Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat lift question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BigBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat lift question
    Posted: October-22-2008 at 10:03pm
Hey everyone,

We just had a lift built for our boat house and we didn't specify what kind of lift we were interested in so the guy that built it installed a lift with rings to hoist the boat up and store it using the lift rings on the bow and stern. Is this an ok way to store the boat or will it put too much stress on the rings and hull? Are bunk lifts better for the boat? Oh it is a 1987 SN 2001. Any guidance here would be very much appreciated. The other boat we have has always been stored on bunks and I just assumed that is how this one would be built too.

Thanks,
Brian
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 10:40pm
Brien,
Your guy who put the hoist in knew what he was doing. You'll be very happy with having a lift utilizing the lifting rings. That's what they are there for!! No screwing around with centering a boat on a stupid bunked cradle.

It's fine to hang the boat for the summer and some will even do the same for winter storage but I do set my boats down onto beams set across the slip keeping a small load on the lifting rings. The 2 built up beams with the rope handles (makes them easy to move around the boat house) are what I use across the slip. The two on the right are ones I built up to spread the 2 hoist loads across the second floor floor joists.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 10:41pm
No problem using the lifting rings, that is what they are for, hence the name.
BigBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 11:18pm
Hey guys. Thanks for the replies. This is my first boat and my parents have always had theirs on a lift with a bunked cradle so I'm rather ignorant to anything else I'm afraid. But thanks again for the replies they are very reassuring and hopefully I'll get to take it down to our lake house this weekend and put her in the water for the first time since I've owned it.
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2008 at 8:36pm
I have a freind who built his boat house with the exact same set up. Works great year round for him, including winter lay ups, no complaints.
lonestar
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2008 at 9:08am
Lifting straps on a hoist in a boathouse actually preceded the lifting eyes on boats. The lifting eyes started in the late teens and by the mid 20's were pretty standard on all boats. People found out how convenient the eyes were!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BigBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 2:58am
Well after scrubbing old registration numbers off and applying the new ones, we put the boat in the water this weekend and even had a little time left in the day to take it out for the first drive besides the test drive. And you guys are certainly correct. Puting it in the boat house and raising it with the lift rings is a breeze compared to the bunked cradle I was used to. Getting the boat to the lake house, which is about an hour away from where we live, was a task. We had a tire on the trailer lose it's tread on the way down, so we had to call a tire service after hours to come and replace the tire on the side of the interstate and the price tag on that service hurts. So it is a great relief to finally have it down there at it's home.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 12:58pm
I used to lift my boat with the rings. Here is my conclusion:

1. Hooking the bow ring up is a pain and will wear down your bow going up there all of the time.

2. You need to hold some tension on the hook or it can slide sideways and bend the lifting ring.

3. I think that if you have any rot in your stringers using the lifting rings will compound your problem.

4. You need to check your alignment after it has hung for a week or so because the boat does flex.

Tim

BigBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 3:33pm
Tim,

Thank you for the advice. I don't have to get on the bow to hook up the ring with the way our boat house is set up so that's good. I'll hopefully be down there this coming weekend and that way I can check out the alignment.

-Brian
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by BigBM BigBM wrote:

Tim,

Thank you for the advice. I don't have to get on the bow to hook up the ring with the way our boat house is set up so that's good. I'll hopefully be down there this coming weekend and that way I can check out the alignment.

-Brian

Another thought... I would get some bungee material and set it up so the hook gets hooked with tension on the bungee....and lifts with the lift cable.

Tim

Jetski180 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetski180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 5:20pm
My Dad and I built a Cradle for our boat lift with some Galvinized I-Beams that are used for road barricides. Our old boat we use to hang from the lifting rings but I have found the a Cradle is a much better way to go for the following Reasons:
1. The boat rest the same as it does on the trailer.
2. If you have a boat with only 1 lifting eye on the back you are able to get into the boat with out the boat moving.
3. You are able to put the cover on the boat after the boat is completly dry and have it cover the complete front of the boat, swim platform, and go down past the water line on the sides.
4. It is faster and easer to put the boat on the cradle then hook up the lifting rings even with one person.
5. You don't have to worry about the adjusting the cables because they are always tight and do not twist.

The only drawback that I have found is if you do not have deep water below the boat you would not be able to use a cradle.

Let me know if you would like me to post some pictures. Enjoy your Nautique!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 8:28pm
Brian,
In case you are worried about Tim's (behindthepropeller) concern about hanging a hull and possible hull distortion causing alignment issues, it's thoughtful but unfounded. Thousands of boats hang without problems. As one example, the boat pictured has hung for 30 some years and the alignment is fine (and the stringers condition is questionable!). I hang mine! Reid hangs his! (Reid, how often do you check the alignment? - never mind - you R&R your engines so frequently it's not needed!!)

Tim,
I don't need to get on my deck ether. How wide is your boat slip? You can't reach the bow or stern eye from the pier? If your hoist hook is catching sideways on the lifting eye, then you are lowering the hook/hoist too much.

Jeff,
Covering the boat is a nice attempt to keep it clean but does your boathouse roof leak? Do you cover your cars when you put them in the garage? Keeping the boat uncovered while it's in the boathouse will help to keep it dry and mildew free.

I question the ease and speed (as stated previously) of getting the boat centered on the cradle VS. just snapping on the lift hooks. I have a cradled lift too and prefer the boathouse. Correction: I do have to close the boathouse door so it may take longer.

Why do you have to adjust the cables? BTW, twisting cables is a sign that the wrong type is being used. There are over 20 different "weaves" of cable and each has a specific use.

Brien,
Put some ropes with eyelets on the ends to hook the hoist hooks on. Fasten the other end to the boathouse wall. This will pull them out of the way of the boat when they aren't hooked to the boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jetski180 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetski180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 9:11pm
The reason that I cover my boat is because if I don't then it will be sun bleached. I have an open boat dock and I have a neighbor that has the same boat that has never been covered and it looks to be 20 years older then mine does. For the cables. I didn't mean so much as the cable twists but if there isn't tension on the cable it will get twisted and lay on top of it self on the pipe of the lift. If I had a completely enclosed boat dock I wouldn't cover it "just like a car"
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 9:13pm
Brian
The photo above is my boat and its home has always been in that boathouse, summer and winter. When I winterize I have a set of beams similar to the ones Pete showed above I block the boat up on the beams, but keep the chain falls connected so as to spread the load between the falls and the beams. Once I run it for the first time in the spring it hangs on the falls till I winterize again. Years ago I bought a cheap mooring cover and cut two small slits for the lifting eyes to pop thru I use the cover to keep the bat poop off the boat. This fall for the first time I winterized the boat , and am storing it, on Pete B's Tique trailer in another friends garage as we are replacing piling and decking under our boathouse and needed it to be empty. I have never had any noticeable alignment issues and or signs that the boat is deformed from hanging. Tim is correct that you have to pay attention when raising the falls as you can skew the hooks under the elongated lifting eyes
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Jetski180 Jetski180 wrote:

The reason that I cover my boat is because if I don't then it will be sun bleached. I have an open boat dock and I have a neighbor that has the same boat that has never been covered and it looks to be 20 years older then mine does. For the cables. I didn't mean so much as the cable twists but if there isn't tension on the cable it will get twisted and lay on top of it self on the pipe of the lift. If I had a completely enclosed boat dock I wouldn't cover it "just like a car"

Jeff,
Now I understand that you have a open lift. Sorry but we were talking boathouses.

Yes, the less expensive (doozie) type lifts that use a 2" galvanized pipe as a cable sheave can be a problem. I really wouldn't consider using one in ether a two point lift to the lifting eyes or the four point to a cradle. The cabling manufacturers don't like to see their cables wound around such a small diameter no mater what the weave is.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 11:19pm
We do hang our from the eyes and have for some time. I just love the simplicity. As for needing to adjust the cable winding on the pipe, you really need a correctly weighted "headache ball" on the cable 18-24" above the hook to maintain tension. Even still with ours, someone from time to time will lift the cable above the weight necessitating a quick adjustment. Our weights are high enough to clear the boat windshield and we just clip the hook above the weight ball when the boat is off the hook. While I don't think hardly anyone will debate that bunks might ultimately support the boat better, these boats are indeed designed with hanging from the hooks an acceptable method. As for speed of hook-up and lifting, our system is rather quick and easy. One other aspect I like about our eye-lift setup is that there's nothing left in the water when the boat is out, leaving the boat slip space open to swimmers and other boats. We call ours a boat "house" but we aren't allowed to have sides on any dock structures, so I'd like to cover ours when I'm not too lazy. We suffer from bird and spider crap falling from the rafters and partial sun exposure.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Jetski180 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetski180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2008 at 1:51pm
Thanks for all of your imput. I would also agree that having a cradle with bunks supports the boat better. I also know that hanging a boat from the lifting eyes isn't a problem at all. Our previous boat was hung from the eyes for 20 years. No problems, but after hanging for a while the front window wouldn't close corretly because the boat became an inch or so wider. (not a nautique, a IO) Over all still would perfer the cradle. Like how you just have to lower the boat start it and drive away, not have to mess with any cables or hooks or "headache balls" but to each his own on what they perfer. Just like I would rather drive a manual car and others would drive an automatic.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic