ) 2013 Ford Escape 2.0 4WD on my first road trip without a trailer today from Chicago to De Pere WI and back, 406 miles. This is the result of the drive there.

I had a bit of a tail wind and tried to get good mileage, setting the cruise at about 65-70 most of the time going up.
On the way home I ran into a very violent thunderstorm for about 100 miles of the trip. I also couldn't keep my foot out of the gas ( it is a fun car to play with ) so I ended up with 30.7 round trip. Not bad for a 4WD SUV that is rated for towing 3,500#. I may have to get her a new one and take hers. Whats the point of driving my lemon squeezer to get good mileage when hers gets within a couple MPG.

Thats cool! Would love to see that on my dash!

I just bought a GMC Sierra 2500HD over the weekend. Powered by 8.1 Vortec, with the Allison 5 speed automatic behind it... something tells me I'm going to be happy with about 1/3 of those numbers...

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2014 at 2:26pm
We had the 2.5 in the Escape we traded for this one. This one is just like that 2.5 only with 100HP and 100'# more. We never got exceptional mileage with that 2.5, also a 4WD. About 22-24 on the highway. The new shape probably helps.
Those new phat trucks ( Suburban, Tahoe, Expedition Escalade, ECT ) are so much better now too. More power, better mileage IF you can keep your foot out of it.
You must do some really heavy work to spec a Sierra like that. It sounds like it's suited for pulling an auto transport or delivering RVs.
I got a ride in a new super heavy duty GM p/u a while back. I don't know the specifics but it had a big diesel and an Allison trans ( I only know this because it had a badge on the side) it rode pretty nice MT. Better than the old P/Us I used to drive. Stiff but tight.

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2014 at 3:36pm
John, this is still an "old beater" truck, It is going to replace my existing work/plow, truck.

It's a 2001, one owner, 4x4 Standard cab/8 foot box, with 89,xxx miles and most of the "toys" ... (Power bucket seats and mirrors in my work truck!??!! ..and whats that "fuzzy stuff" on the floor? ) . I cant justify 50+G's for a new truck. Finding a nice 3/4 or 1 ton, standard cab / 8 foot box is next to impossible.... not a lot of selection in used ones.   

I do plan to work it, has max trailer wt. towing capacity around 14,000 lbs. Not good on mpg, I'm hearing 8 to 10 all around. But my current 97,3500 4x4 averages maybe a mile or so better, so hoping not to see much dif in fuel costs.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2014 at 5:01pm
Actually, I guess I have a 2 liter turbo. We're not seeing 35mpg, that's for sure.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2014 at 5:08pm
Steve, I know you're a guy who needs and uses a truck. I remember the snow photos.
This is an average of what we have gotten in the approximately 5,000 miles since we got it.

It includes about 1,000 miles pulling a 1,000# utility trailer, launching two pontoon boats, one wave runner, and one runabout for a total of about 300 miles. the rest is a combo of city and highway.
It would not do your work around the farm and it is not intended to go off road. It has ground effects on the bottom and even the rear diff is faired with a pretty tough plastic piece. A lot of people are going to tear that stuff off trying to take them off road. The old Escape wasn't too bad in deep sand, rocks, and mud. Big difference with this one.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2014 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Actually, I guess I have a 2 liter turbo. We're not seeing 35mpg, that's for sure.

BKH

I tried pretty hard to see what I could get out of it. It will probably be the mileage record because I don't normally drive like that. It takes very light traffic, few stops, and a concentrated effort. I always use 91 or 93 premium. I'm not really sure if that affects the mileage. It makes a significant difference in the go, especially on a very hot day when the intercooler is not as effective.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2014 at 5:30pm

Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

BKH

I tried pretty hard to see what I could get out of it. It will probably be the mileage record because I don't normally drive like that. It takes very light traffic, few stops, and a concentrated effort. .

I get it.

Not sure what state you are in. Do you have a bunch of emissions control (smog) requirements? We seem to have as much of that as anyone here in California, plus a bunch of "stuff" added to our gas. I don't think that helps either.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2014 at 5:38pm
It is Cali compliant and we use almost exclusively E10 here. I ran two tanks of non alcohol 91 through it up in northern WI where it is available. I didn't notice any difference, but was towing the boats and stuff then. I'm just happy I don't have to put race gas in it like my other turbo car (24# boost). At $8 a gallon that adds up. I considered changing it over to E85 but then I can't go on any road trips in it because it's just not available everywhere. With the E85 cal you can't put gas in it.

ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2014 at 11:10pm
Well it isn't a Nautique but at least I was able to get on the water.
Here's my 2014 F150 STX in black (the only color). Still need a tri-fold cover but I love it (besides the annoying USB selection issue).

- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
ncdoubleup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncdoubleup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2014 at 1:42am
This was my favorite tow vehicle. The ball kept pulling off the bumper when I'd do holeshots coming out of the boat ramp. The 4 mpg wasn't bad :)
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2014 at 2:18am
Do you still have the Kammback? Those were some great looking cars. The GT hatchback looked like a little Z28. My wife had a notchback and a friend had a hatchback GT. I spent a lot of time in them. Their styling and performance were at opposite ends of the spectrum. You seem to have solved the performance issue.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2014 at 4:53pm
All these smaller SUVs with attractive fuel economy numbers look pretty good. I just don't think I could kick the stigma of not having a truck.
ncdoubleup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncdoubleup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2014 at 10:00pm
No, we don't have the Kammback anymore. We found out another grandson was on the way and having the boat was more practical. So we got rid of it. Loved it while we had it!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2014 at 10:14pm
Good for you. Family first and you should make some good memories with the boat.

74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2014 at 10:55pm

Do you still have the Kammback? Those were some great looking cars. The GT hatchback looked like a little Z28. My wife had a notchback and a friend had a hatchback GT. I spent a lot of time in them. Their styling and performance were at opposite ends of the spectrum. You seem to have solved the performance issue.

Loved Vegas. I recently read an article that said the Cosworth Vega was priced well above the Z28 and only $1000 less than the Vette.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
79skinautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 7:27pm

Finally had both boats out at the same time this weekend. Made for a good picture.
Aaron

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 7:46pm
That is a very difficult decision I would like to have to make!

IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 7:49pm
how long before the greenskeepers chased you off the fairway?
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 7:51pm

The Day I picked her up.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 7:58pm
isn't it funny how many of our tow rigs match our boats on this site? Just the guys we had out this weekend, my dad, red S10, red and white SN. Morfoot, red Durango (and pickup apparently), red and white 88. Mike Hunter ordered the same graphics for his van that are on the side of his boat. And my black truck matches the black on my hull. What came first, the chicken or the boat?
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

isn't it funny how many of our tow rigs match our boats on this site?   Morfoot, red Durango (and pickup apparently), red and white 88. What came first, the chicken or the boat?

If you go back to the first page in this thread you'll see 'Melly' pulling 'Miss Scarlett'. It's an 86 C-10 that gets a whopping 10 mpg when pulling. Got much better fuel econ using my dads 2002 silverado hauling the bike and pulling the boat.

Aaron....VERY nice!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
69barri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69barri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 1:22pm
Here is my 2013 Volkswagen Touareg that I use to tow. I drove up to Chicago about a month ago and it got 30 mpg up and 18 back towing the Riviera. It has the 3.0 liter diesel and runs like a champ. I replaced a 2008 GMC Yukon with this and I have never looked back. The back is riding a little low in the picture with the Debonnaire, I have since moved the axles forward about 6 inches on the trailer which has helped a lot. The Riviera I picked up was almost the exact same color as my Touareg too! The best thing overall is these two pictures were taken about 24 hours apart from each other. The first one is at a rest area in northern Indiana, the second is at a workshop in Seneca, SC.

1963 Debonnaire Deluxe
1972 Separator Jet Boat
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 29>
  Share Topic