Print Page | Close Window

How far foward on trailer ?

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: Common Questions
Forum Discription: Visit here first for common questions regarding your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9773
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 8:25pm

Topic: How far foward on trailer ?
Posted By: critter
Subject: How far foward on trailer ?
Date Posted: March-04-2008 at 7:00pm
I have no bow stop on my 80SN. Not sure how
the previous owner loaded without hitting the
trailer jack.

I look across the rear of the trailer and see
that the Prop is even with the end of the
trailer frame rails. If I consider the engine
position, it is forward of the axle by about
a foot. Not sure if engine represents center
of weight.

Is this correct ? Or should it be more off the
rear of the trailer. I know that it will go
no farther forward. Just want to build the
bow stop at the correct position.
Or does anyone out there have an old bow stop
that they are not using ?

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Replies:
Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: March-04-2008 at 7:08pm
Roger, it sounds like its too far forward. The Skier we just bought was a similar in that the motor seemed to be centered about a foot forward of the axle. This made for a VERY heavy tongue weight- it took 3 guys to lift. You want tongue weight to be 10% of the total boat+trailer weight, or roughly 250-300 lbs. You should be able to lift it by yourself.

If I had to guess, I would say that the engine should be just forward (a few inches) of being centered on the axle.

I might be interested in a newer style bowstop as well, if anyone has a few lying around!

-------------

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: March-04-2008 at 7:10pm
Roger, To determine the position, move the boat until you have 10% of the gross weight of the trailer and boat on the tongue. You can use a bathroom scale under the tongue. So, if the boat and trailer weighs 3000lbs, then you want 300lbs on the tongue. Sometimes trailers are set up with less than 10% but if you go any less than about 8%, you will be taking the chance that the trailer will not track correctly and fishtail.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-04-2008 at 7:19pm
Damn Tim!! Again! I need to learn to type faster.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-04-2008 at 7:27pm
Thanks guys,

I will find where the wife HID the bathroom
scales and position the boat on the trailer
as you both suggested.

Thanks again,
   Roger

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: March-04-2008 at 8:20pm
Tim,

What do you consider NEW syle bow stops. Post a pic if you can.

-------------

Date Posted: March-04-2008 at 8:33pm
Not speaking for Tim,

I was thinking about building something
like this one :

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=239 - http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=239

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Date Posted: March-04-2008 at 8:39pm
I was thinking of the same style as Roger:

The rounded top is more asthetically pleasing, though the square topped version would still be more functional than the style that's on the Skier trailer currently.

-------------

Date Posted: March-04-2008 at 8:57pm
I was thinking that I could build this out of a chainlink fence top rail.
Make the necessary bends for the top and base and then weld it all together.
Looks like they are mounted to the trailer using U bolts over the frame.
I figure that this would not rust and could be painted if desired.

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Date Posted: March-04-2008 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

I was thinking that I could build this out of a chainlink fence top rail.
Make the necessary bends for the top and base and then weld it all together.
Looks like they are mounted to the trailer using U bolts over the frame.
I figure that this would not rust and could be painted if desired.

That's pretty much how they're made Roger, on the u bolts you can slide a piece of flexible tube over them so they don't scratch the paint on the trailer, that will help prevent rusting as well. That's what I did with my jack stand and spare tire carrier bolts.

Tim, I don't think I could make that continous bend at the top, the mandrels on my bender have a much tighter radius but it could be done with curved 90's at the corners with a short run between.   Won't look quite right but you know me, I get bored easy so if you want me to tackle it let me know.

-------------

Date Posted: March-04-2008 at 9:16pm
Ok, on second look at the link Roger posted there is a flat section on the top so they could be made fairly easily. Let me know.

-------------

Date Posted: March-04-2008 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

so they could be made fairly easily. Let me know.

Is this saying the you might be willing to take on building these ?

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Date Posted: March-04-2008 at 9:42pm

Let me figure out what the pipe is going to cost and maybe we can get you setup. Tim, I'll copy you if you want in let me know. We could easily ship them to you or you could pick them up at Green Lake in july if you don't mind waiting. Critter, please keep in mind this is my hobby so I can't gaurantee how fast I could make them up. First things first, I'll get you a price and we'll go from there.

-------------

Date Posted: March-04-2008 at 9:52pm
Thanks Alan,
Just your considering this deserves a big thank you. I expect nothing at this juncture.
I was considering getting my son to work one up. He is a better welder than I am.
I fed him for many years and it is time for payback

If it works out, I too would be interested in picking up in Green Lake.
Naturally, would pay when requested, but would not ask to ship.

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Date Posted: March-04-2008 at 9:58pm
Be careful with considering chain link top rail pipe. It is scd. 10 and very light. I don't think it would hold up especially if you do any power loading.

Alan, You did use scd. 40 pipe with your bender? Correct? The 40 is what was used by the factory.

Roger, scd 40 pipe is standard black pipe from the hardware store.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-04-2008 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Roger, scd 40 pipe is standard black pipe from the hardware store.

Better call my son and tell him to start eating them Weaties.. Cheerios are not going to do it.

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Date Posted: March-04-2008 at 10:15pm

Let me figure out what the pipe is going to cost and maybe we can get you setup. Tim, I'll copy you if you want in let me know. We could easily ship them to you or you could pick them up at Green Lake in july if you don't mind waiting. Critter, please keep in mind this is my hobby so I can't gaurantee how fast I could make them up. First things first, I'll get you a price and we'll go from there.

Man, Alan- dont you have enough projects going!? I would definitely be interested if you decide to make a run. If not, no big deal! Pick up at GL would be fine by me- no rush.

After seeing the trailer guides, I have no doubt if you decide to make these, that they will turn out great!

-------------

Date Posted: March-04-2008 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

After seeing the trailer guides, I have no doubt if you decide to make these, that they will turn out great!

Trailer Guides.. what Trailer Guides ? I searched the Forums and found many hits on trailer guides but nothing on someone making them.
I called Overtons today and they have 48" guides but you now have my interest here.

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Date Posted: March-05-2008 at 12:29am

Trailer Guides.. what Trailer Guides ? I searched the Forums and found many hits on trailer guides but nothing on someone making them.
I called Overtons today and they have 48" guides but you now have my interest here.

The aftermarket stuff is crap , you need some magicman specials Take a look at page 3 http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8941&PN=3&TPN=1 - trailer guides . here's the deal with the guides, I can bend a set for you but I don't want to cut and weld on the flanges as I'm not sure how they fit on the different trailers. If you can take care of that part let me know and I'll make them up. $30 a set plus UPS shipping. I sent 2 sets to Connecticut and it cost $24 so that's not too bad.

Pete, yes I did use the scd40 black pipe, it actually bends better than the thin wall as the heavy walls are self supporting during bending. The thin wall stuff kinks badly.

Guys, here's what I'm going to do, I'll make up a bow stop and see how it turns out. If acceptable I'll sell them at cost + a few hours of work and a beer at Green lake and make a donation to the site. Can't promise when but certainly before skiing season sets in cause I won't be hanging around the garage much longer.

-------------

Date Posted: March-05-2008 at 12:45am
Critter, Here's a pretty good shot of where my boat sits on the trailer. You can see that my bow stop is welded on from the factory and the stern of the boat is dead even with the end of the trailer rails. Puts the engine just inches forward of the axle. I agree with the others though, if you can adjust your stop point then weigh the tongue and you can get it perfect. I haven't even towed with this trailer yet but I'm hoping the factory got it right.

-------------

Date Posted: March-05-2008 at 1:17am
Alan,
That is one good lookin Boat & Trailer.

Thanks for the heads up on the aftermarket stuff. That is what I needed to hear before I purchased anything.

I will have a look at the link and then let you know about the Guides. I (and my son) can weld so if nothing else, may pick up the pipes from you while in Green Lake. The more I pick up while there, the better of a trip it will be for me...

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: March-05-2008 at 1:20am
What a awesome lookin' set-up Alan!

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Date Posted: March-05-2008 at 1:23am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

What a awesome lookin' set-up Alan!

john

Thanks John, It's finally finished. New wheels, striping is done, guides installed, etc. I'll get some updated photos posted as soon as the sun comes out

-------------

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: March-05-2008 at 1:37am
Alan,Tim or anyone else I have a late '68 early '69 #2 trailer with the factory bow stop that is some what like here-
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/reference/1963_brochure/index.asp?page=04
It's bolted on with the U bolts.Would you like some pic's and measurements?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: March-05-2008 at 1:42am
Ok, you sold me.
I really like the ones you made for Tim.
I can do the welding and mounting.

You use PayPal ?
I can pay you for the Guides in advance and just pick them up in Green Lake if it works for you.
As for the Bow Stops, I am in. When you need the contribution"s", let me know.

My dad is a retired Electrician. Has a ton of tools. Next time I see him, I have to ask if he has a thick wall conduit bender. Looks like one of those can come in handy.

Thanks for working with me on this. I really appreciate all the information. I plan on positioning the boat on the trailer correctly this weekend.

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Date Posted: March-05-2008 at 2:09am
Alan; I posted to ya on the "Shows on tv" thread...did you see it?

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Posted By: Kristof
Date Posted: March-05-2008 at 5:52am

If I had to guess, I would say that the engine should be just forward (a few inches) of being centered on the axle.

Tim,

I have a double axle trailer, so should the engine be just forward of the middle of the two axles? It's too much forward now and we are going to work on the trailer this weekend.

-------------
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: March-05-2008 at 6:56am
[QUOTE=TRBenj] You want tongue weight to be 10% of the total boat+trailer weight, or roughly 250-300 lbs. You should be able to lift it by yourself.

Pump me up Hans!

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: tullfooter
Date Posted: March-05-2008 at 10:04am

That is one fine looking rig.
Now you need a white 81' F-150 to pull it.

Steve

-------------
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Date Posted: March-06-2008 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

Tim,

I have a double axle trailer, so should the engine be just forward of the middle of the two axles? It's too much forward now and we are going to work on the trailer this weekend.

Kristoff, I would say yes- whatever gets you to 10% tongue weight.

-------------

Date Posted: March-08-2008 at 9:17pm
Roger, Your trailer guides are ready. If you want me to ship them to you it's no big deal as I have a regular UPS pickup everyday at the shop. mailto:acote13@yahoo.com - email your address and I'll get you a cost. No need to wait til July to get them.

Also, could you post a photo of your boat from the side, to me it looks like it's too far forward. Do you know if that's a #2 or #3 trailer?

-------------

Date Posted: March-08-2008 at 11:09pm
Thanks Alan,
I have emailed you my address and phone #.

I know that it is too far forward on the trailer. But currently, there is nothing to stop it when loading. There is a check and shackle that attaches to the bow eye.
I plan on launching it when it gets a bit warmer and will correctly postion it on the trailer. 10% tongue weight as you guys mentioned.
Then I will see what I can do to keep it positioned correctly.

Thanks again,
Roger

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Posted By: nc2001
Date Posted: March-09-2008 at 11:15am
anyway you could bend up another set for me????

Posted By: Kristof
Date Posted: March-09-2008 at 1:15pm

Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

Tim,

Kristoff, I would say yes- whatever gets you to 10% tongue weight.

Well Tim, as you maybe have seen in the "Hang 'em up" topic, we did the work last weekend, and tested everything... All works fine now, even though it isn't a CC-trailer.

-------------
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Date Posted: March-09-2008 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by nc2001 nc2001 wrote:

anyway you could bend up another set for me????

Jon or anybody interested, I would be happy to bend up a set of trailer guides for anyone that needs them. Here are the details, I am only providing the 2 pipes, you would have to cut them to width and length, and then weld on the flanges to mount them to your trailer. I'd love to be able to make complete sets but I think there are many variations of these trailers and I don't want to have any issues with them not fitting correctly. The bends I came up with seem to fit my boat well and that is what I would provide. Here are a few pics.

I will provide 2 pipes with about 8" of pipe at the bottom so you can custom fit them for your application. There are 2 sets in this photo, the flange material I used is 3/8"x 2" but I will not supply that as I'm not cutting any more of that stuff by hand, my metal working tools are minimal. Any hardware store will have it.

Here is my finished product. I've left these a little tall to accomodate steep ramps but I may trim them back once I launch a few times.

Here's what the flange looks like, I cut 6" off of mine to fit.

Anyone interested please send me an email with your address and I'll tell you what shipping will cost and where you can send your check.

-------------

Date Posted: March-09-2008 at 2:07pm

Thanks Alan,
I have emailed you my address and phone #.

Thanks again,
Roger

Got it, I'll get you shipping cost monday.

-------------

Posted By: rleinen79
Date Posted: March-09-2008 at 3:17pm
That trailer looks really great....lets see some more pics.

Rob

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7744" rel="nofollow - 2006 Ski 206
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1123" rel="nofollow - 97 SNOB

Date Posted: March-10-2008 at 12:26am
Originally posted by rleinen79 rleinen79 wrote:

That trailer looks really great....lets see some more pics.

Rob

Agreed! Love the details I can see in the above pics. Lets see the whole thing!

-------------

Posted By: skicat
Date Posted: March-12-2008 at 12:19am
Alan,

I took some pictures & got some dimensions of my bow stop tonight. It is not put on my trailer yet, so you can see it pretty well. Here are the pictures & tomorrow when I get to work, I will draw it up with the dimensions. They do have the pywood pads to go on it. They are 6" wide x 18" tall & 3/4" plywood. Let me know if you need anything else.

I could use a set of the trailer guides sent to Duluth GA 30097. Let me know the cost & I will get you the funds if you can do them. No rush on mine!

-------------
Greg

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2427&yrstart=1981&yrend=1985" rel="nofollow - 86 BFN

Date Posted: March-12-2008 at 12:29am
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

I could use a set of the trailer guides sent to Duluth GA 30097. Let me know the cost & I will get you the funds if you can do them. No rush on mine!

Greg, Dimensions on the stop would be awesome, I've got the time to make a few of these up in the next few weeks. I'll get you a shipping cost for the guides tommorrow.

Thanks again.

-------------

Date Posted: March-12-2008 at 12:38am
Greg, Thanks for providing this info to Alan.
This is really appreciated.

Roger

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Date Posted: March-12-2008 at 2:49am
Nice job Greg...looks super. Did you do them yourself? Very talented.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Posted By: keegan99usa
Date Posted: March-12-2008 at 2:59pm
Here is what I ended up doing for my trailer. It was off a Malibu, so I had a lot of modifications to make. I simly copied the CC trailer.
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2748&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990
Dan

-------------
Is it Summer yet??

Date Posted: March-12-2008 at 4:25pm
Here is a drawing of the bow stop. It is drawn for a 11" x 17" print size, but you can read it ok at 8 1/2" x 11". Let me know if you need any more dimensions.

uploads/bowstop.ZIP - bowstop.ZIP

-------------
Greg

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2427&yrstart=1981&yrend=1985" rel="nofollow - 86 BFN

Date Posted: March-12-2008 at 4:34pm

Here is a drawing of the bow stop. It is drawn for a 11" x 17" print size, but you can read it ok at 8 1/2" x 11". Let me know if you need any more dimensions.

Looks like we're in bidness, guess I better get to work, Thanks again

-------------

Date Posted: March-12-2008 at 10:46pm

Now this is just too cool
Let it be said that you guys are the "BEST"

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Date Posted: March-17-2008 at 12:12pm

Alan,

Greg, I sent you an email on the guides but it bounced back. Shipping cost to GA is $14 and I have a set ready to ship today. Let me know that you still want them and I'll get them out asap.

AA

-------------

Date Posted: March-17-2008 at 1:41pm
Alan,

I just sent you an email. Let me know if you don't get it. I will take a set of the guides. Thanks for bending me a set.

-------------
Greg

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: March-17-2008 at 4:04pm
Since it is tubing and being bent it is better to dimention the inside radius as that is what you need to know. Otherwise you have to subtract the tubing O.D. to figure it out.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: March-17-2008 at 5:48pm
I hav nevr met Alan, but I think he is a smart enouf guy to figr out subtratin 1 3/4" from 8" or 6".

-------------
Greg

Posted By: emccallum
Date Posted: April-04-2008 at 1:04am
Just goofing aound and came across this...when I made my trailer guides I welded the top and bottom of the post to keep water out of them. AIR the original guides had a hole in the botom to let moisture out...mine must have clogged and they rusted away, even though the trailer was in great shape.

Date Posted: April-04-2008 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

Just goofing aound and came across this...when I made my trailer guides I welded the top and bottom of the post to keep water out of them. AIR the original guides had a hole in the botom to let moisture out...mine must have clogged and they rusted away, even though the trailer was in great shape.

That set looks like originals , nice work. On your comment of capping the tops I agree. I capped mine a little bit differently though. I welded a nut to a large washer and welded the washer to the guide top. That allowed me to put bolt and bushing down through the PVC cap so when the boat rubs on the port guide when unloading the pvc and cover roll instead of drag. I'm hoping this will extent the life of my guide covers.

-------------

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: April-04-2008 at 1:28pm
Alan,

Your setup sound nice, The guides on my trailer are PVC over the metal pipe, they are a bit low and are somewhat close together, whenever launching I slide the PVC up a bit so the top does not end up under the rub rail which can occur on a steep ramp, I also remove my decorative trailer guide pads or they just get destroyed from the rub rail.

Also, my gas caps are both exactly next to the guides which makes filling up on the trailer a bit challenging, usually need to remove the PVC cover to make just enough room to get the pump nozzle into the filler, PITA.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Print Page | Close Window