Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

77 Ski Tique prop

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pjarymo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjarymo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 77 Ski Tique prop
    Posted: April-28-2008 at 5:33pm
i am new to this forum and would like some help with propeller options for a '77 ski tique. the current prop on it is marked 12R14. i don't understand propellers very well, being more of an engine person, but i believe this means 12" 14deg. pitch, right hand rotation? the current prop is pretty banged up and needs to be reconditioned or replaced, because it is vibrating quite a bit. i will be taking a look at the boat over the weekend to check for other sources of vibration as well, such as a bent driveshaft, bent strut, worn out strut bearings, or misalignment (is there anything i may have missed?)

my question is, is this the standard type of prop used on ski tiques (Ford 302 engine)? the boat is now mainly used during the summer to pull wakeboarders at a water sports camp (ie. teenage beginners). is this a good size and pitch, or does anyone have other recommendations? it has worked well the past few years in this role, but the top speed is high for wakeboarding (~50mph) and more low speed pulling power would be welcome.
1977 Ski Tique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 5:42pm
I am by no means a prop expert and there are plenty here to help you (Tim??) but I thought I would respond having the same boat and prop. Since I have the 12 X 14 as well on my 76 I would guess that is the factory prop. (the 14 pitch is not degrees but the theoretical distance in inches the prop would travel through 1 spin - the higher the pitch the greater the distance, the greater the top speed but the poorer the hole shot.) I am pleased with the performance. I believe some have tried a 13 by whatever and found it to be a bit risky for how close it is to the hull. I guess you could hunt for a 12 x 12 or 12 x 13 for a little better hole shot, but for your purposes I dont think you need it. I'd say go the inexpensive route and recondition what you have.
pjarymo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjarymo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 8:46pm
thank you
1977 Ski Tique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 9:00pm
Larry is correct that a 12x14 Federal would have been the stock prop. I believe thats whats on my Tique. From what I understand, its not a bad overall prop, though Id like to try an OJ 12x13 instead. Some people are running the Acme 540 or 542 on this hull and love them- they are indeed great skiing props (I have several for my '90 and love the holeshot). Others have said there isnt enough hull clearance for the 13" diameter they have, so the jury is still out on that one. No experience either way myself.

From what Reid tells me, the OJ 12x13 performs comparably to the 12x14 Federal. They do make an OJ 12x12, if Im not mistaken, which would get your revs up for pulling at the expense of top speed. Something to consider.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 10:22pm
Tim, Your mind is slipping!!
the tique and the 540

Paul, I'm one of the people who had bad results with a 13" dia. prop (540) running too close to the hull. Reid P had the same results and I'd love to meet the people Tim has always referred too that "love them" on the hull. Stick with the 12". Look into a OJ. Don't go less than a 13" pitch - it will over rev. The 13 on the hull is fine for the wake boarding.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 1:26pm
Pete, I havent forgotten. You had a bad experience. Others have fared better. Not sure why. Reid's experience with the Acmes was on the earlier pre-71 Mustang hull, if Im not mistaken- so thats apples to oranges.

References to those who run Acmes on your hull with good results:

'72 Skier

Originally posted by 79Tique 79Tique wrote:

Pete,

Sorry to here about the vibration with the Acme. I'm running the 542 on my Tique and it's much smoother than the stock Federal. I did loose a little top end speed but the hole shot while pulling up skiers is worth it.

Are you sure you had a good seat with the prop to shaft? When I first put mine on I had a little vibration, I took it off and put it back on and it was smooth as glass.

Also, dont forget that the 12x14 Federal performs identical to the 12x13 OJ. The next step down in pitch for an OJ prop would be a 12x12.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Also, dont forget that the 12x14 Federal performs identical to the 12x13 OJ. The next step down in pitch for an OJ prop would be a 12x12.

Paul, Tim brought up a good point that yes, I did forget! It gets confusing but basicly because of the prop blade area on the OJ's and the Acme's, their props with 1" less pitch compared to a standard Federal or Michigan perform the same. So, to correct myself, if you get a OJ, don't go less than a 12" pitch. A standard Federal or Michigan would be the 13"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 1:49pm
It may even be more than that. I replaced a 13x14 Federal on my brothers Century with a 13x12 Acme and picked up top end, acceleration and the rpms stayed about the same.
pjarymo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjarymo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 10:58pm
thank you for all the replies. i think i will start by having the 12x14 prop refurbished, then look into picking up a new one and having the current one as a spare. i checked a few online parts suppliers and the OJ website, but none of them list a 12x12 prop. could this have been discontinued, or would this possibly be a special order item?
1977 Ski Tique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 1:06pm
Paul, I may have mispoken- looking back I dont see a 12x12 OJ either.

http://www.ojprops.com/site/sizes.htm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic