Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Restore 1980 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
teamdugan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teamdugan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Restore 1980 Ski Nautique
    Posted: March-13-2006 at 9:38am
we are restoring a 1980 ski nautique - great boat with a 351 Commander.

Boat has a shelf along the driver's side gunwale that is glassed into the side of the boat. We plant to remove it as it is in the way, not useful, and ugly. As it is only on one side, I presume it is not structural. Plan to cut it off flush with the gunwale and carpet over it. Does anyone have experience with this.
2000 & 1980 knockers
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2006 at 10:07am
Are you referring to the "built in" ski rack that
ran along the right side???? BKH
Livin' the Dream

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2006 at 11:00am
If you're refering to the ski rack. it's not structural, just cut it off if you don't want it. Only on one side. huh?
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
trikeaholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikeaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2006 at 11:13am
mine is only on the driver side as well. I have seen photos with them on both sides, but mine has only one and it WAS on its original carpet so I doubt it had been removed by the PO.
1980 Ski Nautique
Ithaca NY
My Boat
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2006 at 11:52am
My 1980 had it on the driver's side only. I heard they made it on both sides at one point. It was good to hold my barefoot boom, but that's about it. Oh, and my fire extinguisher too. That was a great boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2006 at 12:54pm
I guess I learned something today, mine has them on both sides.

teamdugan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teamdugan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2006 at 4:50pm
thanks, I'll get cutting. Now about the gunk that is applied to the surface of the wood stringers. Wood is solid, but some coating is peeling off. I would think I should remove loose coating and recoat with ___??? Any experiences???
2000 & 1980 knockers
teamdugan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teamdugan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2006 at 5:02pm
Another question; The previous owner cut a slit 4" up the front of the motor box to bolt his barefoot boom to the pylon. I need to repair motorbox fiberglass, which I can do. Do you know where I can get the bottom trim - aluminium channel?
2000 & 1980 knockers
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2006 at 5:59pm
Call Bruce at Midwest Correct Craft, they will have everything you need. I just recovered my motorcover and replaced the aluminum trim.

MWCC
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2006 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I guess I learned something today, mine has them on both sides.

On the 81s that was part of the "anniversary edition" package.

Don't get rid of it, it's worth $$$!!!

The other 81s didn't have the shelves on either side.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2006 at 6:04pm
Surround

Don't worry, my shelves are staying. There's so little room in these old boats I make pretty good use of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic