NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

leading edge

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
goldenrigley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldenrigley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leading edge
    Posted: February-12-2010 at 1:06am

Can somebody tell me what they call the chrome plated piece that is on the leading edge on the bow of Centuries and Chris Crafts? I'd like to ad one to my Tournament Skier but I don't know what I am looking for.
Thanks
Jim
Jim in WI
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2010 at 1:11am
cutwater
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2010 at 9:11am
Jim,
They never had cutwaters so you won't find one. You would need to have one custom made. Are you trying to cover something up? If the stem is bad, the cutwater will not fix the problem.

How about the pictures??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldenrigley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2010 at 2:20pm
Brain, the stem is good but the edge just looks a little rough with light nicks etc. I always admired chrome cutwaters and thought one would look neat. I bought the boat in Virgina and put it in storage there so I can't offer any pics yet. I plan to pick it up in March on my way home from Florida. Can't wait to really get into it!
I have another question you may be able to help me with. The boat has a foot throttle. I see no indication that the throttle was ever anything else. Is that correct.
Jim in WI
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2010 at 3:56pm
Jim,
When you get the boat, take a close look at the stem. If the nicks are large, consider putting new wood there. There is a seperate piece of wood called a "stem cap" that covers the leading edge of the ply. The best time to replace it would be when the hull sides/bottom are refinished. Does it need it? I'd also like to mention that everything you do to the boat, that isn't original as it came from the factory, will decrease it value/salability.

Yes, I'd say the foot throttle is the way the boat came. Very popular in that era. I don't think you ever mentioned the engine. What's in it? Trans may be a manual with the shift lever through the floor. If hydraulic, the shift would be on the dash.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2010 at 8:29pm
Pete,    I think Jim just wants a Cutwater.   He probably was aware that his didn't come with one.

They are out there, looking in Century parts would be a place to start.

By being an Advocate of all original, is decreasing the value of your own.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2010 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

He probably was aware that his didn't come with one.

Maybe yes or maybe no? Remember Jim really didn't know what wheel would be Appropriate.

They are out there, looking in Century parts would be a place to start.

Al,
I don't waht to sound like a jerk here but I also don't want Jim to be mislead. What makes you think a cutwater from any other boat would fit his boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2010 at 9:33pm
I've restored many. Bow stems are very similar, Resorter to Tournament Skier.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2010 at 9:50pm
DrCC, have to agree with the Pete man on that one. There is no way to easily take a generic cutwater,one piece, and make it look like it came on that boat.
You can tho modify a two piece , the type my Dart has,by changing the radius to align with the Stem.But then the screw holes all have to be re drilled.
May be easiest to start from scratch ,Monel or Stainless sheet.A template for the radius and access to a band saw .Add to that a Sat. afternoonto polish and dress,I think would give the desired results.
I remember the time it took to properly align and square all 4 pieces on mine ,spray rails intersect,to look correct.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2010 at 10:44am

I've restored many. Bow stems are very similar, Resorter to Tournament Skier.

Al,
Similar yes but exact no. Any minor angular difference on the hull sides or radius difference on the stem and it will not fit. I guess you could pound it on and then suck the wrinkles out of the trailing edge with the screws then live with the buckling. Even the minor changes from a re planking and the original cutwaters don't like to go back on the same boat!

Restorations - any ACBS judged winners?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldenrigley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2010 at 11:12am
Ok, you guys talked me out of the cutwater. The engine is a 327 Fireball 4bbl and the shifter is on the steering column.
Jim in WI
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2010 at 3:16pm
Jim,
What's the overall condition of the Tournament?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldenrigley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2010 at 3:32am
I would say it is in very good condition. Only extra cleats are to hang fenders. No extra holes in dash or anywhere else. If anything, the top deck has a couple spots (at joints) that could use refinishing. The hull is painted red, the seat cushions are brown, the shifter knob is from a 4sp car. there are chrome brackets to support the battens for a mooring cover, and I think the steering wheel may be aftermarket. There is a bilge pump that may be aftermarket also. It also has a pair of trumpet horns on the deck??? The exhaust tips are brass, but not chrome.
It also has a fire extinguisher mounted near driver's seat. I don't like the combo bunk/tilt tailer so I will be looking for a different trailer. Oh, it also has a bow eye and snaps along the top of the windshield. That's about it as I remember.
Jim in WI
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2010 at 12:55am
Originally posted by goldenrigley goldenrigley wrote:

Ok, you guys talked me out of the cutwater. The engine is a 327 Fireball 4bbl and the shifter is on the steering column.

Your Gray has a 4bbl? Would love to see pics! Is that the 238 horse?...

Heres a pic of my Fireball 188, with twin Carter YH carbs. Im putting it in my 62 Higgins...

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldenrigley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2010 at 1:13am

Yes, it has a 4 bbl. 238 hp. The motor box was modified at the factory to accomadate the carb. I'll post some pictures when I get it out of storage.
Jim in WI
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2010 at 11:35am
Jim,
I know CC on some models would build a small box on top of the original dog house to accommodate the taller engine/carb. Did they do this with yours or is the complete dog house taller? I'm anxious and guess I can't wait for your pictures!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldenrigley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 2:53am

It has the little addition on top of the standard motor box. It is open on each side making the carb visible. Talk about cold air induction.lol
Jim in WI
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic