NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

23' Fish Nautique Restoration Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 17>
Author
firefight-n View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2010 at 11:07pm
Nice! its definetly nic to see so many Fish's out there, i didnt think there were this many people who cared about them like this... good deal!
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2010 at 12:08am
looking at that mess you guys have scares me. i repaced some soft wood that was holding up a deck with some angle aluminum. Did you see most of your rot in the stringers near the engine compartment?.. Also on your gas tank placement, from what i have seen on my FN they stuff the bow on a short chop and seem like that have enough weight toward the front. Also I have a 80 gal tank, I can fish all day burn 20 25 gals gas.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2010 at 10:10am
jb, most of my rot was in the bulkheads, the stringers had a good amnt just not as bad as the bulkheads. Im placeing my tank in the CG with a water holding tank frwd of that. But im not going with inbrds, there will be outbrds on this project that will burn about 100-150 gallons a day of fishing lol a little extreme to your 20-25 gals. How far do you run to get out? I have to run 40-50 out before i start fishing...
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2010 at 10:18am
80% of my rot was the bulkheads to. The one stringer I have taken out was rotten from the bottom up about 75%. Still not a good thing but like fire said mainly bulkheads. On my way to the boat in 10 mins. Hope to get these stringers all up and everything ground down. Take some final measurements for the new stuff and call in the order. I will PICs later

John
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2010 at 11:35pm
wow thats a pretty good run where you located. Im in Stuart Fl, we got a 2 mile run to the inlet and it drops off quick after 10 miles out. What type of outboard you putting on it? was thinking about the outboard option but was scared the way the boat would handle.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2010 at 12:51am
Daytona Bch area, I run out of Ponce Inlet but grew up fishing off palm beach county. I talked to a few people in Jupiter that had FN with outboards and they didnt have any complaints at all on the way it handled, they run to Bimini all the time and say its a tank spliting the sea on a head sea... Im putting twin 150 yamaha 4 strokes on and that should do the job.
tuna_tugger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2010 at 2:49am
Originally posted by firefight-n firefight-n wrote:

Daytona Bch area, I run out of Ponce Inlet but grew up fishing off palm beach county. I talked to a few people in Jupiter that had FN with outboards and they didnt have any complaints at all on the way it handled, they run to Bimini all the time and say its a tank spliting the sea on a head sea... Im putting twin 150 yamaha 4 strokes on and that should do the job.
You bet they will do the job espically mounted on a flotation bracket.   
Don Liberman
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2010 at 11:11pm
I have been hard at it, grinding these bulkheads and stringers out. This is not a fun job. I think out of this whole project I am willing to bet this is going to be the hardest part. Thank god I have had help from my buddy Rob. He has been a huge help in this grinding. Well not to much to say, the pics speak better then me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 12:11am
Originally posted by jzarski jzarski wrote:

I have been hard at it, grinding these bulkheads and stringers out. This is not a fun job. I think out of this whole project I am willing to bet this is going to be the hardest part. Thank god I have had help from my buddy Rob. He has been a huge help in this grinding. Well not to much to say, the pics speak better then me.

I can hardilly wait until I get to that point. I'm glad I have cheep labor down here. Looks like I could put three guys on that job. I need to get the boat back together for charter season. How long are the stringers?
Don Liberman
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 9:43am
nice JZ, looks like your gettin down to business! im still at a stand still due to funds.. Ill b at it soon keep up the great work
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 10:10am
any new progress???
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 11:21am
Yeah, I did some more gringing. Still have to grind the transom and a few little areas of the main stringer. I did go get all my material for the job. Went to Nida-Core to get my composite transom pour, hoping to do that this week. I will get some photos today of my progress.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 12:14pm
What are you doing to the transom? Did you cut out the deck across the transom yet? My partner should be back this week and I'll send toy the pictures of how the bildge lays out. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
Don Liberman
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 4:37pm
good deal! i just got my samples from nida-core of the deck material you were talking about, the piece of half inch HP whatever its called was strong as s***! I drove over both the regular honeycomb and the one wrapped in glass and both stood up to the abuse w/o collapse.. Man that stuff is strong! is there any particular reason for you going with the 1 inch over the half inch? i think im going to go with the half inch. One more question, do you know how much the sheets cost???
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by tuna_tugger tuna_tugger wrote:

What are you doing to the transom? Did you cut out the deck across the transom yet? My partner should be back this week and I'll send toy the pictures of how the bildge lays out. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Just building it up. It kinda flexes when you step on the platform and that does not go well for me. I am only pouring it 1.5 inch and about halfway up. It will also act as a rear bulkhead.

Fire, I have no good reason for using the 1 inch. Once I get the stringers and bulkheads in I will figure out the size I will use. The stuff is amazing!!!! I will most likley use the HP and put two layers of Biax on each side. It is so easy to work with too. Get a big piece of MDF to use as a flat surface. Set the NIDA on it wet it out put the two layers on, when it dries do the other side. Once both sides are dry you can cut it with a skill saw or table saw. The cost for the half inch is around $50+- a peice 4x8. Price goes up as the thickness goes up.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 7:58pm
WOW!!! $50 thats way cheaper than marine ply! You definetly sold me on that, ill be buying that for the deck for sure! Where do you buy from or do you have to have it shipped to you?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 8:00pm
A coworker here wants to know if you know if you can buy the stuff as they ship it to you in the sample box, meaning already glassed on both sides?
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 8:39pm
Yes you can get it with glass already on it you can even get it with glass and gelcoat. Well Nida is only an Hour from me so I just go pick it up. When we meet up in a few weeks if your funds permit I can grab you some and bring it to you. We will just time it when I am gonna go there to get my stuff and I can grab whatever you need.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 8:42pm

WOW!!! $50 thats way cheaper than marine ply!

Rich,
Marine ply is not needed in any of our CC projects so it's a poor comparison. Exterior ply is fine. Both use the same glues but marine has tighter standards for the inner plys (no voids) because it is typically used for structural applications.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 11:59pm
Yeah that would be great JZ Id appreciate that alot, i guess just lemme know when your going to get the trip together to get your items. Thanks in advance...
8122- I used marine ply for the bulkheads encapsilated with the glass on both sides due to the fact that the original bulkheads in the boat were garbage and rotted through all of them so i am Not going to go through this again, whoever owns the boat, at least not for along time. And for the deck i was going to use the marine ply until the Nida-Core suggestion came up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 3:25am
Originally posted by jzarski jzarski wrote:

Yes you can get it with glass already on it you can even get it with glass and gelcoat. Well Nida is only an Hour from me so I just go pick it up. When we meet up in a few weeks if your funds permit I can grab you some and bring it to you. We will just time it when I am gonna go there to get my stuff and I can grab whatever you need.
So jz I have been folowing your last chatter and it sounds like you have your *************** togerther on how to do the rebuit together do you want to bring some Nide down to Cabo? It seams to me you have good records of what you are purchasing and choosing the best or the best materials to use, pleaae continue. I will probibly follow your methords when I finally get to do my boat. I love the way the fish looks and handles the water and I have enough years of boating behind me that I know bigger is not always better. The only thing the fish lacks for some of our fishing tequinics is the ability to turn fast at low speeds so I will eather put a bow or stern thruster on. A sheet of marine ply cost about $95.US doun here so even with importsion and transportation(25%) from San Diego Nida sounds good. This is a great place for a honny moon!!!!!
Don Liberman
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 8:35am

8122- I used marine ply for the bulkheads encapsilated with the glass on both sides

Too bad you didn't find CCfan before you went to the expence of using marine grade. We would have told you it wasn't needed.

And for the deck i was going to use the marine ply until the Nida-Core suggestion came up.

The marine still isn't needed for the floor.

Yes, the Nida-core is a nice product.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 10:42am
Yes i know lol i love seeing the progress of others and their boats, especially the same project as im doing. but, hey its nice to know that... The marine ply i was using, okoume was not cheap, about 110 from a friend of mine that owns a lumber yard, and thats his cost.
Nole4lyffe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nole4lyffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2010 at 11:39pm
Looking at several FN 23 for sale, haven't come across the Twin version for sale, would you mind forwarding the contact information for the gentleman selling the one you mentioned
worththewake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worththewake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2010 at 12:14am
Originally posted by Nole4lyffe Nole4lyffe wrote:

Looking at several FN 23 for sale, haven't come across the Twin version for sale, would you mind forwarding the contact information for the gentleman selling the one you mentioned

Shoot me an email -
Scott
1980 Fish Nautique - Twin V6 Crusaders
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2010 at 9:44pm
hows the work coming along JZ?
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 1:33am
no work going on at all this week. I am still in Wisconsin Bow hunting..
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 7:32pm
gotcha you killin anything up there?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2010 at 6:17pm
Tuna have you got into your FN yet?
WhiteLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 3:48am

YAMAHAS??? please say it isn't so. At least get a 2 stroke.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 17>
  Share Topic