NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PROP CAME OFF AND SANK

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
abolton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PROP CAME OFF AND SANK
    Posted: June-30-2008 at 1:37am
Ok this sucks; My #2 son hit reverse going 25mph and the prop spun off the shaft?

I can only wonder what else? The tranny is working; so far, but the prop is gone.

I have a 78SN with the 351W 1:1 tranny, we tube and wake board. Need suggestions on what prop to buy, where, or maybe one of you guy's have an one for cheap?
ABE
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 2:14am
Paul Waters has a Federal 13X13 in the parts for sale section....that one will do just fine for ya at a good price.....make sure you put the cotter pin behind the nut so ya won't loose another one!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 2:15am
Sorry to hear of your problem. Never dropped a prop, but, I did drop a rudder off of an '87 Martinique because I forgot to put the safety wire on the bolt that holds the rudder on, and it vibrated out. Not a good day!!!

On your prop, my '76 Southwind has a 13"X13"X 1" diameter shaft. Not sure if your SN would take the same size or not. I could use a spare one myself. The guys at Discount Inboard Marine suggested going with a nylon-lined locking type nut vs. a castle nut. Supposedly much harder to back off in case the clip comes out of the shaft with the castle nut. Thats what I am running right now. No issues yet. You may want to give them a call on the prop they would recommend as well. I would be interested in hearing what they recommend, and the cost.

Dave
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 2:34am
The 13x13x1 prop is the right prop for a 70's SN.
You can spend a tad over $300.00 plus ship for a new Acme 540 or an OJ...both are great performers! OR...save a few dollars and buy the one Paul has for $150.00. Of course you are needing a new nut...I still like the old castle nuts with a stainless cotter pin...never lost a prop....dinged hell out of a few
stang

The Super Air

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 7:56am
Abe, When you get the new prop, make sure it's installed correctly on the shaft and fully seated on the taper. It's not a bad idea to check the taper to the new prop with machinest blue and then lap if needed. A prop should only come off with a puller. Also do NOT put a stainless nut on the stainless shaft. You want to go with a brass. With the stainless to stainless you take the chance of galling the threads and locking up the nut to the shaft. I had to cut one of mine off last year due to the PO using a stainless. If you need any help with the install procedure, we're here! Also, the other day I was looking for some reference back up for NOT putting any lubricant on the taper. Did a on line search and found some very nice detailed instructions on prop installs.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 12:37pm
Start listening for noise from the damper plate, throwing one in reverse is a good way to mess it up.
Tim D
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 1:41pm
Brass nut...stainless cotter!
stang

The Super Air

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

The guys at Discount Inboard Marine suggested going with a nylon-lined locking type nut vs. a castle nut. Supposedly much harder to back off in case the clip comes out of the shaft with the castle nut.

I'm sporting the nylock nut as well- another major bonus of the nylock is that you can snug it up as much as you need to, rather than trying to match up the castle nut to the cotter pin hole.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

I forgot to put the safety wire on the bolt that holds the rudder on, and it vibrated out. Not a good day!!!

Dave

safetu wire???
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 11:41pm
As far as I know, all inboards (or at least the older Correct Crafts) have a piece of stainless steel wire that goes through a hole in the top of the bolt holding the rudder on and also through a nearby clamp bolt. The wire keeps this critical nut from backing off. You should also find the same safety wire on the two bolts holding the shaft inside the transmission coupler. Keeps the bolts from backing out and allowing the shaft to back out.

Dave
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 12:20am

Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I'm sporting the nylock nut as well- another major bonus of the nylock is that you can snug it up as much as you need to

M3, how often do you have to snug it up?
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
abolton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 1:43am
[QUOTE=davidg] As far as I know, all inboards (or at least the older Correct Crafts) have a piece of stainless steel wire that goes through a hole in the top of the bolt holding the rudder on and also through a nearby clamp bolt. The wire keeps this critical nut from backing off. You should also find the same safety wire on the two bolts holding the shaft inside the transmission coupler. Keeps the bolts from backing out and allowing the shaft to back out.

I bet if that happened more than my prop would have sank to the bottom!

I found a 13x13x1 thanks to all of you guy's... I am going to try to get it to me by this 4th of July weekend. Thanks for all your help and I'll hope this is all of my trouble.

ABE
abolton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 11:01pm
Ok, another question; I got the new prop on and the brass nylock nut, but nylock nut covers the cotter pin hole. The old prop must have been on with a castle nut. I like the nylock because you can snug it right up, do I need a cotter pin? Should I drill another hole behind the nylock nut for a cotter pin?
ABE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic