Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

68 Chris Craft

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 8>
Author
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2008 at 4:42pm
A lot of it is covered, after looking at the pics again it appears most is gray but a couple of the upright frames were painted burgandy, probably where the pannels stopped. i would have a much better idea how it went together, if I were the one who took it apart...
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2008 at 10:43am
After spending a while at thanksgiving talking to my wifes Dad about the old Chris it appears it is a "skier" model. That is why the deck was covered in vinyl instead of finished wood. If it had been ordered as a super sport it would have had a better looking wood and interior package. I need to find some sales literature from 68 and do some more research.

On the correct craft side, he also told me quite a few stories about the Meloon boys and some of the overpowered wood boats they used to bring out to the lake and test flog. Sounded like quite an interesting period...
Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2008 at 12:52pm
Since I started this project there has been much debate at to the year of this boat. Everyone I talk to starts with they quite making those in 67. Enough so that I have been seeking more info about the production that year. After talking with Jack at the Wooden Boat Shop, he was able to confirm that it was in fact a 68. I got the following from him this morning...

Hi Sean,
In 1968 Chris Craft made three models They where a 17ft. (your boat) SS Ski Boat, a 17ft. Grand Prix of which they made 50, and a 20ft. Grand Prix of which they made 35. The two Grand Prix models had mahogany decks. They made the Super Sport models from 1963 thru 1967 in 17, 18, 20 and 21 ft. models.
                                                     Jack

He also said they only made 10 of the ski boats that year.

with a little luck we will start putting on the plywood bottom layer tonight and start planking over that next week.
Boat Pics
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2008 at 1:31pm
Sean,
Make sure you get some pictures posted when you get some of the ply down. I'm sure it will be of interest to many here that have never seen the process of doing a bottom on a wood boat.

Have you requested the build sheet copy from the Chris registry? Usually very detailed in exactly how the boat was built.

Interesting on the 68 model year. In my previous post and using Speltz's book as a reference I mentioned that 68's were all glass. I wonder if your hull was made in 67, held over in inventory and sold as a 68. Ether way, you have one of the very last!! The buid sheet will tell all.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2008 at 5:40pm
As of this point in time, I have only seen it in pictures! After tonight I should have some valuable experience and few less tubes of 5200 lying around...

I have not contacted the registry yet, every time i dive into the chris site it wants a membership that i just have not been in the mood to give yet.
Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2008 at 10:36am
Pete, I have run into a quandary of sorts as I get ready to plank.

reading Danenburgs book I need to soak the planks for 2 weeks then steam and apply. Talking with Jack Mccarthy, you should steam and install them without soaking. The CEPS is supposed to keep the boards from swelling once installed. Both of these guys seem pretty well informed but have a pretty fundamental difference in the approach.

What is your take? Ive been reading other forums all morning and am not finding a consensus yet...
Boat Pics
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2008 at 11:04am
Sean,
I've never soaked and just steamed. I don't see the logic in soaking ether. The steam is simply a means of heat transfer. It's really the heat that softens the lignums in the wood allowing it to flex. It's the reason you need to bend before it cools. Of course getting the plank on before cooling is always a problem. Maybe soaking will allow for more time. You are using the old planks correct? They should be pretty much pre bent. Steam only the end with the bend and fasten that end first. Have you been to Don's web site? Ask him the direct question in his forum.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2008 at 11:14am
I'm using all new wood on the bottom and sides. The sides are splitting with the grain probably from sitting dry for so long.

I have not spent much time on Dons site, for whatever reason I feel a little intimidated there as a novice. I fully expect the response, "you bought the book right? Read it again." I found a rather interesting article from a Boat club in southern ohio that had Don and Jack as guests debating methods, did not sound like they came to any agreement...

Maybe im just getting into one of those areas where everyone has a different opinion. Having not done this before, and not wanting to do it again i'm spending more time researching than doing...
Boat Pics
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2008 at 11:24am
Originally posted by 75 stang 75 stang wrote:

I have not spent much time on Dons site, for whatever reason I feel a little intimidated there as a novice. I fully expect the response, "you bought the book right? Read it again." ...

That's funny you mentioned this - I was just comming back to post a warning to you. If posting the question to Don, you should include the fact that you do have his book and have read it!!! I too have noticed that he does get pissed at times. He doesn't like to hear someone doesn't have the book!

I hope you do have some extra wood. Bending wood really is a process that has a large "learning curve". Start with the simple bends it get comfortable.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2008 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Sean,
Make sure you get some pictures posted when you get some of the ply down. I'm sure it will be of interest to many here that have never seen the process of doing a bottom on a wood boat.

Yes, please do!

Also guys, a couple of questions...
What website are you speaking of?
Would Danenburg's book be of help for me restoring the '64 Atom?

75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2008 at 2:41pm
The book is not specific to one brand of boat so yes it would be worth the read. I picked it up on Amizon. I think i read the bottom on the Atom is done differently but most types of construction are addressed somewhere in the book.
Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2008 at 2:55pm
I went a pulled out the boxes of guages this morning so i could send them out for refacing. Thats going to be the wifes birthday/valentines day present. Gotta love a gal that appriciates a good present!

Anyway she was giving me hell about rebuilding her 283 and how i better not have done anything to change the sound of the motor... The hour meter reads 957 hours. It was in nice shape yet but it was definatly time to freshen it up while it was out.
Boat Pics
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2008 at 7:33pm
[QUOTE=75 stang]

Anyway she was giving me hell about rebuilding her 283 and how i better not have done anything to change the sound of the motor... QUOTE]

Now there's a CCFemale!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2008 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

[QUOTE=75 stang]

Anyway she was giving me hell about rebuilding her 283 and how i better not have done anything to change the sound of the motor... QUOTE]

Now there's a CCFemale!

Sean,
Watch out! Jbear will want pictures of her next or has he already asked you!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2008 at 1:56pm

Sean,
Watch out! Jbear will want pictures of her next or has he already asked you!!!

Asked and answered...

She does like them to talk! I even put flowmasters and an H pipe on her Mustang GT
Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2008 at 10:53am

Sean,

I put the ply on last night, first experiance with the white 5200. Looks a little like Sunday morning at the Brothel but it should not leak and from what ive read ought to strengthen it a bunch. With a little luck i should start steaming planks tomorrow and dry fitting the bottom. ill stop in today and catch up the pics since i forgot the camera yesterday...
Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2008 at 12:29pm

Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2008 at 11:23am
I spent the miserably cold Sunday in the warm shop learning how to fit and steam boards. I was able to get all but the outside row fit and fastened, dry fit, last night. With a little luck next weekend i will remove them, bed them in the 5200 and attach the bottom planking for the final time.

Boat Pics
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2008 at 1:28pm
I don't know which I like more- the nice clean work area or the craftmanship on the boat. The guys around me with clean shops never seem to produce. You're making progress AND have a clean shop.
Keep the pictures coming, I'm enjoying them.
70 Mustang project
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2008 at 8:56am
Sean,
Looking good!! I see you got the steam bending figured out. I'm glad to see you're not fitting the bottom planking tight. Did you go with Danenbergs soaking method before steaming? Without directly asking him, the only advantage I can think of with soaking is it would add some moisture to the wood so the steaming doesn't dry it out as much. It also may swell the wood slightly in dry conditions giving you truer to usage fit between the planking but that's a crap shoot. I'd rather go with a moisture meter.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2008 at 12:47pm
Pete, I think I cursed myself last week, I ended up stranded on the freeway the otherday and i thought about the comments i made.....its one of those i shouldve done it myself cause the knucklehead that works for us broke the plastic clip on the throttle body and didnt tell me....thank god for zipties the problem was i had to call a friend for a flashlight...it was 10 frickin degrees
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2008 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

its one of those i shouldve done it myself cause the knucklehead that works for us broke the plastic clip

Eric - show your employee (or Ex-employee) this saying, author unknown:

It's easier to do the job right than to explain to your boss why you didn't . . .

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2008 at 10:04am
nature of the beast snob, they come back from lunch with the red eye syndrome and giggling, I told them the other day if you ever get hurt here Ill make em piss test you and workers comp wont cover your a-s
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 1:00am
The soaking is to add the moisture back into the boards. I did not do it on the bottom given the gap between boards and the 5200 between them. I may decide to soak the side boards a little once i establish the moisture content in them prior to the cpes.

We took the bottom all off again tonight and will seal them tomorrow and start the final install wed morning. Hopefully by the end of thursday it will start looking like a finished bottom...minus the paint.

Boat Pics
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 10:22am
Sean, besides all the whacky comments I post, I read every word and look at every picture and I have to say that your a soldier, and your project is coming along and I am learning as you go. Im still trying to figure out that contraption on the horses
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 10:56am
Sean - Me too on the contraption - what are you using as a steam source?

Ben Franklin
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 12:10pm
I built a steam generator out of a piece of 2" pipe with a 220 volt water heater element in it. That is a Danenburg design, i added a livestock self filling watering device to keep the water level up. I took a 12" pvc pipe and fit it over the top of the generator to trap the steam. You put the boards in the tube to keep them warm, it also doubles as a humidifier and heater inthe shop...

I think i can use the wood pipe stand for an old skool wakeboard tower when I'm done!

Im getting the beer and 5200 around today while I seal everything with the CPES so we can install the bottom tomorrow. More pictures coming.

I'm learing to tig weld this morning, building a custom dry sump oil tank for another project then back to the wood. Id still rather weld any day than work with wood...
Boat Pics
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 8:45pm
Sean that's awesome. Looks like a great hobby. You'll be the envey of the lake when finished!
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2008 at 11:32am
Im off to caulk the bottom, pictures will follow tonight or tomorrow if its late...

made me think of this skit from SNL...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag6ZLSW_dD8

Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2008 at 9:02pm

I got the bottom on before the end of the year, that was the goal. I need to start filling screw holes with famowood friday and get it ready to sand and paint but the worst should be behind us now. the sides look much easier. its 6pm and I am headed home for a shower and out to ring in the new year.

There are a few more pics on the photobucket site in the sig, but not much more.

Later
Boat Pics
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 8>
  Share Topic