Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where to start with this engine rebuild?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to start with this engine rebuild?
    Posted: June-03-2017 at 11:16pm
Also, if you want to get the valve cover off without removing the exhaust manifold to get access to the lower center bolt you can do this
Originally posted by Shep72 Shep72 wrote:

On my 94' I removed my Valve covers with a 1/4" drive ratchet long extension and universal joint over the socket.. This may help if you tear back into the Valve covers.

Otherwise you could be wrestling with eight rusty allen head bolts on the manifold.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by jieiku jieiku wrote:

Thanks guys, mostly posted here because Dreaming had low compression in the rear cylinders on a boat that sat and had standing water in it, seemed so similar to mine.

I appreciate the responses. and yeah the boat has a heater core and heater vents, so I picked up new fuel lines for the fuel tank, and heater core hose for the heater. Will try firing it up and running it soon!

Also thank you for the comment on the valve cover and #2 rockers/pushrod. I will definitely do that before trying to start it! appreciate it.

Stick around here (CCF) too and keep the info and questions coming. It's an inboard, who cares what brand it is
jieiku View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jieiku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 10:49pm
Thanks guys, mostly posted here because Dreaming had low compression in the rear cylinders on a boat that sat and had standing water in it, seemed so similar to mine.

I appreciate the responses. and yeah the boat has a heater core and heater vents, so I picked up new fuel lines for the fuel tank, and heater core hose for the heater. Will try firing it up and running it soon!

Also thank you for the comment on the valve cover and #2 rockers/pushrod. I will definitely do that before trying to start it! appreciate it.
1986 Mastercraft Skier P-S 351w
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 9:01pm
Ditto... These guys are a great help, and have been throughout my project.   Mine had bad water damage, the core/casting/freeze {;)] plugs were out of mine when I bought it, and were laying in the bottom of the boat.    the manifolds on both sides were also cracked and needed attention.    the intake had been full of water, as the throttle body plates were rusted shut, it was bad news.    I coudl not rotate the engine when I bought the boat, I had to fill it with marvel mystery oil and let it sit for a few days before it broke loose.    the reason for my engine overhaul was that the compression was good on 6 of the cyls, but the other 2 were so much lower that the boat had a bad stumble and would barely run when under load.   idle in the driveway on the hose was just fine :) best of luck with your project, I am still working out the bugs, but each step makes me feel like I accomplished something!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 8:56pm
One thing you mention in your linked thread is the gas tank and heater core hose all in the same sentence. Here's a cut and paste of what I'm referring to

"Edit2: got the fuel tank out, its filthy! gonna clean it up and clean it out. Going to pick up some new fuel lines and heater core hose tomorrow. The heater core hose on it now feels like overcooked spaghetti its way to flexible and squishy."

Are you thinking the vent line on the tank is made of heater hose. It would fit but it's not rated for fuel and definitely isn't USCG approved. You can buy USCG approved fuel line for that. It's pricier but worth it.

Maybe you're just referring to some of those other hoses running around the engine and you have a heater in the boat

Also maybe you should start a brand new thread that's just about your boat/engine instead of adding onto Dreaming's thread. Less confusing that way.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 6:46pm
I agree with Mr McD on start it and run it.

After reading your M/C thread and your post here, I'm not sure why you think you have any kind of internal water issue in the engine. It sounds like you're assuming you have/had water in #4 and 8 because there's low compression, but nothing I read makes me think there's water there. A few years of sitting with water in those 2 cylinders and the engine probably wouldn't turn over at all.

I think before trying to start it though, I'd take the valve covers off and look at #2 exhaust valve rocker arm and pushrod and compare it to the others. With compression that much above the others you may have a bent pushrod, loose rocker arm, or a collapsed lifter.(we won't mention anything worse like bad cam lobes) I think it's worth a look beforehand.

How's your transmission fluid look? Depending on how high the water got, it may have water in it.

And one other thing..............remember it's a Mastercraft with a NORMAL rotation engine and a firing order of 1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8 if you start getting advice from people used to Reverse rotation engines
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 3:22pm
Change the oil fire it up and let it run awhile. If it runs OK put it on the water and work it a little. See if the rings seal up. If they don't it's time for an overhaul. If they do seal p change your oil and celebrate.
jieiku View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jieiku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 1:58am
Dreaming, congrats on getting your boat up and going! I recently picked up a 1986 Mastercraft in VERY similar condition!

It has the 351w and was obviously watterlogged, same water line accross the flywheel like yours, and just like yours, the rear cylinders on each head are low compression....

I am guessing that when water get into the engine/intake, that it just naturally takes the path to the back cylinders? you did mention that your intake was cracked.

looking at mine, none of my freeze plugs are blown, so maybe it didnt freeze as badly as yours did, did you ever figure out how the water ended up into the rear cylinders? assuming it was just from sitting and not being covered/winterized for a long time.

I really appreciate any response, I am basically going through the same thing with my new to me boat.

here is my thread: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=80060&page=3

my compression numbers look like this:

right head:
1: 100
2: 177 (carbon buildup or something?)
3: 123
4: 78 (wet 92)

Left Head:
5: 112
6: 116
7: 117
8: 62 (wet 105)
1986 Mastercraft Skier P-S 351w
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2016 at 7:44pm
Kris says - "I've decided that the next one will probably not be a project "

Ha ha ha - I so agree, Kris. Bummer on the truck breakdown. Snoqualmie Pass is a LONG ways from anywhere. Drop me a line next week so we can catch up. I'm playing with my grandson all week this week!!!

Kevin
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2016 at 7:18pm
He guys, Sorry for the delayed response, we were away on vacation.     Unfortunately, we made it approximately 60 miles from the house before the truck cam shaft sensor decided it was done (Snoqualmie pass- For Kevin's benefit) and left us with a large tow bill and some really bummed out kids.     After being towed, we decided to salvage what was left of our vacation days and went to the ocean instead, sans boat.   So, no lake Chelan boating excursion for us this year, I guess we'll have to try again next summer.     The trailer brake issue was amazingly simple, I am not sure why someone had put 4 new backing plates and new shoes on the trailer, and failed to adjust them, but it sure made stopping a WHOLE lot nicer once they were all adjusted properly.   

For lessons learned on the engine rebuild/assembly:

- get a harmonic damper installing tool.    You can rent the puller at a local auto supply store, but the install tool will save your..... bacon.    I tried to put the balancer on with the bolt, and had to look for a new bolt for several hours on a holiday weekend.    It was expensive, and I had to buy the install tool anyway, so just buy it in the first place.     BTW, no impact wrench was involved in severly cross threading the bolt (1/4" of threads), it was all by hand, but I mis-interpreted the resistance as the pulley needing to go on, instead of the fact that I was crossed up.   once stuck, the cross thread was VERY difficult to remove.
- New ford blocks have an oil dip stick hole in the block, this is easily sealed by installing a "freeze plug" in the hole.    There are several hack methods, but since the soft plug is so readily available, and is a removable solution if the block needs to have a dipstick in the future, the choice seemed clear.   
- My Edelbrock RPM performer manifold with a 1" stock spacer and a standard spark arrestor fit fine under the dog house, YMMV, but it may work if your alignment puts the engine lower than about 1/2 way on the mounts. it is very tight though
- Great stuff comes in caulking style tubes, about half the size of a standard tube.   this is plenty of sealer if you end up doing everything with the same sealant.   I used most of the 1/2 size tube.   I did GS my oil pan, before reading the instructions that the sealer is only n eeded in the corners, but I read several varying opinions on whether or not to seal the silicone seal or not.   Time will tell, it does not leak yet, after almost an hour of run time.

- WINTERIZE....   yes, this is important, I would not have purchased this boat if I had known all the things that I would need to replace due to someones lack of attention to winterizing.     I had to do breakers, steering cable, engine, exhaust, bilge pump, shower, blower etc, as I think that the water got pretty high before it froze.    Over all, I have a much greater understanding for how these boats are put together, and a greater appreciation for how much they cost.   I've decided that the next one will probably not be a project
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2016 at 10:28pm
Congratulations, how does it sound?
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2016 at 5:10pm
Yes! Congratulations!
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2016 at 8:39pm
Some photo evidence

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2016 at 8:28pm
well, it has been a LONG couple of days, but the engine is in, and I put the boat in the water this morning for a shake down cruise! ... Pretty excited to have it start, idle and go.    It definitely needs a bit of adjustment,    I must have mis-adjusted the transmission shift cable, as the forward shift is a bit on the hard side, and comes in about 900rpm or so.   reverse feels super nice and comes in great.   I had 75PSI of oil pressure, and ran at about 175 for temp on the lake, so I feel pretty happy with where we are now.    definitely some lessons learned that I'll post later, but on the way to the lake today, I discovered some trailer braking issues that I need to go look at..    BTW,   my intake barely fits under the dog house, but it works, I think it is squishing the insulation just a hair, but that's something to worry about later.
TallTex View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TallTex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2016 at 1:00pm
My vote for problem with low compression is a valve issue not rings. The TBI injectors may had water in them from water in the tank. All needs to be cleaned from tank forward, injectors can be rebuilt and calibrated to flow equally.
TallTex View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TallTex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2016 at 5:01pm
Seems complete, I have seen worse. I do not see anything that is scary. Most all can be rebuilt/reburb. Several good TBI rebuilders online too. Had my injectors rebuilt, calibrated mine flow equal and better than new. I personally would not buy old bon-yard parts until a machine shop confirms what you have is not repairable. Look over at Fordmuscle forums for lots of how-tos on all things Ford performance. Your engine is basically same as Ford Lightning 150 or other similar HP models. Good to start as original and an be a real beast with the right tweaks.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2016 at 5:59am
Kris, any updates? Did you get it installed and started? That new engine sure is pretty.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2016 at 7:10pm
Does switching from the stock fiberglass muffler on the GT40 to the Y pipe add any power or does it just enhance sound?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2016 at 6:30pm
That pic is 10yrs old, back from when I upgraded my '90. Those pics have been posted a few times on here. Haven't built a warm sbf since then... The stealth is what got installed.

Performer is 1.5" taller than stock. Stealth is another 1" taller yet.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2016 at 5:45pm
Great answer for him Tim, your spare parts list is amazing. You must be experimenting a lot.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2016 at 9:59am
Tim:

Good to see the side-by-side. I almost bought the Weiand Stealth as the specifications showed it lower than the Edelbrock Performer. I even called both manufacturers to verify numbers. Both verified the printed specifications. Looks like somebody at Holley/Weiand has their numbers wrong.

Based on your picture, it appears that the Edelbrock is a little higher than the stock manifold (assuming that is a stock manifold). What is the height difference from stock to the Edelbrock?

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2016 at 8:50am
Specs are wrong or are using different reference points.

Stock-stealth-performer

Performer-stealth-stock
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2016 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Incorrect. Stealth is comparable in performance and height to a Performer RPM. Taller than the Performer by about 1".

Weiand Stealth: Height: Front 4.37", Rear 5.06". Carb pad height 4.72"
Performer: Height: Front 4.30", Rear 5.30"; Carb pad height: 4.80"

Very close, but, per the specs, the Weiand Stealth is a smidge lower.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2016 at 10:34pm
4 hole spacers add low-mid torque, open spacers help mid upper hp. That's the conventional line of thinking anyways.

Depending on the intake and arrestor you're running, it may be a moot point. Motor box clearance may make your decision easier. PCV plumbing is a consideration if you decide to ditch the spacer.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2016 at 7:31pm
I believe most of the time that improvement happens at higher rims than these engines will ever see. There might be a little better torque in the midrange.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2016 at 7:20pm
I have seen dyno operators test an engine, then add a spacer and see the same exact engine pick up 10 or more horsepower. The whys of this I can't explain but many times the spacer will add horsepower. When do you put a fire in the hole? (start it up)
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2016 at 1:37pm
Progress update    
So Summit didn't have the intake in stock, but I found that JEG's did, so after canceling and re-ordering the intake, I received it last night,

The night's beginning canvas:

Here is where I finished up:   

More progress for tonight I hope, as I'd like to get this thing installed on Saturday so I can do my initial run and testing Sunday or Monday.   

anyone that understands carb spacers, I am still confused about why they are needed.   even after reading several internet articles, I think that the 4 hole spacer I have is supposed to give the engine more low end torque, correct?    Other articles say not to run them, but that's where some of the site expertise would be helpful.    What has your experience been?

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2016 at 9:18pm
Ok, well, I may have just created more work for myself.    I was thinking that the performer RPM and the Performer were the same height.   Several threads recommended the RPM vs the straight performer, so that is what I have on the way.    Here is the thread I found during my research Intake Thread I may end up having to cut down the flame arrestor a bit if all doesn't go as planned.   

Tim - can you explain the purpose of the carb spacer with the PCV port?   it appears that there is a vacuum port on the manifold that could be used for the PCV if I wanted to eliminate the spacer.    Eliminating the spacer could get the carb lower and limit the need for arrestor Mods and throttle cable adjustments too.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2016 at 7:05am
Incorrect. Stealth is comparable in performance and height to a Performer RPM. Taller than the Performer by about 1".
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2016 at 2:24am
I believe that the Weiand Stealth is a bit lower than the Edelbrock Performer. Height may be an issue, so an inch may be significant.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic