NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cool Tool Alert - Needle scaler

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2015 at 12:12am
[QUOTE=Gary S] In reality neither one of you need to spend more than 2K on a compressor unless your doing it for bragging rights. /QUOTE]
The Curtis I'm getting is below 2K.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2015 at 12:06am
In reality neither one of you need to spend more than 2K on a compressor unless your doing it for bragging rights. This little Sears of mine has sanded and painted cars,boats,tractors, run a bead cabinet and misc air tools for 21 years. The down side is the noise from high rpm direct drive. If I had to do it all over again I get a belt driven low speed one just to keep the noise down

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2015 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Quincy's are advertised as US made

Quincy was on my list until I started looking into them farther. The advertising loophole is they are assembled in the US but use some off shore components. The compressor itself is Chinese and uses aluminum pistons. Being real up and close with 550 Hp of compressor at the plant gave me some great inside information.

Here's something I also found on Quincy's own website:
"In 2004, we expanded into Kunshan, China,"

BTW, my real first choice (Joel you'll love this with your love for German equipment) is a Kaiser 5 HP rotary screw but, $$$$$$$

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2015 at 10:36pm
Pete- good to know. I'm not screwing around at all on the next compressor. It will be a zero compromise machine. The 30 gal was a nice warm-up exercise.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2015 at 9:53pm
Quincy's are advertised as US made
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2015 at 9:27pm
Joel,
I remember when you were out shopping for a compressor deciding on the 30 gal. I'm glad it worked out for you. I also remember discussing the importance of the CFM rating and not the peak HP's people are being fooled into believing. Yup, 230 will be your next step. Again, watch out!! I happen to be shopping for a compressor for my shop as it's the only big item still needed. There are only 2 manufacturers in the USA that are still around making decent units. The rest are off shore and mostly Chinese. Again, look at the CFM but also the HP since many are rated using the service factor of the motor. Looking at the name plate amps of the motor then comparing that to the NEC HP/amps will tell you if the service factor is being used. I decided on a FS Curtis rated at 17.8 CFM on a 80 gal tank with a true 5 HP. The decision revolved pretty much around 3 things. It's made in the USA, all cast iron including the pistons and shipping which can be big $$$. I can buy the Curtis on line through Home Depot and then the shipping to the Rhinelander H/D will be free.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2015 at 8:27pm
You know, not too bad as far as CFM. Certainly had my 30gal Oiled compressor cycling but the amount of work per CFM is insane. A zip here, a zip there, huge amounts of work accomplished per blast! I'd say it uses less air than my die grinder or cutoff wheel FWIW.

That said, it's time to get the big-dog compressor soon and go up to 22oV.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2015 at 8:21pm
Joel,
You had better check the CFM on your air compressor!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2015 at 8:14pm
I'm sure Pete knows what this is but I had no idea this tool existed. And it's SO. COOL.

I was just cleaning up the corrosion on my hitch and this thing just blasts off the rust and scale buildup effortlessly. So fun. Probably going to hit some areas on the frame just to keep up with the corrosion here in the salt belt. Can't wait.

Looks like this in use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJRf6zrulC4

Friggin' 30 bucks at HF Needle Scaler at HF
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic