Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not another Mustang restoration thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2425262728 54>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 4:31pm
I am not usually an epoxy snob, but in this case I would use epoxy instead of the vinyl, because you are not removing the old stuff your best bet is to go at it with the epoxy which has better adhesion to the less than optimal surfaces and higher strength in case something it is attached to isn't as special as it should be.   I cant imagine the vinyl is terribly cheaper for this job.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 4:22pm
Will vinylester play well with the poly already in there and the CPES treatments?
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
You forgot the first step will be to grind off the bilge resin almost down to glass.

Thanks for reminding me Pete. I unintentionally left that out, probably because it is what I dread most. While you're up, what is the best solvent to use to clean the oily residue up before grinding? I don't want to use anything water based since, although the boat wasn't wet, the stringers have been drying for three or so years in my garage. I don't want to use anything that would adversely affect the resin bond either. Mineral spirits? lacquer thinner? acetone? what do you think?
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 3:47pm
John,
You forgot the first step will be to grind off the bilge resin almost down to glass.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Remind us of your plan again, I've forgotten it!

Ha, It's hard to keep score when my ADD keeps flaring up constantly. The plan as stands:
Cut off dis-bonded fiberglass, treat stringers with CPES, fill hole with U.S. Composites 700 vinyl ester and milled fiberglass, fair out stringer to hull with fillet joint using thickened vinyl ester and cab-o-sil, use U.S. Composites "Industry Style 7725" cloth to glass in the stringers. (It will undoubtedly increase the strength of the structure to have the cloth bonded to the wood), build a little extra thickness on the stringers for strength, reassemble with CPES'd marine plywood floor. add freshened up power package, wire, install accessories, enjoy. nothing to it! I think making a partial cradle is over the top. The bolts hold tight as is and with the small repair to the damaged holes it will probably be stronger than new with the longer SS bolts that were in it.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 3:22pm
John,
I missed the vinyl ester too. Go with the epoxy.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 3:17pm
Remind us of your plan again, I've forgotten it!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Wait, vinylester? I'd skip that.

Hmmm, I thought I had this figured out. no Vinyl ester? I was looking at the U.S. Composites 700 vinyl ester resin.
http://www.uscomposites.com/polyesters.html

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 3:11pm
Wait, vinylester? I'd skip that.

In terms of required resin, you'll use as much as any full stringer job, not sure his you'd get away with less than 10gal.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 3:01pm
John,
When you order the resin, get the metering pumps. It makes each batch easy to make up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 2:55pm
sure!

thought I posted this before, but we have PLENTY of cabosil leftover from kytom2 if you do end up needing any
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Probably comes in 1 gallon quantities just like the epoxy. Not a bad idea to start small and get more if you feel you will need it instead of kicking around 2 gallons that never get used.

I have 3 gallons of U.S. Composits 4lb foam I have been kicking around. I hate to throw it out but I'm tired of seeing it. Anyone need it?

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 2:35pm
Probably comes in 1 gallon quantities just like the epoxy. Not a bad idea to start small and get more if you feel you will need it instead of kicking around 2 gallons that never get used.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 2:32pm
That elongated hole is where the Marine tex was, I have removed all the Marine tex with a drill, screwdriver and long nose pliers. The hole is about 2-1/2" deep and the wood still holds bolts as is. The wood around the hole is in good condition. It seems to me that it may be a bit drastic to do a complete stringer job for this area. I have a theory that this area was damaged due to a cracked and leaking manifold or exhaust hose that dripped on the engine mount over years. The discharge of the manifold is right above the motor mount bolts and the manifolds had been replaced with Oscos when I bought it due to the H/Ms cracking and leaking many years ago. You can see the condition of the other mounting positions and there is no damage. Tim was nice enough to explain some of the basics of fiberglass repair to me so I am worse than a complete clueless amateur, I am an amateur armed with just a little knowledge. I plan on using epoxy thickened with milled fiber to fill the hole. I am reluctant to drill holes in the stringers in any area but around the bolts. For the most part they are very solid. I feel that repairing this hole is not that much more serious than repairing a hole that has been stripped by removal and over tightening of the bolts from repeated alignment and engine removal, and dealers/repair shops must run into that all the time. but what do I know? Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone. I am going to order the supplies today or tomorrow and I am thinking of buying 3 gallons of vinyl ester epoxy. I think that will be enough but if not they will be happy to sell me more. I think the 5 gallon will be too much and would be hard to handle if it comes in a pail or large can.
One more thing, I think I understand the advantage of a double tapered shaft. I do not want to pull the engine in the event of damage to the strut / shaft / seal. The hub is VERY hard to remove and would require heat. I may go that route. Also I think I need remove the genitalia and lower the boat down onto some foam pads to do the fiberglass work. I am having a great deal of trouble climbing into the boat repeatedly from a ladder. Joints are never as good as new after they have been repaired and three out of four of my limbs have had had surgical repair, one as many as three times. Not complaining, just trying to plan accordingly.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 2:05pm
I'm with Tim on the independent angles. NOT NEEDED, but a step above filling that tranny hole with epoxy.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 1:35pm
A full cradle is certainly an option but now you're talking welding.

I would recommend a piece of angle on each side, not connected. Put the vertical on the outside of the mains. That way, access the underside from the bilge side rather than complicating the floor design (like seen on 80-88 SN's).
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 1:01pm
He could go inside just like the factory does and could incorporate the pylon mount at the same time since his is gone. A HM sits on top of the stringers not on the inside like a PCM
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 12:52pm
I meant scallop for the nuts on the underside of each mount, but you're right- may or may not need to trim he stringer height by the thickness of the angle so that it ends up flush.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 12:48pm
Aluminum L wrapping on the outside of the stringer is a great idea. You may end up too narrow trying to go inside like a factory cradle.

Possibly no scalloping needed if the mounts have 1/4" up to go OR just flip them upside down and shim.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 12:43pm
Agreed on milled fiber of you fill it back in. Scalloping under the mounts and putting a cradle (or 2 independent pieces of angle) and then through bolting the mounts is another consideration.

You're also very close (in terms of cost and effort) to a full stringer replacement... So if you come across more questionable spots, keep that in mind.

There are several viable repair options from what I see.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I feel the Cab-o-sil since it's softer than the milled fibers so I feel it will handle the lag bolts better. Unless you drill plenty of clearance for the threaded section and the shank of the lags, there's a chance of cracking the fill using milled fiber.

Pre drill the holes and use the milled fiber it's the milled fiber that is going to keep it from cracking. I agree with all else above - dry thoroughly - remove spongy - cpes - fill - glass - reassemble - enjoy
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 11:25am
I feel the Cab-o-sil since it's softer than the milled fibers so I feel it will handle the lag bolts better. Unless you drill plenty of clearance for the threaded section and the shank of the lags, there's a chance of cracking the fill using milled fiber.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 11:19am
John, I would route out the rot and remove as much of the damaged wood as possible then follow up with CPES as the others suggested. Once it hardens then fill the hole with a resin/ milled fibers mixture as the fibers will add more strength to the repair then resin mixed with Cab-o-Sil. The latter is just a thickened epoxy and you'll want the extra strength in the repair that milled fibers offer.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 10:54am
FYI info straight out of the DAL composite Class Training Manual.............

Milled Fibers -   Used to thicken and reinforce resin and typically used to repair small holes in solid laminates (ie wood)

Microballoons - Very Small hollow spheres. used to displace resin and lighten the potting compound. Primary use is a potting compound and dent filler....

CAB-O-SIL - Added to resin as a thixotropic agent to prevent sagging. ( turns runny watery type resin into a cold molasses consistancy or creamy peanut butter if you add enough)

Where cloth is concerned you have 2 basic types of weaves.....SATIN or PLAIN

SATIN - asymmetrical weave pattern that will have a different number of yarns per square inch. Satin weave fabrics will not have equal strength in all directions but its attributes are its more drapable than plain weaves and used in areas of complex curves.

PLAIN - Equal number of yarns per square inch and equally strong in all directions. The drawback is that it doesn't conform to complex curves to well. (ie corners and tight radiuses)

Hope that helps y'all who are reading!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 10:30am
Would not milled glass be a better filler Pete?
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 10:23am
John,
I agree with Bruce about a repair. I know you were planning on a CPES treatment anyway but I recommend taking it on more step. Drill 1/4" holes I'd say every 6" down the full length of each stringer as deep as you can. (long drill bits are available but, don't drill through the hull!!! ) Using a small funnel repeatedly fill each hole with the CPES. Considering how dry the wood is, it will really soak it up. Around the area where it looks like they used Marine Tex, (I hate the stuff!!) see if you can get it out by drilling small holes around it and pulling it with a needle nose. If not, CPES around the Marine Tex via the holes you drilled. For the big hole, the epoxy filler of choice would be Cabosil.

Keep in mind us old guys do get beat up pretty easy so get some rest but also keep on moving forward!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 9:25am
You can probably fill it with epoxy and fiber, (I forget the name, but it is drillable), and be good to go, but undoubtably some will say you need to do a complete stringer job now. I would opt for the repair if the damage is confined to the area of that hole and rot is not extensive.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 4:14am
I had a disappointment today, I found that there is damage to the port stringer at the rear engine mount.The two bolts have an issue that a previous repair had fixed, but I believe the repair could have been done a bit better, maybe not, I'm an amateur so go figure. It appears the two holes had an issue and probably wouldn't hold a bolt. The area between the bolts looks like it was drilled to a slot and filled with something that looked like Marine tex. Slightly longer SS bolts were installed. The bolts were tight and held pressure when I removed them, but it's just not right. I believe all the bolts have all been replaced with slightly longer SS bolts and bedded as well. The wood toward the keel is a bit compromised but will still take a moderate ball peen hammer blow.
I'm planning to address this with composite stuff. I would thing that the CPES treatment would prepare the wood well and the hole could be filled with thickened epoxy and drilled to accept the bolts. With a bond between the wood and fiberglass I believe I could build a bit of thickness for rigidity and be ready to go. The stringers have good adhesion to the hull. I would love to do a Coosa stringer job but the reality is that I am just too beat up to take on that job. I may be down for a few days after the work I have done today. I want to enjoy the thing and the "kids" would like to go skiing. Is this reasonable?

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2015 at 8:36pm
Lookin good,great to see you making progress John. Really lucky with the weather, I guess it's making up for the crummy spring we had.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2015 at 8:19pm
I got off the L Z Boy today. A little more work than I thought for a one arm geezer.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2425262728 54>
  Share Topic