NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is it worth

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
W.U.S.S. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.U.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is it worth
    Posted: January-23-2010 at 6:59pm
I came across a Correct Craft I am not very familiar with, a 1969 Skylark. I thought it was interesting because the steering wheel was on the left hand side of the boat.

The boat is sitting in a field behind someones house. I called him to see if he might be interested in selling it.

He was not an avid boater, and no interest in CC's or there history. He did say the boat ran, but he has never had it in the water. He purchased it with the intention of using it, but he had declining health problems.

He gave me a price, I was a little shocked! What do you think this boat is worth?

Aftermarket trailer, no cover, average interior for being uncovered in the weather for a year. possible runs with a V6 buick motor in it.

I don't mind putting a little work into it. I thought it might be a fun project for my son and I to work on together.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2010 at 7:09pm
Wuss,
   Price?      Good shocking or bad shocking?

Be carefull, Guys have told me: (It Runs!!!)   But what they left out was the year it actually ran in.

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2010 at 10:17pm
It is worth as much as you are willing to pay. Cool boat, there are a few around .Ask his bottom dollar and show up with halve in cash.If you can steal it buy it.........
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 9:11am
I like the Boat Dr's meathod unless he wants way too much to start with.

Also, if it's been outside for a year and unless it was in a warm climate, I'd be looking to see if it was winterized.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 11:00am
Don't forget to check out the stringers too!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
W.U.S.S. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.U.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 1:50pm
I guess it ran last year, spring of 09'. He did nto know much about boats, but he had a neighbor come over to run it. They hooked up a garden hose to it and ran it in the driveway. As for winterizing, he "beleived" his neighbor ran antifreeze in it. I plan on pulling a couple of drain plugs to see if there was actually antifreeze in it. As for the price...How does $400.00 sound?

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 2:06pm
Buy that boat now. At 400, even if you sell parts, you will make money. Once put back together, I would guess, the boat would sell for $3500 to 8K, depending upon how nice, and how original. Even if you had to rebuild engine, stringers and upholstery, I would think you could break even on materials. Of course, you'll lose on your labor, but you said you were looking for a project for you and your son, and you can't put a price on that.

My $.02. BKH
Livin' the Dream

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 2:11pm
attention wallmart shoppers...lol,
every town should have a charities donation center, its a place where you donate your car or boat for a right off. i have purchased many cars and have guided many people to boats they also have there. if you know of any of these donation places, go check them out...there may be an old seperator sittng in the corner collecting dust and value.
one that sticks out in my mind is i purchased a Mercury villager for 900 bucks there and about 2 months later a kid hit me head on and totaled the van (i didnt get hurt except my knee hit the dash and it was slow enough that the bags didnt go off) anyways i got a check for 6400.00 for the van and an extra 500.00 for pain and suffering. i was just surprised because of the amount i recieved.
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 2:18pm
$400 is probably a fair price for the boat based on the non-original trailer and the questionable condition of the boat and engine.

If your intent is to restore it and sell it afterwards, dont expect to make money on it. You may be able to break even on the cost of parts and material after putting all your (free) labor into it though. I agree that you could part it out as-is for a profit, though. As a father/son project for a minimal investment, its a winner for sure. Go get it.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 2:24pm
I'd post some pics.
If there's not much in the Original parts dept.,   400 might be pushing the envelope.

Whats the address of the place where a Skylark is worth 8000?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 6:04pm
Dr. CC. I see old mustangs, sklyarks, etc. for 3000-5000 frequently.
8K is the highest I've seen on an old mustang, and, based upon the photos, it looked to be in very, very good condition. I don't know that it was worth that, and I dont know that I'd pay that, but that is what I saw it sell for. BKH
Livin' the Dream

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 6:31pm
Is that the reason Hollywood says:    "Check out these nuts"

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic