Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Show Me Your Spare Tire Mount (early 90's SN)

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2012 at 12:16am
Cool! Will do..... Thanks!

Might be a few months, though......
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2012 at 2:01am
whenever, works just fine for me
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2012 at 6:59pm
I found this what I believe to be a tire mount from my old 71' CC trailer. Let me know if anyone wants it ??? It was mounted to one of the uprights on the bow stop.

05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 3:27pm
PM me what you want for it Mojo.
ezim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2013 at 1:31pm
Anyway I could get the tracings as mentioned previously. Trailer steps are in sad condition (multiple pieces) and winter project to recondition trailer is planned. Thanks.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2013 at 7:02pm
Hi Ezim,
   welcome to CCF... I am happy to send you the PDF files, but since you're so new here, I want to be sure you're not a spammer etc, before I Email you directly...   Tell us about your boat, and put up some pictures PM me with your email details so I can get you hooked up
ezim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2013 at 6:41pm
Sorry for delayed response, got busy and just was able to get back. PM you with email address. Thanks.
gsyogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsyogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2013 at 9:57pm
Ok, I finally put my step templates to use (great work as to KRoudy and Dreaming for doing more with them than I ever could) … next step, Spar varnish. I need some help with carpet. Although I have been in touch with the folks at Ram-Lin (I even sent them a tracing of my fenders), they are unable/unwilling to sell to anyone other than a Correct Craft dealership. As Denver, CO lost its only CC dealership last year, it appears that I am out of luck. I would to find a suitable substitute? As for the fenders, I will likely have them fabricated locally.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2013 at 6:07am
Brian,
Since you are carpeting, skip the spar varnish as it's not going to give you the needed moisture protection. Make sure you have all holes predrilled and give the ply several coats of CPES or thin down some epoxy resin yourself.There are some threads on reducing your own epoxy with solvent. Then a couple coats of regular epoxy resin will give the ply the needed moisture protection. You will be amazed at how much of the thin epoxy gets sucked into the ply edges.

CPES at Jamestown

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gsyogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsyogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2013 at 8:23pm
Thanks Peter ... I read up on the CPES and I know that you are right. How much product do you think I need to do the job: the 2 quart set? As I am new to the world of epoxy, what would you recommend for "regular epoxy resin" that you refer to for the final couple of coats? Thanks in advance. As an FYI, I got some great news from Ram-Lin today that they WILL sell directly to me!
gsyogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsyogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2013 at 12:31am
An update: Carpeted one step today. IMHO, upholstery is an art form—I faired ok and am pleased with the results. Note to Kevin, et. al. who have worked off my cardboard templates ... I realized several days ago that the "slots" for the trailer supports (the rectangular cuts in my boards that are perpendicular to the trailer frame) were too narrow to allow me to wrap the carpet and staple along the underside. FYI, note that I realized this AFTER I had completed the CPES and Spar varnish treatments—I had to one-up Doug and did both CPES and 5 (FIVE) coats of Spar … ha … seriously, thanks for all your help Doug! Anyway, I wanted to do things correctly, so I recut the width to 1 ¾” to allow for wrapping (however, after today’s experience, I would make sure to widen them to at least 2” to allow you to grab sufficient material) and reopened the CPES and Spar (same number of coats). Anyway, the photos show my results:

Also, I purchased a Surebonder 9600 pneumatic staple gun for this and the bunk board project—can’t say enough good things about this $25 (Amazon) gun … worked like a charm (along with Arrow Monel/Rustproof ½” staples, #508M1).

KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2013 at 1:58pm
Brian, that looks great! Well-done. I must say you have impeccable timing as I painted the trailer with it's first coat yesterday and also went out to purchase my plywood. After the next coat of paint I was going to place the templates onto the trailer for a quick trial fit before beginning to lay them out on the ply.

Your note on the size of the slots makes sense. If the plywood is 3/4" thick, and the slots were 1-1/2" wide (2 x 0.75), there would be no carpet material to wrap around to the backside. It's a little stretchy, but not very much.

I purchased some basic black carpet locally for the steps.

I have a question about the bunk rails. I did not take any pictures when I removed the rails on my trailer and have only a faint recollection of how the carpet was put onto the rails. I THINK it was a combination of glue/staples something like this diagram (forgive my crude sketch)?

Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2013 at 2:04pm
I would not put 2 layers of carpet on - it will hold water.    It is better to bevel the wood such that there are no sharp corners to wear thru the carpet, IMO.

Stapling on the side is the way to go. I used a hand stapler followed by a hammer to set them all the way in.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2013 at 11:29pm
The wood is beveled. The stock wood that came on the trailer is still in very good shape.

I agree with your thought about holding water, but I'm also more than 50% sure that the two-layer idea was stock. If it was (can somebody answer that question?) should I keep it original or not?

Kevin

PS - finished painting today. Going to run a new set of wiring and get going on the side steps.
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2013 at 12:01am
Haha! Looking great Brian!!

Yes, you've upped the ante, I did not use CPES and am now wishing I had. Oh well, save those templates, I'll probably need them in a few years.
Doug
gsyogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsyogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2013 at 1:43am
Doug, thanks ... I just hope our rig turns out somewhere nearly as nice as yours did! No worries about the templates ... thanks to Kevin, et. al., they are now (at least as I understand) preserved in a digital format. Kevin, I have attached a photo of my new boards and, as I ordered my carpet from Ram-Lin, I can verify that stock was a double setup (see the photo below). Although I understand the logic behind stapling from the sides, I am going to do it the "stock" way and "double up" electing to run the staples under the boards (thanks Marty)—also, NO glue ... if you do the "double" use staples (or, as I have tried to up the ante again, I am going to use some recessed copper large-head nails) ... I realize that I am doing so at my own peril (Chris is probably right about the long-haul)!!!

Good luck.

KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2013 at 12:50pm
Nice job on the boards. Those look very similar to the stock configuration.

Why no glue on the inner layer?

Kevin
gsyogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsyogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2013 at 1:58pm
Kevin,

Again I am a newbie trying to things correctly ... but, as I understand it, the issue with not using glue involves several things: 1) most adhesives won't adhere to treated lumber (I realize this may not be an issue for you) ... also, feel free to do what you wish, but I faced the same issue with my bunks ... they were perhaps "OK" to reuse; however, the guys here encouraged me to replace them while I had the chance ... it was an easy project and only involved $20 worth of treated lumber and a rental charge for a portable table saw ... FYI—now I know that they are right, 2) the adhesive may give up its hold and then you end up with bumps and puckers under your top layer, and 3) I will suggest this is the most important reason, you may end up having to re-carpet the bunks at some point in the future—staples/tacks are a lot easier to remove than peeling off glued carpet!
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2013 at 5:29pm
A little tip when mounting the boards to the trailer rails is to start at the front and use the length of the board as a lever to make the curve. A rachet strap and good clamps will also help.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 4:59pm
An update on my trailer rebuild, including photos of how the template is working. The scan and print that Dreaming did are great! I'm ready to trim to fit and start sawing some plywood.

My boat blog
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2013 at 1:11pm
Here's an update for any who are interested.

Yes - I removed the trailer jack and replaced it with a new one. The OEM jack looked OK until you put weight on it and then it really bent over.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic