Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust Manifold bolts

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust Manifold bolts
    Posted: May-01-2005 at 1:25am
Dunlap is where I learned to ski some 25 years ago. There have been three floods since then and the hazards have changed locations a few times. Most of them are maked now (until the next flood). The stumps aren't the only problems, there's a concrete waterfront sitting out in water where there used to be a salom course, there's a sandbar where there used to be a ski jump and it's shallow in some places that weren't shallow before.

Our new house is up in the narrow part of the river. It's great to ski up there on weekday mornings--the water is like glass. There are a lot of wakeboarders churning it up on the weekends! But our house is protected by a small island (those big wakes reek havoc on the water fronts).
Anyway, I got some new bolts and I'm going to put them on Sunday morning, then spend the afternoon playing. I went with the gold irradium bolts (or some maketing word) with the allen wrench head. The deminsions (for the Commander 351-- with the header type manifold) are 3/8" dia, 16 threads/inch and 1" long. Next project, the wiring (dash and engine).
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2005 at 12:26pm
Great ski lake unless the boarders are now churning it up

Just watch out for the tree stumps
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2005 at 1:14am
Lake Dunlap. I grew up I couple of miles down river from where we're moving. My wife's grandparents had a house on the other side of the lake (HWY 46 side--Highway from I-10 to New Braunfels). We're living above Landa Park now. Our new house is pretty close to town, not far past the public boat ramp. I suspect we can tube the Comal River, stay in until it joins the Guadalupe and end up at the dock in about three hours. Then have a little lunch and go skiing. However I'm not looking forward to packing and moving -- any volunteers?
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2005 at 12:40am
dunlap?
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2005 at 10:47pm
Good for you. New Braunfels is a very nice town. (And a beautiful area.) Are you on Canyon Lake?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2005 at 9:31pm
Well, I didn't make it as far South as Kema (was in the Medical Center and U of H area). The West Marine on IH, just West of 610 seems to have closed down. The letters where missing from the building but you could still see the outline. I didn't stop. Anyway, I'll check the local hardware store in MY favorite town--New Braunfels! My wife and I are closing in May on a great house on the lake with an electric boat lift. I can't wait!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2005 at 3:38pm
In that case let me say that I manage to throw back a few and appluad the sunsets at the Oasis every now and then. Austin is my #2 favorite city. My son went to UT and still lives there. He likes my '66 as when it was repainted the paint mix was incorrect for red and the deck and side stripe are, accidentally, an almost exact UT Burnt Orange. (Almost the color of the left side bar on this forum.) He keeps asking me to bring it to Lake Austin - he thinks we'll get free beer.

All this is probably in the wrong thread but, who cares?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2005 at 2:36pm
I now "dock" in Austin (since '83 or so). My family is still in Houston and I get down there every now and then. The establishments do not ring a bell, but I bet are fun places to have a beer. Kemah is one of my favorite places on the bay.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2005 at 2:21pm
Hey David, where do you now "dock"? Have you ever thrown back a cold one at Boondogles or T-Bone Tom's?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2005 at 12:35pm
Jim:

You know I am originally from Houston and used to sail with a buddy of mine in the Kemah area for years. We (well really he...I crewed for him) raced Solings (sp) out of the Texas Corinthian Yacht Club. I think I have been to the Kemah Hardware store many times. Anyway, another great marine store in House is Boat US (I am a card carrying member still). For the exhaust manifold bolts, they can probably be found at Lowes in one of the specialty bolt drawers. They carry all sorts of stainless cap screws, etc.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2005 at 1:20am
Jimbo,

If you are near Clear Lake go to Kemah Hardware on Hwy 146 near the Kemah bridge. They cater to the marine community and sell at a much lower price than West Marine.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2005 at 12:57am
I went to Autozone but all they had were some gold plated hex-head studs for Chevy engines. I'm going to Houston tomorrow and will check at West Marine or any Performance Shop I happen to drive by. If not, I'll go to Hennie Hardware when I get back home.
James
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2005 at 8:25pm
I agree with all of the above. Grade 5 are not nesessary. I buy them out of habit to make sure I am not getting some ungraded cheap import knock-off. Waste of money? Maybe, but I doubt it. But do go with the stainless if they are available. Ya'll pardon me, I have to run out to my boat and see if the heads on my bolts have shrunk.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2005 at 7:18pm
Jimbo, I have bought sets of "header bolts" from the performance section of the local auto parts stores - I think "Mr. Gasket" brand. They are exactly like the ones you described above (5/16" bolts with 7/16" standard hex head). The ones at the hardware store will probably have a larger head (1/2" or 9/16") which could be a space problem (depending on your manifolds). I would agree that the allen-head cap screws are the best if your manifolds allow clearance and they should be available at the hardware store. Anyone else care to beat this dead horse?
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2005 at 6:43pm
Like 79nautique said, you don't need high grade bolts, you don't torque the exhaust bolts very high, I think mine are 15 to 18 ft. lbs. and just a dab of antiseize on the threads.
Tim D
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2005 at 4:19pm
You can use socket head cap screws or hex head screws. If you buy a bolt kit from PCM you will get cap screws and not hex head screws. also there is no need for grade 5 or high bolts just a waste of money. Go to your local hardware store and buy 7/16 x 14 by 1.25 long stainless steel socket head cap screws and 7/16 stainless steellock washer and be done with it.

The cap screws will hold up better and are easier to work with. The heat from the exhaust will cause the screw head to shrink over time and the effects are a lot more noticable on the hex than the cap screw.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2005 at 3:14pm
Well, I just searched the Summit Racing web site and bolts kits for exhaust manifold did not pop up and complete bolt kits are too expensive.

I would purchase stainless steel bolts and lock washers from a local hardware store. If those are not available use a Grade 5 bolt with lock washer (and lots of anti-seize). Also, I would use only Fel-Pro marine gaskets. (Everyone on the forum will probably agree with me on that.)

Some manifolds may require the use of a bolt other than a hex-head type because of space problems. Yours? I dunno. I use hex-head bolts whenever possible just because I have tools to fit them.

I cannot imagine why your heads would have different size bolts in them. Do not use metric bolts. They may be close enough to seem to be the same size but they are not.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2005 at 9:57am
Summit Racing sells stainless steel bolt kits for all popular engines. I would use their exhaust manifold bolts. If you do buy theirs check the length and diameter against yours before your install them.

http://www.summitracing.com/
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2005 at 4:27am
I changed the exhaust gasket due to a leak on one side of the motor. The side I changed had regular 7/16" head bolts about 1-1/4" long. The other side had hex-head or allen wrench type bolts that were either 8 mm or 5/16" (both seemed to fit equally well). I didn't take those out. The ones I removed were rusted pretty badly on the heads but thankfully the previous owner used anti-sieze and they came out nicely.

I want to replace the bolts. Should I use just regular bolts from the hardware store or are there special bolts I should get? Should I go with the hex-head type or stick with the conventional ones?
Thanks!
James
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic