NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1968 Mustang Resto-mod Jax, FL

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 78910>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2014 at 9:13am
Looks much better. Would you mind grabbing some stringer width dimensions for us? Centerline to centerline on the mains and secondaries would be great (I assume they stay a constant width front to back).
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2014 at 2:15am
I got in some more grinding time and then gave everything a good rinse.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 6:59pm
Well finished grinding the bilge today and did a little cleanup.

Then I decided to take a look at the shaft thru hull fitting that was delaminating in the back.

OOOOPPPPSSS! Hope that is not a bad thing.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2014 at 3:22am
Just got this sexy carb back today. Remanufactured by All American Carburators. Lifetime warranty.   

turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2014 at 2:00pm
lol, nice goggles.

Keep it up!!
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2014 at 7:38pm
Lots more grinding.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2014 at 11:50pm
Just got some nice Bling back from the powder coat shop.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2014 at 10:44pm
The carpet glue battle is over. I lost 1 grinder and blew through 6 grinding pads. Now I get to do it all over again to remove paint an gelcoat. Woo Hoo.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2014 at 12:41am
It's a slow grind. Carpet glue REALLY sucks.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2014 at 4:51pm
I got a few things done on Friday.

The foam is now all out. Rub rail and ski platform brackets removed. Just a few thru hull fittings and on to grinding.

I also picked up my motor mounting bracket. Its a pull from a junked CC. It test fitted perfectly. I might have to do a little ninja magic to get ski pole right.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2014 at 9:14pm
All the foam is chopped out! I can also add that a Rockwell Sonic crafter will cut through fiberglass like butter.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2014 at 8:40pm
Doesn't look too bad,I see the foam is still white
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2014 at 8:26pm
Today's progress. Dig, dig, dig.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2014 at 9:19pm
IEEEEEE!!!

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2014 at 7:44pm
WOW, right now I can only dream of the day my boat will look so nice.

The shop that is rebuilding my engine has been doing CC work for many years. I think the engine is going on a bracket that came out of a Ski Nautique. Same for the battery box, he has one out of a Ski Tique.

For right now all I can say is YUCK!

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2014 at 1:31am
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2014 at 12:51am
With the exception of the stringers this is how it will probably
look it will be interesting to see how the seacast will work,
any idea how you will bolt the motor mounts down?

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2013 at 11:55pm
The floor pan was beyond help. Had many cracks, chips, repairs, screwholes. This boat lived in FL and must have seen many long hard seasons. It's tired.

Im going to cut out the layer of glass over the foam and remove all the foam.

Going to cut out secondary stringers. Then grind every square inch of glass. I will cut the top glass over primary stringers, remove wood and repair any damage to fiberglass channels.

The stringers will be poured with Seacast. Then they will be tabbed in with 2 layers of 1708 biax.   All other wood will be replaced with I think it's called duracore. A dense black foam between two layers of fiberglass board. Then sides and any exposed hull will get a layer of 1708.

Battery holder is going to move to forward center.

That's as far ahead as I can think right now.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2013 at 11:11pm
looks like someone sistered some replacement wood in the motor area,and broke off your floor pan. What are your plans,you replacing the stringers and using a ply floor? Too bad about the pan,I think they were one of the best ideas for these models
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2013 at 10:59pm
Engine is out and at the rebuilder. Transmission also. Shaft is straight. Now comes some itchy, dirty work.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2013 at 9:38pm
I spent another couple of hours today breaking out foam and made a good bit of progress.

When I removed the gas tank I noticed that the clamp that holds the hose to the filler neck on the gas tank was loose. I didn't really give it much thought. Well when I dug out that corner, there was at least a quart of gasoline that was saturating the foam . I guess it was splashing out and running down the sides.

I grabbed my respirator, fire extinguisher and some rags to clean up that mess. SCARY! I am pretty sure there won't be any foam going back under the gas tank!

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2013 at 2:16pm
Started Diggin' H'mm I hit water...

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2013 at 8:31pm
Lots more work on the boat interior today. Everything is mostly stripped and the engine is ready to pull.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2013 at 12:10am
Well the engine cover is just about done, just needs a little more compounding.

On to the boat! I have pulled most of the hardware. The gas tank, gauges, carpet and moving on to engine disassembly.

Here is where I left it this evening.

Any ideas where I should send my velvet drive transmission for rebuild?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 10:29am
Nice job on the pad, you should think about building an actual 1 car garage on top of that slab after putting all that work into it.
1970 Mustang
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 6:06am
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

What powerplant is in the 68?

Most likely would be a Interceptor SBF 289.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 1:39am
I'll be watching this, my 351w has blowby and I want to rebuild it myself this winter. What powerplant is in the 68?
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2013 at 1:37pm
Small update.

After deciding there were just too many little problems with the Mustang to run it it this year, I have started toward the restoration process. The first step was to have a place to work on the boat.

After 3 days of work and 127 bags of concrete, I am much closer to that goal!

Here is a pic of the boats new home. A few more tarps for sides and I should be good to go.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 10:56am
They definitely do!
1970 Mustang
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 12:25am
yea they kinda grow on you
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 78910>
  Share Topic