Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do I need a second battery?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do I need a second battery?
    Posted: April-19-2005 at 4:10pm
I have this ongoing issue or not an issue...

92 SNOB, the battery compartment only fits the low profile battery, so I am limited on AMPS, I believe.

I have two amps, a CD deck and a Sirus Sat. I am not sure, but i think over time, all this equipment may have destroyed my battery. I bought a new battery, and everything seems fine. The old battery was fairly new.

Here is my question....    Would a bigger alternator help in charging the battery and keep in charged. I'm thinking that the draw going on is pulling the battery down to far, and the Alternator is not charging the battery enough for the draw of amps.

I have a meter... do i run the engine, turn everything and check the AMPS that I am drawing and go from there? If so, off the ALT or the battery?

Thanks much!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 7:17pm
I am going to assume you have a volt meter in a '92 SNOB. So, what does it read with all accessories turned on after an hour or so of boating? Remember that the volt meter basically justs tells you the condition of your battery or how many volts the battery is putting out. With a healthy alternator, you should be reading about 13.5-14 volts at all times. If the reading starts out in this range (fully charged battery) and then drops below 13.5 volts or so, then you are drawing more current than the alternator can supply and you are discharging your battery.

If you had an AMP meter, this would be easier to figure out as the meter would be below center if the current draw was higher than the alternator could put out.

So, to me, AMP meters tell you real time status of your charging system. However, the drawback is that it requires a heavy guage wire to the meter which is directly connected and inline (wired in series) with your charging system. In other words, a weak link that can cause electrical fires. Conversly, volt meters just measure the condition of the battery and only require a small wire (wired in parrallel).

Sorry got wordy...what were you asking? Oh yea...you probably just got a battery that crapped out quickly. Remember that deep cycling "starting" batteries shortens their life span significantly.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 7:26pm
So when I see another boat like mine with a second battery, what benifit do i get out of it?

Does this mean I can run longer on Battery when have a couple beers after skiing parked at the beach?

Or does having a stronger alternator mean that it will keep all the electronics in the boat preforming top notch. (and not draining the battery)

What I see, I think... correct me if I am wrong... that if I pull more amps then my ALT can put out, it will run down my battery. Which would mean, I would need a bigger ALT.

So basically my options are

- I had a crappy battery, leave everything and see
- get a bigger ALT
- Get a second battery

Thanks for the replies!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 7:38pm
Yes, you got it exactly right (IMHO)! The main benefit to a second battery is you will not get stranded from a dead battery. Just move a selector switch from A to B and presto you have a good battery to start your engine and get you home (assuming dead alternator got you into this predicament or playing the stereo too long).
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 7:40pm
But will changing out my current ALT to a larger ALT give me any benifits?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 7:47pm
Sure. You will charge your battery better/faster at idle with all the high power requirement accessories turned on. You can definately draw more power at idle than some alternators can put out when you have several added accesories all turned on at once.

Don't forget that high output alternators require more HP to turn them.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 11:33am
There may be a chance of noise in the stereo with a larger alternator.
Tim D
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 12:51pm
Are you using a deep cycle or starting type of battery? If it is deep cycle does it have at least 650 CCA?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic