Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not another Mustang restoration thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 54>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2012 at 11:08pm
John I got nothing on the mirror but the cannister is from another company.Check with the fuel pump guys tho,they may have it.You used to be able to get those cannisters every where.I actually got mine from a mechanic at work years ago,it seemed that every Ford industrial engine had one.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2012 at 11:22pm
The bracket on the mirror is designed with two sets of mounting holes. One set is threaded so you can clamp it on the windshield frame, the other set is beveled so it can be mounted on a flat surface like the dash where mine was. The windshield mounting would require a different link between the bracket and the mirror, so mine is definitely a dash mount.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2012 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Your right John I did add a fitting.I had bought a new pump for a spare and with the exception of the inlet and outlet position and a smaller filter it was identical.It has a vent but it's on the wrong side,it hits the oil sender extension.So with that in mind I added a vent to my old pump. New cannisters are available,but since you have to make the trip anyway They do get rusty if water got in them.

I was searching the interweb today for more fuel pump info. I found something interesting. The fuel pump used on the H/Ms is a Carter X. It has the same body as the Carter X model that came only on Ford 427, 428CJ, 428SCJ, GT390, Shelby GT500, and Boss 302. It is modified for boat use with the addition of the fuel filter / water accumulation canister on the bottom. Several Shelby GT500 owners have said that their Shelbys came with the screw on fuel filter bowl just like the boat. This is another example (the original Autolite non marine carb is another) of H/M going for a component specific to racing use that was not commonly available on to consumers in other applications. They are quite pricey if they have the correct date code and casting number. There was a similar Carter X offered in the early 60s, but without the dual anti float springs and high volume capacity, that one has no real value.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2012 at 4:09am
After much consideration I decided to use the Holley 600 marine carb with vacuum secondaries on the Mustang. I took it in for rebuilding Monday. I am going to keep the original Autolite automotive carb on a shelf just because. I believe that safety is more important than originality in this matter.
I also emailed Holman Moody with a distributor question. I was amazed when Lee Holman responded. I printed the response and put it in the boat file.

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2012 at 11:40pm
That is pretty cool. Sounds like you are making good progress.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2012 at 9:39pm
I have made some progress on my Mustang, "Theseus Paradox".
I finally decided to go with the Holley 600 carburetor instead of the original Autolite 600. I took it to Uremco in Schiller Park, IL and had it rebuilt. I sent the fuel pump to Arthur Gould rebuilders. Both came out very nice. I am happy to have them back.

I talked to Ed from a hot rod/ race car fabrication shop in Addison IL today regarding the exhaust system. I am considering going with Trident Silicon rubber 3" VHT hose all the way back, but wanted to explore the possibility of using stainless steel or possibly copper. I found that copper does not like being radiused, even with a mandrel bender. Stainless steel bends nicely. The set up I am considering is having 3" SS tubing fabricated to fit in two pieces so I don't have to to cut the rib under the back seat to get it in. It would connect to the H/M manifolds with trident silicone hump hoses, and connect to the tips with about 18" of trident silicone 3" for the slight bend up to the tips.

While talking to Ed I was shown around the shop and saw a number of custom fabricated ceramic coated headers. I learned that many are coated on the inside as well as the outside for additional protection (the custom fabricated ones Ed makes are expensive). Ed referred me to a coatings company in the Chicago suburbs that does the coatings for him. I called and learned that my H/M aluminum exhaust manifolds can be internally coated with ceramic, preventing corrosion on the aluminum, a major cause of failure. I am going to take them in and get an estimate within the next couple of weeks.

I dropped off the original fuel tank at Gas Tank Renu today to be cleaned and internally coated to seal the tank and prevent future corrosion. It will be done next week.

Things are looking up and I really think it will be ready in the spring, provided that there are no unforeseen engine or transmission problems. I know Eric can turn the trans around in a hurry, and the fluid looks nice and clean and it seems to work properly, but I only ran it for a couple minutes in the driveway. The engine has good oil pressure and seems to have no major mechanical problems, but you never know about something that has been sitting for nearly a decade. If I am really lucky I may hear something about the seat frames I am hoping for.

I looked into having the SS steering wheel restored, but it is not original to this boat and I didn't think it was worth $1,100.00 to have it done. I bought a new Grant #201. It has very nice quality chrome and has walnut grips. It looks very similar to the original SS wheel. I am in the process of fixing the crack in the original white plastic wheel, but I don't want to use it for every day. I observed a few hairline cracks in the frame, and it cracked when I tried to catch myself with it. With the abuse a boat steering wheel takes pulling yourself out of the seat with it, I don't think it would last very long. I will keep it on a shelf next to my Autolite carb, spare Carter X fuel pump, prop shaft, strut, and other misc parts.

Gary got in to the plater before me, so I am afraid he bumped me on my next load of parts to be plated. No problem, spring is still a long way off. We will both have our stuff back well before spring. Gary's boat DESERVES the finest plating, it's jewelry for the fine girl.

Now I need to get back to the buffing. The rub rail is a major pain, I am not looking forward to buffing / sanding the scratches out. I tried a small test area. I then went back to pulling out my fingernails and driving nails into my foot. It is more fun that working on the rub rail.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2012 at 10:03pm
John,
Man, my ADD sure kicked in on this post!!

OK, all I want to comment about is the copper tube bending. Your guy doesn't know what the he** he's talking about. ALL the old boat manufactures bent it and I have even done it myself. All that's needed is a good annealing. Trash that guy!! He must be smoking something in the back room!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2012 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
Man, my ADD sure kicked in on this post!!

OK, all I want to comment about is the copper tube bending. Your guy doesn't know what the he** he's talking about. ALL the old boat manufactures bent it and I have even done it myself. All that's needed is a good annealing. Trash that guy!! He must be smoking something in the back room!

I never asked Ed, the fabricator, about bending copper pipe. I was told that by one of the biggest pipe distributors in the midwest, Porter pipe and Supply. They told me that type L would work well for straight runs, but it doesn't radius well, especially the 110 degree radius I need. Just a note here, the porter guy has never sold it for this purpose. It is a wholesale pipe supply house and commercial plumbing is done by sweating fittings, not bending pipe.
I would never consider ending my relationship with Ed. He does the highest quality fabrication. His work is in most auto related shows featuring aftermarket products and race cars, both trade and consumer. He is an amazing fabricator, and charges accordingly. Here area a couple of projects.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2012 at 10:51pm
coming along nicely
"the things you own will start to own you"
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2012 at 11:23pm
I dont remember what we order for the woodies but it is specifically for fuel and is copper. I think the choices are 3/8 and 7/16". Anywho, it can easily make 90%%d bends with less than a 4inch radius.

I love that steering wheel, is that specifically '71 correct craft?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 2:19am
Looking good John, Juventino will think he's seeing double!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 9:16am
John,
You are listening to a supplier of copper and not a fabricator. I'm in the fab bussiness and, been around the copper in old wood hulls for quite some time!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 11:23am
i have been bending 1/2 and 3/4 L for man y years and I dont know about large diameter or other processes for bending the large stuff but there is some sort of change in the smaller stuff that has come to the market in the last five yrs . it fractures a lot easier than it used to
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 11:41am
Im lost- why do you need to bend anything? Will corrugated hose not bend enough to get to the vertical H-M risers? If not, Id have a good fabricator weld some pieces of SS together rather than trying to custom bend something. You can get good SS bends relatively inexpensively here:

Verocious Motorsports

Do you have options on the finish for the ceramic coating? Id want to keep the original blue paint color... or maybe you can paint over it? My Hi-Teks are ceramic coated (polished) and look decent- though not as nice as a true polished SS (or aluminum). The coating has held up well though- no discoloration on the runners, and no peeling anywhere.

I cant see the picture of your steering wheel, but I would encourage you to use an original one instead. I think both the simulated wood grain and white plastic versions look good. I would not recommend using the wheel as a means to get into and out of the seat- its simply not meant to take that kind of abuse!

Still no progress on the seats, but Im hopeful I will get to them soon.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 11:58am
Designing bent copper systems has been my stock and trade at various points in my career so I will comment ...

Pete is all wet if he thinks bending large copper tubes (over 2.5 inches) is trivial. 2 inch L will bend in half hard, and full soft with standard tooling pretty reliably as long as you are not looking for tight radius bends. By the time you hit 2.5 inches you are border line for reliable bends, if you want repeatable bends the tooling is not off the shelf and neither is the copper. Generally you are not going to get off the shelf 2.5+ inch K full soft off the shelf. The large diameter tooling manufacturers generally required that the thickness be pretty close to K type ranges at a minimum and that it be very well controlled. It put the copper buyers in fits because they could not switch between suppliers easily.

I can't think of any HVAC oems that havent gone to elbows on everything over 1 5/8" at this point due to space constraints though.    
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 12:39pm
Hi Tim,
The ceramic coating would be on the inside of the manifolds where the exhaust gasses pass. It is just to prevent corrosion in the future. Color really doesn't matter since its internal. I will go through the engine next winter and have it freshened up, painted, and detailed if it makes it through the summer. It will be the original Ford blue.
Pete, I will ask Ed about bending the copper. It was just a salesman at the copper distributor that told me that. I don't know why he believes it won't work, but I believed him. He never heard of using it for boat exhaust before.
I will have the repaired white Mustang wheel, but I don't want to break it again. The wheel that was in the SS like Gary's is rusty and I can't justify the expense of repairing it. This one is similar. The reason i was thinking about doing the exhaust in SS or copper is because Ed can do it quite a bit cheaper than the Strident hose would cost, and the original hose has distorted into an oval at the bend and I don't want to restrict the flow that way. I love the way the exhaust you fabricated looks on your boat Tim. I may restrict the flow with mufflers depending on if I find it too loud.
Well, the exhaust and steering wheel would be the only incorrect parts. Maybe I will go with the hoses. Ed fabricated automotive exhaust from T304. It works for race cars, but I think he recommended T316 for marine use, and it is more expensive.
Kocian has my hourmeter and I will have them refinish my Airguide speedo face. I will need to figure out how to put the damper in the line. I am not sure, but I don't think the 69 has one. I need to get the 69s pitot and install it on this boat. It was frozen in when I was up north a couple weeks ago.
Thanks everyone, for the help and advice!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 12:51pm
John, when I had my Hiteks coated, they did every single surface they could reach, inside, outside, water jackets, everything. Im not familiar enough with the process to know if they could restrict where they coat, or whether you'd want to anyways. I assume its paintable even if they coat the outside- but Id ask the question. Make sure you get the right "Ford Blue" for that H-M... I know the "Old Ford Blue" Ive used on a few motors is quite a bit darker than you'll want.

All of the exhaust bends used on my '90 came from the link I posted above. Its thick walled, high quality 304L. I actually had the visible pipes ceramic coated as well. I would not spring for 316 if the price difference was significant. I also would not spring for the blue Trident hose, as its outrageously expensive. The common corrugated hose (Shields or other) is high quality and should last a LONG time- I still have the original exhaust hoses in my '71.

Ive repaired plastic steering wheels and theyve held up well. They have no reason to break under normal use. I would NOT consider using them as a grab rail to be "normal use"- theyre simply not meant to hold any weight. Pretty sure theyre meant to steer the boat.

My '71 Skier has an Airguide that I believe was installed either by the dealer or the original owner (probably the latter). My damper tube is mounted to a wooden block fixed to the stringer right near where the exhaust enters the floor- its accessible in the engine compartment.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 12:58pm
John,

How much did Uremco charge you to rebuild your carb if you do not mind me asking?    Also, did they provide the kit or did you provide the kit. Does this price include having the secondaries replaced? What was the turn around time?

I need to have my carb freshened up.

Thanks,

Donald
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 1:50pm
Oh you want to bend 2.5 inch copper? Must have missed thazt. Would be kinda tough but if you packed it full of sand before hand you might get a decent bend
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

Oh you want to bend 2.5 inch copper? Must have missed thazt. Would be kinda tough but if you packed it full of sand before hand you might get a decent bend

No, the exhaust is 3".
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 2:40pm
Anyone know a source for good quality 3" SS for through hulls?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 2:59pm
Bruce, what style? Ive bought SS tips from both Eddie Marine and Rex Marine. They wont look quite like the originals from the early 70's and prior though- I believe those used polished pipes and trim rings rather than 1-piece tips. They dont match the later style either, but can be modified to look very close. Pete was able to trim the length on our BFN tips to give them the same proportions as the originals.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 3:05pm
Tim, we want them to look original, so I'm looking for decent quality SS pipe we can cut at an angle. I have some trim rings like in John's picture above that we will have re chromed. I had thought about the tips you have that Pete cut and someone said we'll never know the difference once we put rubber flaps on them, but the Cuda is so original we want to keep it that way, (also Dave's not too crazy about the rubber flaps).
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 3:15pm
Bruce, do you even need to cut it at an angle? I cant recall what my Skier looks like... but I want to say that Sage's original 2.5" tips were cut straight on both sides. I could be wrong.

Either way, you can get 3" polished SS tubing in shorter lengths for $18/ft from the same place I got the rest of my (non-polished) 304L tubing:

Verocious Motorsports polished SS tubing

I'd skip the flaps as well!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 3:23pm
Great source, thanks! That's just what I was looking for. Our Mustang and the Cuda both have angle tips.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 3:31pm
Good deal.

It took me a while to find the right angle, but I think the later (71+) tips are cut at a slight angle as well.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

John,

How much did Uremco charge you to rebuild your carb if you do not mind me asking?    Also, did they provide the kit or did you provide the kit. Does this price include having the secondaries replaced? What was the turn around time?

Uremco charged $240 . It includes all parts. The carb is like new when you get it back. It comes back blister packed and boxed, and normally even the idle speed is correct when you install it. I have used them for over 40 years. Almost all of their work is for resale, however they don't mind dealing with individuals. Turn around is about 1 week right now, but its first comment first served and they can get quite busy in the spring with all of the work from marinas, hot rod shops and the likes. I have never waited more than two weeks. It's a big shop with about 40 employees. That's all they do.
Contact is Alan. 1-847-678-2233

I need to have my carb freshened up.

Thanks,

Donald

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 3:34pm
Those look straight, but there isn't much difference. Pete wouldn't even pick up on it.

Edit: Looking at the 2nd photo, they look beveled, too.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

John, when I had my Hiteks coated, they did every single surface they could reach, inside, outside, water jackets, everything. Im not familiar enough with the process to know if they could restrict where they coat, or whether you'd want to anyways. I assume its paintable even if they coat the outside- but Id ask the question. Make sure you get the right "Ford Blue" for that H-M... I know the "Old Ford Blue" Ive used on a few motors is quite a bit darker than you'll want.

All of the exhaust bends used on my '90 came from the link I posted above. Its thick walled, high quality 304L. I actually had the visible pipes ceramic coated as well. I would not spring for 316 if the price difference was significant. I also would not spring for the blue Trident hose, as its outrageously expensive. The common corrugated hose (Shields or other) is high quality and should last a LONG time- I still have the original exhaust hoses in my '71.

Ive repaired plastic steering wheels and theyve held up well. They have no reason to break under normal use. I would NOT consider using them as a grab rail to be "normal use"- theyre simply not meant to hold any weight. Pretty sure theyre meant to steer the boat.

Tim, or anyone else who cares to chime in, do you think the plain rubber hose is adequate for the application? Is corrugated better than non corrugated? I realize the stuff in the boat is 42 years old and it still works, I just want to make the right choice and I don't want it to kink or collapse inside. The Shields is cheap, and that is tempting.

My '71 Skier has an Airguide that I believe was installed either by the dealer or the original owner (probably the latter). My damper tube is mounted to a wooden block fixed to the stringer right near where the exhaust enters the floor- its accessible in the engine compartment.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 5:53pm
John, I'm planning on using corugated for the bends from the exhaust manifolds to straight copper pipe beneath the floor. I think corrugated would work well all the way to the through hulls, but want to see if the boat has a better tone with copper under the floor.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 54>
  Share Topic