NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buying a Brand New Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2011 at 9:42am
sorry Reid, just being the Devils advocate...one worse than being house poor is being boat poor, if someone is in the position to coffer up for new CC, and cover it in cash.....surely they are intelligent enough to make their own decision.
nothing worse than seeing a 70k CC next to a 35k DW
"the things you own will start to own you"
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2011 at 10:08am
Up early Eric? Me too! Whats a DW?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2011 at 10:17am
double wide, and i dont mean ass...im about to paint some ceilings, thats why im up earlier
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2011 at 10:20am
Thanks for the explanation Michelangelo!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2011 at 10:48am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Thanks for the explanation Michelangelo!

Chris,
Or,
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

believe it or not, my real first name is Nelson.

Michelangelo Nelson

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2011 at 2:04pm
i wouldnt name my enemies that name
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2011 at 2:05pm
the things i gotta do to get laid, in between coats
robertbruder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2011 at 2:11pm
So I guess I should just throw a few things out there. My buying time frame is most likely going to be around August / September of this year (That is when I make my final truck payment and also corresponds to when I have my yearly review (hopefully this means a raise as well).)/ August September of next year if I decide to pay in cash. When this time comes I will either use the new disposable income to add to my Financial Investments, purchase another rental property, or purchase a boat. Now this could spin off into many different threads, but the original idea / concept for me is this, Would I enjoy a brand new $100,000 boat more so than a 5-10 year old one?

So lets say we were comparing a 2000 SAN, 2005 SAN, and 2011 SAN. What if any justifications would there be in purchasing any one of these over the other? Would I enjoy a 2011 SAN $75,000 worth more than a 2000 SAN?

"the things you own will start to own you" Eric Lavine's Signature
Current: 1988 Sierra Supreme
Past: 1986 Correct Craft Martinique, 1984 Ski Supreme, 1984 Bare Foot Nautique
Nautique Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2011 at 10:36pm
At the end of the day, it will cost you a hell of a lot more than $75,000. By the time you figure interest, length of the loan and the opportunity cost of the extra money you financed that could have been invested and made a return on your money... IMO you would be making a bad financial decision to put that kind of money in a depreciating asset if you don't have the ability to pay cash for it. Let your money work for you, not the other way around.

If you are starting a family soon, you will realize how expensive kids actually are. Between diapers and doctors, you will spend a small fortune. Like Eric said, you don't want a 75k Correct Craft sitting next to a double wide. With the support on this website, the older boats are a good bet.

This is just my opinion, i tend to be a little on the conservative side though. Good luck with whichever way you go.
1997 Nautique Super Sport

1989 Ski Nautique 2001 (Sold)
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2011 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by robertbruder robertbruder wrote:

)/ August September of next year if I decide to pay in cash.

yeah but this guy is paying in $$$$$CASH$$$$$$. talk to REIDP he can hook you up with either a brand new boat or a slightly used boat which is what your original question was if you got 75k laying around im sure your not going to be living in a DW. Im 23ad have a pretty nice house of my own. some days i wish i could trade the house for a DW and head out to the lake

76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2011 at 2:38pm
It would be a shame to have a san sitting next to a double wide. Why is the san sitting outside?
I would rather have a large pole building with 2500 sq ft of it being converted to an apartment.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2011 at 2:42pm
I read somewhere that a boat is what you buy once your other investments pay you back.

So my intentional purpose of this thread was not whether financing a boat is a good / Bad idea but more to get feedback from those who have bought brand new as to why they made the decision to buy new versus slightly used?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2011 at 3:01pm
I bought a new boat because I got a great deal which closed the gap between slightly used and new, and I got to order it just the way I wanted it.

I see nothing wrong with having a $70k boat parked next to a double wide. Except I would want it in a nice garage next to the double wide. It all depends where your priorities are.

sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2011 at 3:01pm
if i had the $$$$ to buy a brand new SAN i wouldn't hesitate to call up "RACE CITY MARINE" and tell Matt or Reid im coming to buy a brand new boat. Without a doubt you have no worries about how someone else has taken care of it. If your not looking at trading in 2 years or re-sale value . Buy the new one and be proud to own the very best boat on your lake BTW i bought my first brand new truck when i was 16 i still have it and all the memories that go along with it i wouldnt trade it for the world
76 Nautique

"An empty wagon makes t
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 11:30am
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Are you going to bring that nice rig to Green Lake this July???

Moj'

LOL!!! Moj, you are shameless - I love it. If I ever have my own company you are going to be my first call to head up my marketing department.. I am with you though man, everyone should try to attend GL!

Hahaha,, Yep, been a marketing exec for 20 year.. I'm currently entertaining all offers   

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 12:14pm
MOJ' if i end up at GL i want a ride in that 211
76 Nautique

"An empty wagon makes t
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by sweet77 sweet77 wrote:

MOJ' if i end up at GL i want a ride in that 211

Not a problem, just get those tickets booked and come on up !!!!
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 2:35pm
Tickets booked? Heck, he's caravaning up with us so he can bring that boat, right Hals?, or do you pronounce it Hoss, I wasn't sure? But the road trip IS fun.      
ReidP
1973 Mustang

sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 2:50pm
That's a long drive from fla however it don't matter how you say it I'll answer to it
76 Nautique

"An empty wagon makes t
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 2:51pm
Oh and haven't got the boat yet
76 Nautique

"An empty wagon makes t

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I see nothing wrong with having a $70k boat parked next to a double wide. Except I would want it in a nice garage next to the double wide. It all depends where your priorities are.

As a kid my Great Uncle had two waterfront lots next to each other each with a Double Wide. The lake was 1/2 an hour from his house. As a kid I was just glad to be up at the lake, it was almost like going camping for us. The trailer's provided running water (a toilet), a fridge and stove to store and cook food.

A double wide lake trailer is better than no lake house at all.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 3:00pm

I'm pretty sure the reference wasn't pertaining to a DW "lake house". Even a SINGLE wide is the bomb when it's at the lake .
ReidP
1973 Mustang

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 4:04pm
You mean you guys actually have houses, don't just live on the boat?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

I'm pretty sure the reference wasn't pertaining to a DW "lake house". Even a SINGLE wide is the bomb when it's at the lake .

Not pertaining to a "lake house'. I'll take the nice boat and SW or DW, over a nice house or even a lake house with no boat any day. As far as DW versus SW, you can get a 16' SW now which is a lot of house for the money. Makes that new 200 with the big engine more affordable! You just got to get by the stigma.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 7:42pm
My first house at the lake was the tiniest, <800 sq.ft., and it was THE house, i.e., our ONLY house, built with less quality than most SW's, but I was following Bruce's mentality, and I felt like Trump, 'cause I was on the water. Plus, we bought prior to values rising. We still have that little place today which a handful of folks here have visited, and have loved every minute of it.      
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 7:58pm
Reid, are you talking bout the cask looking thing?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Even a SINGLE wide is the bomb when it's at the lake .

Good point Reid! There is of course the discussion of at the lake (i.e. private/neighborhood dock vs on the lake (lakeview). Of course if I go with the new boat the lake house will be more of a 3-5 year goal.

Surprisingly houses on Geist are cheaper per sq ft than in my suburb of Zionsville.

So there is always the discussion of new boat but I don't have a water view from my house or used boat with waterview.

I'm thinking used boat, no waterview, and a F-150 VelociRaptor

For some reason the neighborhood association won't let me build a lake front pole building.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic