NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Abandoned Mustang Project - Need Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abandoned Mustang Project - Need Advice
    Posted: July-24-2005 at 12:06am
There is a CC Mustang that was abandoned at the marina where I store my boat. It looks like it hasn't been in the water since '99. I'm thinking about making an "as is" offer to the marina to get it off their hands. I want to know what this group thinks the maximum offer should be. Keep in mind I want to make my offer without even putting the boat in the water or trying to fire it up. Here's a picture of the boat.
Abandoned Mustang Hull

The boat looks okay on the outside. It doesn't have a trailer and it has some nice dings in the hull. Here's a picture of the dings.
Dings
Am I crazy? I'm a mechanical guy and can fix most things myself, but am I getting in over my head? What if I can get the boat for next to nothing, just so the marina can get it out of their lot?

Also, can anyone tell me what year this might be? Or other things I should look into? I've looked around and it appears to be a 75 Mustang 17.

One more thing. How the heck do you get images to show up inline?

THANKS!
swamp demon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swamp demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2005 at 2:08am
it looks like a 1974. Look on the upper right hand corner of the stern the last two digits in the serial # should be the year.
From your picture it looks pretty good the dings don't look like to big a deal.
The main thing to check are the stringers. And then the motor, If this is in northern indiana I could even look at it for you.
260-485-8794 ask for Tom
Clear Lake,Indiana
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2005 at 2:20am
It's on the north side of Indianapolis, in Noblesville. How can I check the stringers? Will I be able to tell by walking on the floor? What kind of things can I check about the motor without trying to fire it up?

It looks like it was a well-cared for boat, at least until recently.
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2005 at 12:12am
Sweet boat, you bet I would take it if was close enough. The hull doesnt look that bad considering. We have 2 of those babies and I wouldnt trade them for anything. Just as raw parts, it would be worth big $$.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2005 at 12:15am
From the picture, it has a rope rubrail which was after 1976. Somewhere in 1977-1978 they went to big MUSTANG 17 stenciling. It is possible someone replaced the rub rail.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2005 at 12:19am
This will be my first CC if I can work out a deal. I want one bad - I bought a boat two years ago, a Rinker 206, and then discovered wakeboarding. The Rinker is a nice big boat, but it's not a ski boat. I want a boat that will throw a nice wake - I'm hitting the limits of the pop I can get out of the Rinker.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2005 at 12:24am
So you think it might be a 76? I've seen similar lettering on a 75, but I couldn't find any 17' Mustangs before 74. The rope rub rail looks like it hasn't been touched in years. I can't find a hull number on this boat. I've looked all over the back.

How much should I offer the marina for this thing? They want to recoup some of the "storage fees". I want to make them an 'as is' offer, without testing the motor or anything, just because it gives me more leverage for a low offer. Any negotiating tips? The marina here is a real price gouger and I want to get a good deal since I'll probably have to put some bucks into this boat to get it wet next year.

jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2005 at 1:23am
I guess I'll take a shot at it. I think without any more information than you know, you would be safe offering $1000 without a trailer. Much less and they might not take you seriously. If you find out it is in great condition, it's probably worth more like $5000 without a trailer.

The quickest way to check the stringers is to try and turn the eight lag bolts at the motor and transmission mounts. They should be tight.

A visual inspection of an engine doesn't tell you much. You could pull the dip sticks on the engine and transmission to check for water in the oil or any "burnt" smell. But the best indicators would only be with the engine running (high oil pressure, low temperature, no smoke, no knocking or tapping).
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Scott View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2005 at 11:37am
Does the Marina have the title for the boat? Without a title you could have a rough time registering the boat as yours.
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2005 at 6:53pm
I own a 1979 Mustang , If you are looking for a wake board boat you should consider a Ski Nautique from 1982 to 1989 , This is called the 2001 Hull series and the wake is AWESOME on these years . The mustang has no tracking fins on the bottom of the boat and can be pulled around pretty easily when cutting hard at the wake . If you get the boat for $1000.00 that would be a good deal , Play with it for a while , re sell it and get a 82 to 89 Nautique .
Mike
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swamp demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2005 at 10:30pm
Just saw today a 84,85? 2001 up at wawasee on hwy 13 near the church 7500.00
wh/blue lettering w/trailer did not stop but it didn't look to bad.
Clear Lake,Indiana
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2005 at 12:10am
The marina doesn't have the title. I'll have to go through the abandoned title process if I can't find the owner and convince them to sign it over to me in exchange for settling their debt with the marina. This might end up being more trouble than it's worth.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2005 at 12:58am
    Might want to check your state laws. Here in Maine after I believe 20 years you dont need one. I bought my 1976 Mustang 17 last year and the guy I bought it from made me out a bill of sale on a plain piece of paper, handwritten, I then took it to the registry and showed them. I have no title on it. But I suppose the marina has to legally own it before they can sell it to you. If the legal paperwork beween the 2 parties have been done, then it may not be so bad....

STILL AN AWESOME BOAT!!!!!
Good luck!!
Also a way to tell the year is the ignition key on 1974 models were almost all the way to the right of the dash. Sometime in 75 or early 76 they moved it to the center of the dash because so many complaints about trying to use both arms on the same side to run the throttle and key at the same time.
    Ive also found even without the center keels, the boat plows so much water it really doesnt move much sideways. I like not having them because I "beach" my boat alot on the sand islands.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2005 at 9:23pm
This is definitely a '74. I took a better look today and found the hull number. I also turned up another problem though. The gel coat is in pretty bad shape. It's falling off on parts of the hull and there are cracks all over it. Is this a deal breaker? What kind of money am I looking at to fix the gel coat?

THANKS!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2005 at 12:18am
    All of those boats gel coat crack over time. It seems like 500 hrs is the magic number. Both of ours started cracking at about the same amount of use. If you buff them heck out if it with some diamond cut, then wax, the cracks dont look so bad. It really doesnt effect the performance, and will not hurt anything so long as the fiberglass is ok. Our 1974 Mustang 17 has been cracked for 20 years and its still fine.
    If it has a OMC 225 engine then you have yourself a winner. Those are pretty rare in Mustangs and are powerfull. Just the engine parts for those are going for pretty good money on E-BAY. They sound so sweet when the quadrajet opens compared to the 302 in our other one. Make sure you check the block, freeze plugs, and manifolds for cracks just in case it froze.
    Have you asked the marina what they need for it? To them its probably junk and might not want much for it, especially if they are not familiar with those boats. Like what was mentioned about offering $1000.OO, You could strip it and sell off the parts and probably double your money if its not totally junk. I get more compliments on how slick and sporty they look and sound.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2005 at 12:31am
    Also, might want to double check the hull and see if its been patched or hit. I am wondering why the original aluminum rub rail was replaced with a rope style.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2005 at 1:17am
The hull doesn't look like it was ever hit, but some of the gel coat has cracked and fallen off. I got a better look at the inside today and it has a pretty decent looking interior. I got the hull number today - it's CTC00166M74 H-17MS. Is there any way to look this up the way you can VINs?

I'm going to make them an offer tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2005 at 1:24am
Did you get a chance to see what it had for power?
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2005 at 1:30am
Nope. The marina was already closed and I was worried about getting arrested poking around the boat! I'll check on it in the morning.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2005 at 11:42pm
I took the cover off today and looked at the motor. It's a 302 with 380 hours (assuming the hour gauge isn't broken). The boat actually looks like the only thing that ever happened to it was neglect. The stringers and engine look good (doesn't look like it ever froze). It will need a new starter, alternator, water pump, and exhaust hoses just to get it running.

The marina seems like they really just want it off their lot. I'm going to offer them $500 on Friday and I bet they take it.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2005 at 11:35pm
I will tell you if you can get it for $500, you stole it!! The hour meter is probably ok and with that little time on it there will definately be some good parts on it. Why cant I ever get that lucky????
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2005 at 12:49am
We'll see how lucky I am tomorrow. Hopefully it won't take a long time for the marina to get the title work done.

Where do you get parts for your mustangs? This boat is definitely going to need everything electrical (on the motor) replaced, as well as the exhaust hose and water pump.

Also, do you know how to look up info about the motor from the serial number? How can I find out how much HP this motor is supposed to have. It has a two barrel Holley on it now.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2005 at 1:29am
Really, a 2 barrel? That is weird. Someone may have played with it. Most had the PCM Ford 302 220 hp with a 4 barrel. PCM did make the same engine with a 2 barrel carb. There should be a metal tag rivited on it somewhere giving you the engine conversion company. There should be a model # on it. Check the prop and see if its a right hand (RH)and what the pitch is. The boats with the 302 220 hp used a federal/michigan 12x14RH. All that I know of were right hand rotation. Wondering if someone messes with the engine?? Maybe its a old 289. Whats wrong with the wiring? Has it been monkeyed with?? If the engine is a PCM 302, I would definately get a 4 barrel carb for it. But for 500 dollars, its still a steal! Also theres nothing more rewarding than driving a boat that you have rebuilt!!
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2005 at 9:17pm
Here's an update for interested parties - I offered the marina $400 for it. They're going to talk it over - it's kind of complicated because they don't have the title. They really want to get rid of it, but don't want to go through the hassel of a mechanics lien. I offered to do all the paperwork for them, and they have softened a bit. I think it's going to work out, but I won't know until Monday or Tuesday.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swamp demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2005 at 10:41pm
Glad to hear your moving forward on this.I just got back from Indy this afternoon sorry I didn't get your msg yesterday. We could of checked it out. Our 74 had a wakashaw which later became PCM. I believe this boat would have 185-190 HP w/2 bbl carb.
Clear Lake,Indiana
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2005 at 12:38am
Don't worry about. I'm really excited to have a shot at a correct craft.

If I put a 4 bbl carb on it will I then get 215 HP out of it?

Also, I got some history on the boat. According to the guys at the marina, there was nothing wrong with the boat when it went into storage in '99. If this deal works out, I'm going to wind up with one sweet boat!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2005 at 1:37am
SWAMP DEMON is right on about the engine, and yes, drop a 4160 holley (OEM) on it and you will have 220 hp. I was real happy the way the 302/4 in the 76 went. In order to make a huge difference in power (throttle response-quick) you must advance the timing to 18 or so degrees at idle, and run 93 octane gas, and the boat will ROCK!   
65mustang View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2005 at 1:51pm
I picked up my 65 Mustang project (had engine fire) for a 12pack of Becks. you could try that.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2005 at 10:41pm
I think I might have to. It certainly might make the marina guys more friendly!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2005 at 11:48pm
Interested on what happened with the marina. You have any luck???
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic