NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

73 Skier Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 26>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2010 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Keegan,
I don't believe you mentioned if you have the original mechanical gauge in the tank. Is it still there? You mentioned hoses.

There is no mechanical gauge on the tank. It looks like the electronic gauge went in the hole where the mechanical one came out.   This boat definitely came with a few of the options, so maybe it came that way?    

What's up on the dash? Does the actual gauge look original? Just wondering if it was added/changed later.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2010 at 1:17pm
Pete
Here are some pictures of the gauges and the top of the gas tank looking through the site window. It all looks stock to me, but then again anything that old looks original.

Through the site window

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2010 at 1:40pm
Looks original to me!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2010 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Looks original to me!

Same here!

Clark,
Here's a good picture of the Teleflex gauges.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2010 at 7:45pm

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Roger! Your work is amazing and I am following your info closely. Glad I just have a skier and not a BF for my first project! I used to live in Leeds. Where abouts are you?[/QUOTE]

Keegan I'm 30 miles west of London not that far from Watford, your be safe here for the rebuild with so much knowledge here from the guys.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2010 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

Thanks Roger! Your work is amazing and I am following your info closely. Glad I just have a skier and not a BF for my first project! I used to live in Leeds. Where abouts are you?[/QUOTE]

Keegan I'm 30 miles west of London not that far from Watford, your be safe here for the rebuild with so much knowledge here from the guys.

[/QUOTE]

Nicer weather down there than up in Leeds! All I remember is cold and rain the entire year I was there. When it comes to this re-build there is no way I could have envisioned this restoration without a resource like CCF.com

Things are starting to come together in my mind. Putting together my D Fir order list today so I can call around and get some prices. It rained today and I could not work on the boat. My next steps are to pull the fuel tank, unwire the engine and get it ready to be pulled. Once that is out I am going to get crazy chopping out the floor.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 10:35pm
Am I going to have to remove the cap to repair this, and if I do that can I fill the cap with 2lb foam to make up for not putting foam in the floor?
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 11:24pm
Keegan,
It's hard to tell from the pictures but what's rotted? The ply backing at the deck openings? If so, just grind off the bad ply. grind flush and then you could actually glue new CPES'd/epoxied ply on with 5200.

What foam are you worried about? On the bottom side of the deck?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 12:16am

Keegan,
It's hard to tell from the pictures but what's rotted? The ply backing at the deck openings? If so, just grind off the bad ply. grind flush and then you could actually glue new CPES'd/epoxied ply with 5200.

What foam are you worried about? On the bottom side of the deck?

Pete-

The picture is of the rot under the sight window. Every screw hole through the top there was rotted out. All of the snaps came out without turning. Just pulled them right out. The sight window is the biggest hole therefore it has the most visible damage. Your CPES'd plywood idea sounds good to me. With the screws going into the wood it is not going to fall even if the 5200 is not cured yet. I was worried about trying to glass over it in place, with gravity and all.

As for the foam I am about to do a complete stringer job and do not plan to re-foam anywhere but in the front around the hoses. I was thinking if I had to take the top off to fix the rot under the back there I could foam the gunnels and all around in the cap. Just thinking out loud.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2010 at 10:24pm
Two interesting things I found here today.
1.The spider cracks around the platform mount.
      Should I reinforce this on the inside with plywood when I am replacing all the other wood in the transom?
2. Definitely need to add draining the speedometer intake when winterizing the boat. Check out the crack in the tube!

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2010 at 11:34pm
Keegan,
Platforms didn't come out of the factory until 1978 so yours was added. The spider cracking was caused by the PO not installing it properly not using any transom reinforcement. Yes, if you want to put the platform back on, then ply needs to be added to the transom at the mounts. It should be CPES'd and glassed in just like your stringers.

The pulsation dampener can be repaired by soldering with a solder that has some silver in it. BTW, water should not even get up that far into the dampener so you'll want to check for air leaks in the pitot tubing or even in the speedo itself. There's a bellows inside the speedo that can crack/split. It too can be repaired. Since the bellows flexs, it must be soldered with a all silver silver solder. The bellows changes the air pressure created from the pitot/water into the mechanical movement for the speedo needle. With the tubing itself, it's best to just replace with new.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2010 at 11:36pm
I mentioned earlier in the post that the wood holding the gas tank was covered with vinyl and that would surely trap moisture. Sure enought the wood was more like foam and the top of the stringer came off when I pulled it up. One more reason that I made the right decision to go ahead with this restoration.

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2010 at 11:48pm
Keegan,
The vinyl was under the tank as sort of a cushion between it and the glass. It helped keep the tank from sliding around if the straps loosed with time. The vinyl also protected the tank coating (paint/plating) from rubbing off keeping it from rusting. The vinyl didn't really contribute to the rot problem. do your stringer job and put the vinyl under the tank back in.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2010 at 11:55pm
Pete what do you think about cutting the plywood similar to the grey box in the picture below? One piece that will support the platform mounts and the exhaust as well.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2010 at 11:59pm

Keegan,
The vinyl was under the tank as sort of a cushion between it and the glass. It helped keep the tank from sliding around if the straps loosed with time. The vinyl also protected the tank coating (paint/plating) from rubbing off keeping it from rusting. The vinyl didn't really contribute to the rot problem. do your stringer job and put the vinyl under the tank back in.

My tank was bolted down to the strips of wood and I am pretty sure my gas tank is solid stainless steel. Is that not the norm?

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 12:09am
The gas tank and the vinyl in question.

1973 Skier
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 9:32am
Your tank is aluminum and will clean up nicely. On later models, CC used 1/8" rubber pads where you have vinyl; probably to help with noise.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 1:31pm
i read an article that ethenol corrodes fiber glass????
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 1:53pm
Keegan,
I would question as to whether your tank is original or not considering the tank mounting. We've all see crazy things the factory did but I just don't think they would have set the tank on the vinyl covered 2x4's. I may be wrong and someone with the same era boat may chime in.

Just plan on using the same tank but when you do the stingers incorporate the mounting into that project.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 1:58pm

Pete what do you think about cutting the plywood similar to the grey box in the picture below? One piece that will support the platform mounts and the exhaust as well.

Thanks for the info guys. The more I learn the more questions I have...
Pete mentioned something about "Straps" coming loose on the gas tank? Mine did not have any straps around it. Can somebody please fill me in?

Secondly does it make sense to cut one piece of ply to reinforce the transom for the platform and exhaust as poorly illustrated in the picture above. I was thinking it would be easier to just do one and that it would add extra support. Any arguments against doing this?

Eric if you spill the shine on my boat you are out! Cut off! Interesting to know. Is this also true for epoxy resin?

1973 Skier
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 2:06pm
Both the Mustang and the Nautique had 2 1x3's across the stringers with some tread like tape. The edge of the tank has a lip that a 6 to 8 inch 1x3 perpindicular clamping the tank down on each side.

We discussed the idea of doing a piece of ply for the exhaust and deck supports just like you are showing. Still trying to figure out what to do. The ply that was glued to the transom for the swimdeck is exposed and still in great shape, probably from having air to dry. If I leave it in, I will CPES and cap it.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 2:08pm

Keegan,
I would question as to whether your tank is original or not considering the tank mounting. We've all see crazy things the factory did but I just don't think they would have set the tank on the vinyl covered 2x4's. I may be wrong and someone with the same era boat may chime in.

Just plan on using the same tank but when you do the stingers incorporate the mounting into that project.

That makes sense because a PO added the platform and they would have had to remove the gas tank to do so. What are the straps you refer to? Were the tanks held in there with some kind of tie downs?

Are you saying I should glass the tank mounts into the top of the stringers making them more a permanent fixture?

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 2:11pm
Keegan,
Straps were used on some of the earlier tanks. They were typically perforated steel "plumbers" straping. Many of the steel tanks had them. Your tank is self supporting so all you need is a level surface under the mounting feet incorporated into the stringers. Then, a rubber pad and bolts.

Sorry about the ply at the transom question! Yes, your plan looks good.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 2:11pm
Both of mine were Long Cruise 18 gal.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 2:13pm
FYI, there were no straps on my Ski Tique gas tank. The flanges at the ends were screwed down to the 1x3's that spanned across the stringers. The 1x3's were wrapped in some sorty of black vinyl.

Why not make a big rectangle backer instead of an L-shaped one? That would provide a backer for the lower platform bracket bolts as well.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 2:34pm
Tim it sounds like our tanks were fastened the same way. This is all good information. I don't see how I could just make the plywood a rectangle because to get down around the exhaust I have to put that L in it. Or maybe I am misunderstanding your concept...

Thanks guys!

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 3:57pm
I just got done sitting under there for an hour grinding and chiseling. One observation about using one big piece of wood is, at least on my 67, a pretty good curve back there. I would not be able to use the 3/4" thick that I was thinking of. I may leave mine as is.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

I just got done sitting under there for an hour grinding and chiseling. One observation about using one big piece of wood is, at least on my 67, a pretty good curve back there. I would not be able to use the 3/4" thick that I was thinking of. I may leave mine as is.

I was thinking about that too. There may be too much curve for one piece of wood. MOST of the things they did in this boat had a reason behind them. Then again some darn fool said "a wheel ain't quite good enough I think I can reinvent it". All he came up with were tires, but that is a vast improvement over stone. I should probably just stick to the plan.

1973 Skier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 11:29pm

I don't see how I could just make the plywood a rectangle because to get down around the exhaust I have to put that L in it. Or maybe I am misunderstanding your concept...

Keegan, like this:

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 12:09am
[QUOTE=WakeSlayer] Both the Mustang and the Nautique had 2 1x3's across the stringers with some tread like tape. The edge of the tank has a lip that a 6 to 8 inch 1x3 perpindicular clamping the tank down on each side.
QUOTE]

Mine was the same way except they used some pieces of that basket weave floor covering under the whole tank.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 26>
  Share Topic