Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

81 SN upholstery opinion question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 81 SN upholstery opinion question
    Posted: December-17-2005 at 12:14pm
We're going to re-upholster the boat this year but were trying to decide on a few things and I thought I'd ask you guys.

As the topic says, it's a 1981 Ski. It is a true anniversary edition. It has the chrome windsheidl frame, white dash w/ wood grain, split back seat, chrome rails down the side.

Anyway, on each seat there are 2 stripes, one on each side. (Sorry I don't have pics, but some of you may know what I'm talking about.) I was trying to decide wether to leave them all the same color, light tan, or make the stripes brown, like the color of the boat.

I want to keep the boat basically stock, how it came from the factory because it is somewhat of a collectors item, not only b/c it is a true "anniversary edition", but it was also on the US ski circuit, used by the Dallas Ski Club. It also is one of the only 1981s that has the Chevrolet 350 instead of the Ford 351.

Any suggestions?
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2005 at 7:17am
Surroundsound64,

I am in the middle of a reupholstery job on my 81 anniversary boat and I had the same interior as you.

I decided to update the look of my boat because I plan on keeping it for a while and am not concerned with the resale.

As for your question if you want it to be original then I guess you have to do the straping in the same color as the rest of the interior, I chose not to put them back at all. I will be posting pics of mine once I'm done but that won't be for atleast a month yet, I'm getting my skins back from MWCC this week and still have do replace the carpeting.

A word of caution, I though my wood seat bases were pretty good but once I removed the skins everything fell apart. I ended up rebuilding the wood on all the seating.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2005 at 12:15pm
The reason we're reupholstering it in the first place is because the wood has all rotted. The upholstery it self is in good shapw, we might even keep it. Just add new cushion and wood.

Do you have the extra high capt chair?

Thanks!
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2005 at 1:39pm
yep, I have the high back driver seat, deluxe spotter seat, split rear seats and coaming pads.   I'll post some pics of the wood frames later, I've got some on my camera but it's in the wifes car right now. MWCC does not have the patterns for this interior, it was very limited. I had to send them my old skins and they used them as templates. Cost on a standard interior is about $800 mine cost $950 because there is a lot of extra work with this style.

If your gonna have them do them for you don't waste any time, it has been 10 weeks now waiting for mine but they are shipping to me in the next few days.   Can't wait to see them.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2005 at 7:00pm
Here's some photos of what I've got done so far. I used 5/8 plywood and all joints are put together with bisquits, polyurethane waterproof glue, stainless steel screws then later I put a coat of resin on everything and a strip of fiberglass on the joints of the seat back for a little more strength. I may have overdone it alitlle but they should last a while

Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2005 at 12:59pm
Nice looking seat frames. When you get them upholsterd send the down here to Texas and I'll test them for you.
Bob Ed
83 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2005 at 4:11pm
No problem, just send them back with your boat still attached and I'll test drive that velvet drive for ya Thanks for the compliment. Now we'll just have to see how my upholstery skills are.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic