Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not another Mustang restoration thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3031323334 54>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 9:08am
Minor thread jack-
I would like to understand more on the longer nose starter. The starter in my '71 has been replaced but is hit or miss sometimes. When it does not engage a love tap with a hammer or screwdriver handle it will engage and turn the engine. It should go as no surprise as Rico, Scott Monahan and I were floating and out of beer with a starter that would not engage it was TRB that had the magic touch to get the starter to engage.
I suspect the PO replaced the starter with one from the autoparts store.

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Does not matter anyway,if I recall this is the extra engine that you have from the SS right? You know this engine is correct rotation because you have already had it running. Not much of a chance the other engine having the wrong starter on it anyway because a Holman Moody used a special nose starter. Any other starter, lefty or righty will not fit because of it's length. Art told me one can be made up by using a nose and bendix from one and a motor from another but not many people know that. I think it came up when Dave H needed one. This is the time when getting yours repaired can save a lot of headaches
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 11:53am
Pete, that would work... Of course, the heads and valve train need to be installed! Looks like john may have broken the engine down already.

Greg, I think you need a starter rebuild. I'm guessing you have the correct (probably original) starter. If it were the wrong length, it wouldn't engage properly, ever.

Dave H must have figured out a solution to the starter issue, as I believe Tim confirmed his starter is relatively new (not rebuilt original). I'm guessing there is a catalog ford starter out there that crosses to the HM set up, though no one has ever posted that info here.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Greg, I think you need a starter rebuild. I'm guessing you have the correct (probably original) starter. If it were the wrong length, it wouldn't engage properly, ever.

Greg,
I agree with Tim. Since you're tapping on it with a hammer, it needs brushes and a communtator clean up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

. I'm guessing there is a catalog ford starter out there that crosses to the HM set up, though no one has ever posted that info here.

My understanding is no and may be true on lefty's but no right hands are available. Has to be assembled from different starters. Art knows how to get around it and I believe Woody was somehow involved too. If it was the wrong one it does not mount,the nose is too long and bottoms out on the bellhousing
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 1:08pm
Not that I don't believe you Gary, but if that were the case, it seems HM would have had to go through a lot of effort to design a bell housing that didn't use a standard starter. It would seem a lot more plausible if the starter were a performance enhancing device.

Now if someone told me that the convention was common in the mid 60's and now defunct, making marine (especially RH) starters of that style NLA or something to that effect, I'd believe it. But to design it that way from the get go? Call me skeptical.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 1:23pm
Only going by what Art told me at SJRR at the boat show,I think that was just after Dave needed one and had put the call out on here. I would guess it was something that was a maybe a design change.
John don't forget my block had been changed over the years,yours most likely never has been apart. It might depend on where it was run too,mine has always ran clear when drained but this year it only run on Quinner's lake. Mud came out when I drained it this time,who knows where it had been
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 2:53pm
Tim, as you know, the H/M bell housing is their own design. It is aluminum and different from Ford bell housings with the rear engine mounts cast in to allow the BW tranz to be removed without loosening the motor mounts and supporting the rear of the engine.
My question is how do you experienced fellas attack water jacket corrosion? Thermal cleaning works great if you want to bore the engine, but I do not. Redi-Strip can dip it, a process that will remove all of the internal corrosion and not damage any metal allowing it to be reassembled with just a light hone. To do the block, manifold, and heads runs around $500,and takes 3-4 weeks because they are a busy shop. They did all the mechanical components of my M38 Jeep and they looked like new. Maybe that's overkill since I'll be circulating water with some tannic acid through it from the first day. Does anyone think an acceptable job can be done by removing the freeze plugs and using scraping tools, brushes, and whatever I can get into the holes to scrape and vacuum. Is that the recommended procedure? I'm sure this is a common problem.
Gary, as far as I can tell this boat has been used primarily on Paw Paw lake in Michigan and Cedar Lake in WI. It was stored unused since about 2001-2003.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 3:02pm
Yes, clearly their own bellhousing design John... My point was why would they design it with a non-standard starter in mind? I have to believe it was standard at the time, whether or not it's still available is the real question! I know it's not the same as a "normal" starter used by other marinizers.

I've never given much thought to water jacket corrosion/scale. Unless they appear to be nearly plugged, I'd likely reassemble and forget about it. Overheating issues traced to cooling passage corrosion are extremely rare (at least it would seem) in our mostly fresh water engines.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 3:18pm
Regarding the starter issue, I'll have to contact The Godfather and find out where he got the new starter on the 72. Tim called me wanting a part # but couldn't find one easily without removing the starter. For the sake of future reference and help to others here I might have to yank it off and have a looksie......

On the manifolds......would using a diluted Muratic solution (or aluminum pontoon cleaner) work in this case for eating the corrosion? We use it here at work for the same reason but not for heavy corrosion removal. No proof that it will but something to think about.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 3:51pm
+1 on muratic acid. I used it to clean concrete from tools, doesn't hurt (non heat treated) iron.    Just FYI, acid is very bad for heat treated steel, causes hydrogen embrittlement.

Maybe use some wire to help push the gunk out.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

,mine has always ran clear when drained but this year it only run on Quinner's lake. Mud came out when I drained it this time,who knows where it had been

Gary,
Are you sure that was mud? When I was over at CQ's, one of the questions I asked him was were his septic and field was!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 5:58pm
I would not get muratic acid near those manifolds but I believe the question is about the block and heads. I'd check around with some engine shops and see what they say. If you wanted or decided to do it yourself maybe you could open the passages in the head to block mating surface with something,then bolt them together,stand it up on the flywheel end and then fill it withe a muratic acid solution. A lot of messing around with some dangerous stuff though.
Pete you might have something there!
Tim I 'm thinking the same on the starter. Don't think it was designed special but the bellhousing was designed around what was available but something changed. Either HM decided they were out of the marine business so no redesign,maybe those types of starters were in the supply so it was no problem but bottom line is you can't use a common off the shelf PCM type replacement.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 6:00pm
In terms of that crud/corrosion. Muratic acid isn't so feasible with the block and would require the heads be completely torn down. I wouldn't tear down either the head or blocks just because of what you show there. I would get out my wire and pipe cleaner, pop out the core plugs and push the wire where ever I could get it while shop vaccuming the core plugs. Followed by a good stream of compressed air and more vaccuming, then I would sleep real good at night. Although in the future you might lean towards leaving that engine filled with antifreeze in the winter over the drain it and forget it method.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 6:39pm
I started chipping away with pointy objects. It really isn't as bad as I thought. Most of the corrosion I was concerned about had built up around the water passages between the block and head where the flow is restricted by the gasket. I will continue on this route.
Greg, about the starter. I got my spare out, it is locked up but it is a RR starter. It appears to be a special unit for these engines. The H/M bell housing is only 3.5" deep. I have no knowledge of the bell housing in other marinizers packages, but a standard Ford automotive bell housing for a Ford 302/351 with a toploader is 6.25". A standard Ford 302/351 marine starter nose is 2-3/8" deep for both CW & CCW, . CCW Ford 302/351 starter
The H/M starter nose is 1-7/8" deep. The cast nose piece has a casting mark of               ACE C-2747.. Other than that the exterior appears to be a standard Ford marine starter however the armature would most likely be shorter than a standard armature. Looks like a blue oval on the end plate. Maybe you can make one from a standard Ford CCW marine and your parts. I believe you will need to find a shop to rebuild yours. If there is anything I can do to help let me know.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2016 at 11:55am
I know a few things about Ford starters, usually learned the hard way over the years.

The short nose starter on the HM's you guys are talking about can still be bought in a RR starter. The ARCO part number is 70107. You can find them new, for sale on the internet. At least I did a few minutes ago. It's a CCW rotating starter which is the right way for a RR marine Ford with this style starter (entering from the front.)

Also Like Tim B. said nobody designed a special starter for this application. If you put a short nose starter (2 inch nose piece) right next to the long nose one (2 3/8 inch nose piece) you'll see that they are the exact same length overall and you can swap the noses from one to another to make whatever version you want. A word of caution, the starters must look the same other than the nosepiece, there were changes in Ford starters and you can't mix and match different styles

You can take your more common long nose starter,pull the nose off, replace it with your old short one and have your RR marine short nose starter that way. I did it with automotive ones maybe 25 or 30 years ago and don't remember having any issues. This was on a 67 Bronco that needed a short nosed one and I had a extra but it had the long nose

An old guy with an auto electric shop showed me how to do it It was pretty easy

The short nose starter in automotive applications was for a standard trans with a 164 tooth flywheel and the long one fit the 157 tooth flywheel and also auto trans flexplates.

There is a difference in ring gear mounting location between 157 (at the rear of the flywheel) and 164 tooth (at the front of the flywheel) dictating the need for starters with different nose lengths. Automatics had the ring gear at the rear of the flexplate like the 157 tooth ring gear on the manual flywheels. Also needed different bellhousings for the different tooth counts.

Might be a little tough to understand unless you've "been there, done that"

Ford had some real confusing flywheel/ring gear and starter variations over the years.

I know nothing about HM bellhousings, flywheels etc but I'd tend to think they had a 164 tooth flywheel on engines that used the short nosed starter. Maybe somebody here could count their HM ring gear teeth to verify or dispel this.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2016 at 12:58pm
Thank you Ken! I will verify the tooth count within the next couple of days when I take the tranz off. Great information.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2016 at 9:49pm

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2016 at 10:20pm
Here are pictures of the starter type I've done this swap on

Its the big early Ford starter and there are a couple shots to show the difference in the noses

It's the same style as the ARCO 70107 for RR engines or 70106 for normal rotation.

The short nose piece in my pictures has the same casting number on it that John B's has.
It's ACE C2747 ...........just a run of the mill Ford part.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2016 at 11:01pm
Thanks again Ken. That made my day. I think it may be a good idea to get a new one just because 45 years may be pushing it. Do you have any knowledge of the rocker numbers I can't figure out?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2016 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

I think it may be a good idea to get a new one just because 45 years may be pushing it.

John,
My 62 year and 52 year old starters work great and nether have been touched except for a clean up!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2016 at 10:55am
When they only get used 3 times per year they can last a long time...
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2016 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Same with impellers...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2016 at 11:16am

Really? How about day to day vehicles that are probably started over 600 times per year and last for years and years.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2016 at 11:21am
Your day to day lesbianmobile is 60 years old?
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2016 at 1:08pm

Holy sh!t I just spit my drink all over my desk.

Hysterical.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2016 at 1:09pm
Both are valid points on the starter. The current one may work for years to come, or it may leave us stranded at the Tiki Bar dock on a perfect day with family waiting to use the boat. Other than the "toon, this will be "the boat" and it will be used a lot. It is hard to justify losing the use of the family ski boat for several days of the limited time they can spend at the lake with me and Jan over $180 starter.

The de-rusting is going pretty well for only 17 hours. here are before and after photos of the thermostat housing. There were large pieces of loose rust scale almost completely obstructing the water flow to one manifold (the aluminum ones that melt without sufficient water flow) and the bypass hole looked like it was completely obstructed. I am considering doing the block as well. Too bad I don't have a hydrogen car here, i'm making a lot of fuel for one.
BEFORE

17 HOURS LATER

I'll take another look in 24 hours.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2016 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

[QUOTE=Hollywood] Your day to day lesbianmobile is 60 years old?

Holy sh!t I just spit my drink all over my desk.

Hysterical.

Yea, funniest thing I've seen lately.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2016 at 1:55pm

Sorry that you missed the point I was making.
No, the lesbianmobile isn't 60 years old!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2016 at 2:06pm
John,
The electrolysis method of removing rust has come up and I believe it was for exhaust manifolds. I commented it being a "line of site" process so if internal surfaces need de rusting, the electrodes must be placed inside the cavity and preferably the shape of the cavity. It's the same principle of electroplating only in reverse.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2016 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Sorry that you missed the point I was making.
No, the lesbianmobile isn't 60 years old!

No one missed it, humor makes the world go round, even if it's at your expense. This cyber home wouldn't be the same without you.... And HW, and......

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3031323334 54>
  Share Topic