NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

water behind a stringer

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 16>
Author
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2009 at 10:45pm
Barbara and I have done this to various parts of our home as we remodeled over the years. A picture in the wall, a piece of hospital green plastic tile in the closet frame, etc.
The pennies were because at the beginning of this thread I mentioned I had found a 1975 penny between the foam and the exhaust when I opened it up. Telling me someone had done something in there at some point after it was built.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2009 at 10:26am
Mike:

That's a nice touch. I'm inspired to do something similar. I thought of printing my thread and laminating it, then pouring it into the foam. Perhaps you may do the same. If i review your quality of work, i can imagine some bloke dusting of your hull in sedimentary rock in 3033 and it appearing on some documentary.

My daughter comes home from neo natal tomorrow. Mrs Naut came home last weekend. I've put in a weeks leave next week so i'll be able to get back to the ski naut resto while being around to support her. Mrs Naut is encouraging it too. My son wants to have his 6th birthday to be a nautique party at the lake with his mates during April. I would need to pull finger to make the deadline.
1982 SN 2001 RIP (Resto in Progress)

Don's Diary

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2009 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by nautiless nautiless wrote:

I thought of printing my thread and laminating it, then pouring it into the foam. Perhaps you may do the same. If i review your quality of work, i can imagine some bloke dusting of your hull in sedimentary rock in 3033 and it appearing on some documentary

I like that idea too. But it owuld have to be incomplete, right? That dude in 3033 is going to be scratching his head a bit...

Congrats on your baby girl coming home !! Everything ok? Just a little early?

edit: I do not get why quoted segments do this sometimes....

edit# 2:   OK, now i get it....
Mike N

1968 Mustang

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2009 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

Originally posted by nautiless nautiless wrote:

I thought of printing my thread and laminating it, then pouring it into the foam. Perhaps you may do the same. If i review your quality of work, i can imagine some bloke dusting of your hull in sedimentary rock in 3033 and it appearing on some documentary

I like that idea too. But it owuld have to be incomplete, right? That dude in 3033 is going to be scratching his head a bit...

Congrats on your baby girl coming home !! Everything ok? Just a little early?

edit: I do not get why quoted segments do this sometimes....

Your close quote was missing a forward slash.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2009 at 12:23pm
That is a good idea. People always like finding stuff like that in an old house.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2009 at 12:32pm
Thanks Greg, i will watch that.

I did get the bow floor sealed down last night. I hope to be done with the dash today or, worst case tomorrow night. We think it is going to look really good. I have the side carpet cutout and fit, I just need to be done painting to put it in. I have mounting the heater nearly figured out. The sub mount is put down in the front under the floor, but accessible.

I am putting the motor back in tomorrow !!!

Seriously exciting item to check off the list.

It is bitch ass cold out this morning. -20.....   I am so sick of this I cannot even tell you.

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2009 at 12:36pm
-20 degrees?!!?   Yikes!

You're right at the fun part...best of fortune to you!   
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2009 at 5:35pm
I just got a call from my brother. My engine is going back in TODAY!!!

Later.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 2:57am
Wow. The engine is back in the boat and aligned as best I can imagine on the trailer. It took a good couple hours of messing around to get it where we wanted it. Coupling slid together and was .001 to .002 and rotates smoothly. Huge props to my brother Joe for his help with this part. He thought this was a cakewalk as he does a few a month in cars and trucks. I took photos but have suddenly misplaced the camera.

Hallelujah. What a great feeling.

I will put in my side floor boards tomorrow, carpet the sides, get everything hooked back up, install the bilge pump and blower, and a few other odds and ends.
We will get the rear boards and exhaust hooked up mid week.
I still do not think I will make my target completion date of Feb 4th, but I will not be far behind after I get back from vaca.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 1:11pm
Found the camera.

Dropped in and bolted down:

Nearly dead on at 12*

My new, awesome, non-original valve covers.
Billy, this is just bling, I still have all the "GO" in the alleged 502 Super Air.

Eric, one extremely tasty beer added to the tally.

M
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 1:29pm
There's no feeling like success! Well...maybe 1...

I hope to share that big smile in a few hours!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 1:34pm
^^ ha ^^

Yesterday, shortly after completing this phase, I was contemplating what I would say about it here. And what I had come up with was that this had to be the second best feeling EVER.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 2:13pm
Ha yourself! And may your noodles stay dry!
1988 BFN-sold

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 2:32pm
Congrats,Great job on the home run now,keep the post and pictures coming.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 5:35pm
I have found one thing I dislike nearly as much as grinding fiberglass. That would be carpeting the sides. What a pain in zee arse.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 5:37pm
If you want to do side panels, I can send you a template.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 7:58pm

I have found one thing I dislike nearly as much as grinding fiberglass. That would be carpeting the sides

Mike I'll trade you - I've been out removing ablative bottom paint off my X55. I'm sanding it off and came out of the shop looking like a red-brown raccoon plus everything I eat or drink tastes like copper!! I'm sanding because I gave up on paint and varnish remover. I tried 4 different types and even talked to the Interlux tech. The ablative is a tough one to get off. Never again on the ablative. Doing it sunny side up so my arms are about to fall off too. I put it on after putting a new bottom on the boat and it was right after the EPA removed the tin from the traditional bronze bottom paints. I thought the ablative was a good idea. I'm going back to the original bronze but it's in color only. The bronze without the tin isn't a anti fouling paint any more! The ablative is failing - coming off in chunks so I just can't go over the top. 3 coats of it so it's thick. I'm down to 40 grit paper!!

Your install looks great!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 8:03pm
i wonder how many beer cans wound up in there with the noodles, i see you lost the other half of your Holley,
job well done, now maybe the beer shortage is over and i can get a sixer
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 8:43pm
Sounds like several of us will sleep well tonight!

Pete, I used to kill things in aquariums with copper...but we all know you're being careful.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 11:01pm
No thanks Pete. I will be doing my share of sanding in a couple years on the 68 Nautique. I do not envy you ast all at this point, and will consider the carpet adhesion a treat.

Eric. Hey man, this was only supposed to be the Year of the Skeleton, and a little improvement on the interior stuff. I am going to do stuff to the motor next winter, and then the exterior after that. The engine just got a little jealous of the plywood and dash.

A couple more shots of todays progress.

I am so close I can taste it.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 10:28am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Ha yourself! And may your noodles stay dry!

I must have been over tired, that went right over my head until now. NICE, Greg, but isn't that the absolute opposite of what we were saying?!?!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 10:42am
You could keep 'em wet if you plug the drains...
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 11:41am
you sure that blue thing is going to push that boat above a wake speed?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 12:27pm
Bwaaa ha ha ha.
Nothing wrong with a little blue oval, dude. It's all about balance.
Don't forget, Eric,I still have the big bad ass bowtie in my Super Air. I like me a little 502 bowtie, too.

Greg, think about the context and get back to me.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 1:07pm
i have one of those in my go-cart lol
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 5:47pm
So does my wife!

Mike N

1968 Mustang

anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 11:21pm
WAO!!! What a great looking car!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 11:33am
Mike,
Unless I've missed seeing it in your pictures, I don't see that you have been pre sealing any of your new wood with CPES or at least epoxy resin. Now I see you have got the ply floor screwed in and it too doesn't look sealed. Are you just dry fitting it and planning on pulling it out to seal it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 12:22pm
hi Pete,

All the wood in the boat has been epoxied at least twice. Top, bottom, and all sides. In fact, I have done the edges three times minimum, to be safe. Maybe looks that way with the flash off? I am on my 4th set of West. I have not been conservative with my epoxy by any stretch. Screw holes are epoxied, too.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 12:33pm

hi Pete,

All the wood in the boat has been epoxied at least twice. Top, bottom, and all sides. In fact, I have done the edges three times minimum, to be safe. Maybe looks that way with the flash off? I am on my 4th set of West. I have not been conservative with my epoxy by any stretch. Screw holes are epoxied, too.

Great to hear it! I was getting worried. I hate to see anyone put in lots of man hours without going all the way with a job.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 16>
  Share Topic