Forum Name: Off Topic
Forum Discription: Anything non-Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9026
Printed Date: May-03-2024 at 2:24pm

Topic: AT&T project Lightspeed
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Subject: AT&T project Lightspeed
Date Posted: November-20-2007 at 7:20pm
I know we have several phone employee members here so I thought I would bring this up. There is a rather large article in todays Chicago Tribune about project Lightspeed. Evidently the equipment enclosures are on the LARGE side and it has quite a lot of people upset. It's one of those "not in my front yard" problems. Several villages are stating that there is nothing that can be done because it is within AT&T's contract that they can put the equipment anywhere they want!!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Replies:
Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: November-20-2007 at 10:02pm
Pete,thanks for the heads up,I haven't seen it yet.Not knowing what the article says it's hard to comment.What I do know is there is only one per neighborhood,usually very close to the main cross connect box(called a SAC, can't for the life of me remember what that stands for,and was working in 4 of them today) and they are about the same size,3' wide 5' high, depending on the density of the area.The villages are correct,the state passed a bill that the Illinois Commerce Commission has control,before that bill,the company would have had to get agreements with every village and pay each of them a fee.My cable bill just went up again and I'm losing another channel,that makes 4 this year,so it will be good to give them a run for the money.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-20-2007 at 10:28pm
Gary, I found the article in the Trib on line. Here's the link:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-lightspeed_20nov20,1,655556.story?coll=chi_news_local_mezz&ctrack=1&cset=true - bulky boxes

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: November-21-2007 at 12:21am
Or if you get a paper it is in the Metro section. I am also excited to see a little competition however would not be too happy if one of those things ended up in my yard.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: November-21-2007 at 1:44am
I agree with you Chris, but you know how money talks,. bs walks.In the last 6 yrs the wires in front of my house have doubled,so as I look out over the Fox,I see electric,cable,phone and now fiber for the lightspeed cabinet a mile down the road.The road behind me about 1/2 mile away,mostly farm land everything is buried.Yet if I complained you think I'd make the Trib? Barrington Hills is the same way,they complain about bad cell coverage,but want no towers and complain about no DSL but don't want the boxes.By the way these boxes are called V Rad's and the last house on the line can be no farther than 3000 ft. A couple in Texas have had the batteries explode and catch on fire, another reason not to have one in your yard.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: November-21-2007 at 7:19pm
Gary; Had to "LOL" as to your SAC comment. We also called them "BD boxes" and I don't know why ...on either of them.

My partner was a computer wiz and he and I ended up doing a fair amount of the mait in RT's and CEV's. I guess it sounds now like everyone is gonna get one of these in their yard or maybe their neighbor's. Sounds like lotsa work coming up to me. It'll be "nice clean electrical work" as we jokingly (sp?) used to say. Better than sitting in a pit or a manhole.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Posted By: tullfooter
Date Posted: November-21-2007 at 8:11pm
Hey,
Don't be knockin manholes!
I think all cabling should be under ground. It is more astetically pleasing and it is more business for our company.
I like to say, any day on top of the grass is a good day, but if your under the grass, I hope your in one of our manholes.
(Am I setting myself up, or what?)

Steve

-------------
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Date Posted: November-22-2007 at 12:12am
Hey Steve; You know I am not knocking manholes...made lotsa money underground...but I am sure not in yours...only leaky ones.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: November-22-2007 at 2:33am
John alot of those jobs are already been taken by people who had been let go and the union got back,guy's like the Ameritech pbx, Meridan? system installer and repairmen.They are not going to take us guy's we know too much.My thoughts are when the calls come in at 6pm that my tv dosen't work,the company will want someone who can go out and get it up and running with the least fuss,guy's that have been there done that.You can put the old coin dept guy's out checking batteries.These v rads bypass any cev's & rt's,that fiber comes right out of the office and direct to the v rad.The phone service comes into the sac just like it always did,either copper,DPG or PG then the x connect is made to the v rad block,then goes out to it then the video is "injected" and then returnes to the sac and is x conned to the f2 to go to the house.These new hires I told you about last week,will install the systems in the house and trouble shoot the vrads and the house.When they prove the trouble outside,thats where we come in.Some sac's have to be upgraded,many of those newer 1/4 turn self stripers don't have the proper amount of twists in the blocks and have to be changed and oddley enough those old 3M punch down boxes are being left in place,they are ok.I guess you guy's did a good job of putting them in.A big money maker will be when a locator removes a bond,the signal will be lost for as long as that bond is off.
Now that we have bored everyone here,how did the Homestead trip go? Oh and by the way it's starting to snow out

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-22-2007 at 4:53am
Well going in reverse order....I am sorry it is snowing out. 82 here today..shorts and T's at work as usual. Turkey tomorrow and footin' with Eddie on friday and probably saturday.

Homestead was...well...different. I am glad I went, glad I took my friend from Church who otherwise would not have been able to go due to age and health...but I don't ever have to go again. Way to many people for this guy. And I have NEVER seen a grandstand so huge! Cars were loud and fast. Kinda just watched 'em go around in a circle. Did I say how many people were there? Lots!

I never liked the 1/4 turn boxes...thought the punch downs were lots better. That cable you maintain is gonna have to be pretty clean to carry this signal I would suppose And no bonds=no service?! Boy are they in trouble in Ohio...plenty of guys had no idea why the bond was there...just thought it was a piece of wire in the way. So it goes from the UG pair to the v-rad block out and back from the v-rad and then c/c again to the air to the house. Is there a footage limit on how far you can push the signal? Of course if you are only pushing from the box to the house you have cut way down on the distance. Man it all sounds interesting....wish I could ride around with ya for a few days...in the summer of course!

Have a great Holiday. Plenty of guys working those 2 days to get the premium pay I bet.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: November-22-2007 at 2:50pm
Hollywood, now you really know how Jbear feels

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: November-23-2007 at 12:28am
What? Did I miss HW asking about something?

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: November-23-2007 at 9:07am
John, It's was HW's comment about you not understanding some of the engine tech talk. Now it's Erik turn not understanding phone tech talk!!!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-23-2007 at 10:52am
I always thought they color coded those little wires like kids crayons, that way j-bear really couldnt screw up
Pete, you got it

-------------

Date Posted: November-23-2007 at 11:46am
Eric- I know your kidding John but you'd be surprised how tough a job it is-You see most splicers are color blind Hardest part of the job is the weather and setup is all important.Luckily your not doing cable cuts every day,usually only Friday afternoons on major holidays!
John- There is talk of a 3000ft max from sac and rumors as low as 1500 ft,won't know for sure until we fire them up.You'd think with the other states using them already someone would know,but were are only a communications company,we don't talk to each other . We're supposed to get a new meter to check bonds,it clamps around the cable like a locator ring.Should have paid more attention to who the instructor was,he was an ex splicer from Ohio.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-23-2007 at 12:42pm
will it all be wireless someday? or will there be a government restriction for hard wire?

-------------

Date Posted: November-23-2007 at 1:40pm
Not sure,copper is already in and working,so it relatively cheap and I don't know about bandwith on wireless.I think we'll see a big push for fiber to the house next since when this project is done,it will be with in 3000 ft of the farthest house.This is the track Verizon is now on.Some of our new subdivisions now are going this way.At one time there was a concern about the phone line not working when the power was out,ie if you have fiber to the house you have to have a converter which is end user powered and if electric is out no phone no 911 calls.But now everyone has cell phones and that is why the phone companies want to get away from just phone service and sell video and data.Any coincidence that the largest phone compaines have the largest cell systems?Used to be you had 1 maybe 2 lines to your house.Now you think your getting back at the phone co by getting rid of your land line,but then you have a cell,your wife has one,both kids and your elderly parents do too.They have developed the prefect way to seperate you from your cash!

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-23-2007 at 10:27pm
When we were building our shop i hooked a big black cable with the backhoe bucket and luckily i didnt yank on it because later on i was told it was a fiber optic cable, it was not marked and close to the surface, I guess if there is a cable you dont want to cut in half its this one

-------------

Date Posted: November-24-2007 at 2:36am
Thanks Pete...musta missed HW's comment on my lack of knowledge as to what exactly goes on under the motor box.
eric; You hit it.....was really an easy job in one aspect...everything we did was in counts of five...five colors repeating themselves. If you dug up a "big black cable" with your backhoe...and someone told ya it was a fiber...he was trying to scare ya. Fiber is always enclosed on an orange plastic conduit and the stuff I've seen is orange or silver. Keep on diging without calling OUPS...your local cable mait guys will love ya.
Gary: I remember when they were selling DSl and told the customers it would run 18k from the CO! More like 12k on a good day depending on the weather and how many gauge changes your UG had. And don't forget all that bridge tap that wasn't on the print and you had to go looking for. So if they are now saying 3k...well I'll believe it when you see it. Fiber to the curb here in Florida in lots of the new developments but I have not had the chance to talk to any of the guys here that work on it. Interesting to see where your cuts and dig-ups are on Friday afternoon or holidays...just like ours were.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: November-24-2007 at 11:27am
Erik, Do call the locating service the next time you are digging. The service is free and if you hit something that wasn't marked it's their fault. If you don't call and end up damaging something you do not want to even think about the costs you will be responsible for. Even potential law suits from losses of service. We had a drill rig at the plant taking soil borings. The first hole he drilled in a 2 acre parking lot and he ran dead nuts in the middle of a phone cable. I can't remember how many pair it was but it knocked out a 10 sq. block area that included a couple 10 story apartments. The drilling firm did not call the locating service and the costs were unbelievable! Remember, guys like JB don't work cheap! We were covered because I had put down in writing on the PO that it was their responsibility to call.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-24-2007 at 1:11pm
I did call oops and this black cable wasnt marked, but before i called oops on the opposite side of the property i dug up the old gas line, at the time i thought it was live and it scared the s--t out of me, thats what lead me to call oops after that

-------------

Date Posted: November-24-2007 at 10:31pm
We sure don't want you blowing yourself up eric.

Hey Pete; the guys made some Christmas money on that one. Tone and back-tag a 10 square block area...wow!

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: November-25-2007 at 12:35am
It always amazes me that if your looking for that wire,gas pipe or cable you can't find it,I guess that's Murphy's Law.
John, how many job's you been on that the homeowner thought the orange lines were for them to use as a guide to line up their fence-
Sometime when were all together,I'll tell the story of the woman who was up in her office's attic telling me how to do my job and the way she got back down in a hurry.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-25-2007 at 12:53am
countless...or how many times did they just happen to hit the drop planting that tree or setting those deck posts? Maybe we should've hired them kinda people to do our locates. I just gotta laugh, in the 80's I used to be the locate guy for our area and I'd struggle to find stuff that any homeowner with a shovel of a post hole digger could find.

I would love to hear that story. In the early 70's when I was an installer I took a few short cuts outa attics. You think many guys go in attics anymore to fish walls?!

Stories??!! Bet we could fill a whole weekend laughin' at each other. Can't wait!

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: November-25-2007 at 3:05am
Never in the 18yrs I installed did I damage a ceiling,but it took a long time to live it down when I put my foot through my own.I'm not sure but I don't think the guy's go in anymore,no time, they get 6,7 jobs a day,strive for 5 you know.I got out of installation because my back couldn't take it any more in attics.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-25-2007 at 3:22am
Yeah you musta been a better installer than me...I wrecked a few. Back and knees did take a toll crawlin' around all the time.

Good jobs in eight is all I hear from my guys back at the garage.

Never enough time to do it right the first time...always enough time to go back twice or three times. Hard for me to figure that one out. Must be to dumb.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: November-25-2007 at 11:11am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

You think many guys go in attics anymore to fish walls?!

john

All the new guys started as TV cable installers! "How come that long drill bit has that hole in the end of it??"

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-25-2007 at 12:56pm
Pete that hole is to pull the wire back thru where you drilled.You strip the wire back to the conductors,feed them thru the hole and then wrap the conductors so they lay into the flukes of the bit.Then you pull the bit back out,the wire catches,breaks off,and you start all over!Then your "supervisor" tells you,hurry up your numbers are down,the only experence they have is thru a training video.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-25-2007 at 4:52pm
Gary, I was being facetious with the hole in the end of bit. My favorite if you have access to both the top and bottom via the attic and basement is dropping the beaded chain into the wall cavity. I learned that trick from a old alarm installer.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: 87BFN owner
Date Posted: November-25-2007 at 7:40pm
Gary and Jbear you guys would have a field day with the way some of the installer work here in michigan. NO two houses have the phone lines or the cable installed the same way, yet they are all the same houses. I find it very funny. The guy that did my house put my cable through some conduit that I installed to keep my shepard from chewing on the thermostat wires to my ac unit. The guy that did my brother's house just drilled a hole right through the siding and and pushed the cable into house and connected it and left.

-------------
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/buckethead1236/Barefooter6-10-09002.jpg" rel="nofollow - MY 87BFN

Date Posted: November-25-2007 at 11:48pm
Gary I had to LOL...there cannot be a guy under 40 that would even know what that little hole on the end of the bit was for. But you are right...the wire would usually break before it came back thru that hole.

Pete; You know one of our "magic" tricks. The chain would always fall around any hidden obstructions in the wall enabling you to get a string and then a wire thru.

Jim; The worse is when them guys drill a hole to the outside then "rope" the wire all the way around your house...putting little staples in your siding that will start to rust as soon as the installer leaves the yard.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: November-26-2007 at 12:07am
That is close to what the guy did at my brothers, except he had a spool of cable and just unwound it until he got to the back of the house and could put it through the hole. No sense of pride.

-------------
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/buckethead1236/Barefooter6-10-09002.jpg" rel="nofollow - MY 87BFN

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: November-26-2007 at 12:23am
Jim, kinda like them guys that work for Ford now, versus the guys that built the first Mustangs.......LMAO

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Date Posted: November-26-2007 at 1:09am
dr; if my memory serves me right...you are driving a new Mustang..right? My bro had one of the new Red GT's when he was still getting his lease rides before retirement. Nice car. Mrs jbear drives a '93 Triple White.....very cool ride and gets lots of comments.

I don't think pride is in the phone man dictionary any more Jim execpt for some of the older guys (sorry Gary...don't mean to call ya old)

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: November-26-2007 at 2:42am
Wrong, Karen had a new Mustang. First Ford product in my drive since a Granada, boy was that a POS.The pony ate too many oats and the Plymouth Grand Voyager@241,555 was ready for a life easier than pulling a CC or a Hobie.Have no complaints about the FoMoCo , well built and a blast to drive. No shakes rattles or glithes. We traded both in and bought a new Dodge Grand Caravan, big motor and tow bar.Lottsa of room , great gas mileage 24 mpg, four wheel disc,and traction control.
Had to be practical on this purchase, mid life crisis is over,time to get back to 53 again.........

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Date Posted: November-26-2007 at 2:46am
Sorry dr guess I mis-understood.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: November-26-2007 at 2:49pm
Jbear
I know what you mean, it's the same all over. I work with some guys that take a lot of pride in what they do. Then there are guys that will say that's good enough it works. I preffer to look at a job and say I want to be willing to put my name on this job and let everyone know who did.

Boat doc
Good to see you posting, did you look at the 87 nauti topic was hoping you would post some info on that motor as it is believed to be a merc. Also the topic about buffalo BFN's motor what cam he can use check it out. The BFN motor is in the engine repair section I believe.

-------------

Date Posted: November-26-2007 at 10:50pm
Sometimes the more we talk on here ..the more I realize that there is more in common here among some of us than just these old boats.

Even if I was working in the underground..where no-one goes unless they have to....and no-one sees your work..I still wanted guys to think "I bet the bear was in here"

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: November-26-2007 at 10:56pm
There absolutely nothing wrong with having pride in your work.

-------------

Date Posted: November-26-2007 at 11:08pm
John,there are exceptions to every rule,but for the most part it seems that if you started in the Bell System you have a different attitude.
In '91 because of this boat,I had to buy a 5.0 Mustang LX sedan.Bought it in October of 91 for 10,500 it was a Ford program car, sold it in 98 for 6000.Not counting normal wear and tear,the only thing I had to replace was the radiator and the exhaust.Tough to drive in the winter,but it was one of the best if not the best car I've ever owned.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-26-2007 at 11:10pm
Gary
The notch backs were great cars, always wanted one. But finding one in good shape at a reasonable price not easy to do.

-------------

Date Posted: November-26-2007 at 11:21pm
mrs jbear's first Mustang was a '85 GT. It was a hot car back then. Now she is in the Triple White which also runs the 5.0 GT motor. I always liked those notchback cars...looked like a mini coupe.

Man are you right Gary...the Bell System was just that...a way of doing things and relating to people...both in and out of the company. After the break-up all bets were off...never the same...but still...a pretty good way to spend your work days...huh?

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: November-27-2007 at 12:08am
Jbear
I have an 86 Mustang GT with T-Tops.

-------------

Date Posted: November-27-2007 at 12:56am
Jim I know what you mean,that was one of the reasons I got rid of it.I normally run them into the ground,but I knew it was still worth something.I fixed the normal rust bubble on the trunk lid and my wife needed a new car to go to work,60+ miles a day,where as I drove 14,so I took her Jeep and she got a new one.I liked the fact it was a real sleeper compared to the GT's of those years,no boy racer spoilers or airdams.Glad I had a chance to own one.
John It's always easy to knock the place when your with your coworkers,but boy do we stick up for it when someone else complains.Coming up on my 31st year and have no regrets.Met my wife there,put our son thru school,kept a roof over our heads and since they paid for all the toy's ie CC's,gotten to know you guy's.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-27-2007 at 1:36am
I am torn between upgrades for the Air, restoration of the BFN, or restoring my mustang. I think the boats will win out.

-------------

Date Posted: November-27-2007 at 2:35am
The boats always win jim...cost no object.
BTW...I had a '77 Firebird "Smokey and the Bandit" if ya know what I mean...with T-tops which I thought was soooo cool but the dumb things always leaked and rattled. Like sunroofs much better.

Gotta agree with every word Gary.....Gots lots of toys from working in them m-holes and climbing them poles. Great memories...just like it should be.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: November-13-2008 at 8:40am
Last evening I noticed two guys walking up to my house. I though I was about to be solicited by one of the religious groups noted for their door to door tactics. Seeing they were carrying clip boards rather than bibles I felt safer! Turns out they wanted me to convert but it was over to AT&T fiber optic service. The pitch of course is the speed of the fiber. I said no because I felt I'd been screwed enough through the years of Illinois Bell, Ameritech and then AT&T. With the door to door sales, it sounds like project Lightspeed isn't going over to big!! BTW, I through out the "Lightspeed" term at them and they were amazed that I knew something about the service.

Gary, John and I've forgotten our 3rd member phone employee,
I never remember ANY cable work in front of my house indicating fiber was strung. There has been alot of work going on with a rather large install of a enclosure about a mile from my house. Do they go from that with existing copper to my house? Wouldn't that really hurt the speed? So far I've been happy with my cable, phone and high speed internet.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: 88 Nautique
Date Posted: November-13-2008 at 6:33pm
Hey guys,
I just got on the site and here is 2 pages of phone company talk. Amazing!
The thing that's driving us nuts over here is that they are closing down our NOC's & test centers and they have been moved to N Carolina and Dallas. We've lost that local feeling having the NOC in Sacramento where you knew everyone. And the funny thing is they do things differently so when you talk to them, you both end up confused because it's like talking two different languages.
Now they are standardizing all our systems that we use in the C.O. and dont think that didn't cause a lot of confusion.
Gary, when is your contract up? Ours is in April. What are you hearing over there? At least JBear doesn't have to worry about strikes any more. Jbear, don't forget to bring beer to your brothers on the picket line.
Pete, are you a phone guy too? If you are, I must have forgotten. Guess I'm getting old; time to retire... Oh wait... My 401K aint worth anything now.
Kurt

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1657" rel="nofollow - My 88 Nautique

Date Posted: November-13-2008 at 7:19pm
Kurt,
Ok, now I remember you're the other CCfan/phone person!! No I'm not - just know enough to know the difference between "tip" and "ring"!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-13-2008 at 9:16pm
Pete,
Yes, if that's what they're installing, it would be fiber to that point, then existing copper cable from that point to your house. If that's what their installing, you will probibly notice phone guys working in the cable around your neighborhood. They must "condition" the existing cable pairs to make the high speed data work to your house. That means cutting the cable pairs so they stop at your house instead of continuing on down the street like they do now. Hell I'm still working on a SLC96. I have to get my internet from satalite.
Your pairs may also be connected to another cable that goes down another street for example. They must cut those cable pairs off as well so there is a direct path of one cable pair from the box to your house with no other side legs or "bridge tap" as we call it.
I personally can't wait to have it installed at my house. I'm afraid I will be waiting a long time though. I am completely rural and it's not profitable for the company to install this service in rural homes.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1657" rel="nofollow - My 88 Nautique

Date Posted: November-14-2008 at 1:15am
Kurt: How did you find this old thread? Can't believe ya missed out the first time around.

Wow...condition..out end..bridge tap....ain't heard them words in awhile. Find it hard to believe your service comes from a slc96. They were gone in Ohio 10 years ago. Can't believe anybody has a card left for them. They were incredably unreliable in Ohio. Worked at the IX Center doing big shows for awhile and we had 4 of those junkers in the baesment making our dt. Used to hope that one wouldn't go down during the Boat Show or the Car Show.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: November-14-2008 at 8:19am
Alright, what about the speed problem? "Do they go from that with existing copper to my house? Wouldn't that really hurt the speed?"
The copper must hurt if they are going to the trouble of conditioning the pairs.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-15-2008 at 2:03am
I've been pretty busy the last couple of nights so I've missed this. Pete from what I've been told and just to refresh I worked on the conditioning project almost 2yrs ago for 4 or 5 months. It is the existing copper from the "v rad" thats the box the fiber terminates at,to your house.You have to be within 3000 ft of the v rad and that means cable length not as "the crow flies". Your existing phone line still gets to your house the "old way" copper,pair gain or what some call slc96,or DPG fiber,but then the data,either tv or computer is injected at the v rad into the pair that goes to your house. Think of the conditioning as being say three wires spliced together. You don't want the signial going over that say second wire. If you just cut off that wire that little piece left there can act as an antenna and disrupt the signial. So to stop that you cut them all apart and reconnect just the two you need.
John we still have slc 96 here and can even think of 1 Fujitsu still working here.
Kurt, I can't wait either but even tho I'm in "town" I'm 5000 ft from the v rad so until they figure how to pair bond or use repeters,I'm out of luck. My area has been conditioned over a year ago,the v rads all in but in a town over 7 miles away there is a right away problem for the fiber ring so two towns with about 40,000 people are still waiting. Then about 2-3 weeks ago most of the help that was doing the conditioning were term employees and were layed off. Our contract is up June 27, we hear of sipps but they are just rumors.It's getting slow but we'll just have to wait and see. It would have been nice to get Verizon's deal from last spring,but the company has said "We are not Verizon" so there you go. I hope the brains of this country get the economy going so all of us here won't be saying, well at least I have a job.It seems to me since 9-11 that we have been just sputtering along.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-15-2008 at 1:05pm

Kurt: How did you find this old thread? Can't believe ya missed out the first time around.

john

jbear,
My bad. I just happened to see it, saw the last post was in November. Didn't realize it was 2007!! Guess I didn't have my glasses on.

Edit: Looking back I see that Pete revived the old post.

Pete,
I think you would be happy with the whole package. U-Verse has some really cool features on the television side of it. You can watch a show you recorded on your DVR,then move that show to another t.v. in your house. Say your watching a movie in the living room, then you move into the kitchen, you can watch that same movie in your kitchen.

As far as the data stream on the copper, the total speed if you have fttn or fiber to the node, copper to the house is 27mb/s. Thats 26mb/s downstream and 1 mbp/s upstream.
If you have fttp or fiber to the prem the speed is 27mb/s downstream and 3.2 upstream. This is enough to carry hi def t.v. high speed data and pots or plain old telephone service.

-------------

Date Posted: November-16-2008 at 3:47am
Not to worry Kurt. I knew Pete had brought. Nice to see you weight in tho. Always like a little shop talk that I can understand.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: November-16-2008 at 10:30am
Originally posted by 88 Nautique 88 Nautique wrote:

Pete,
I think you would be happy with the whole package. U-Verse has some really cool features on the television side of it. You can watch a show you recorded on your DVR,then move that show to another t.v. in your house. Say your watching a movie in the living room, then you move into the kitchen, you can watch that same movie in your kitchen.

Kurt,
I think you should be going door to door selling the service instead of climbing up ladders, going in holes in the ground or standing in a bucket all day long!

I,m still not buying into it. I've still got the bad feeling about the years of poor service and the days I would go without a phone with the "bell" companies. I learned early during one of these outages that my copper came to my house in a very odd manner. The Illinois Bell repairman told me one day that my house and my neighbors were done in the 40's. It still ran to a old utility core across the street that was no longer technically legal and probably never was a easement. Down a old 4 pair (the only cable still on the poles), back across the street, across another street to the "new" cabling done in the 60's. I also found out the hard way after my house reconstruction and adding phones, that I was on the far end of this cabling from the office. The same Bell repairman told me I'd be lucky to get two (electro mechanical) phones to ring. After every outage, I never got anywhere with my requests for new cabling. I wonder if they could even condition my existing! I've got the feeling that the door to door salesmen pushing the fiber lost there way! I'm way over the 3000 from the closest V rad!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: reidp
Date Posted: November-16-2008 at 11:34am

Not to worry Kurt. I knew Pete had brought. Nice to see you weight in tho. Always like a little shop talk that I can understand.

john

Wow. Now I understand how Jbear feels when we get into an indepth engine conversation. This stuff is greek to me.    

-------------
ReidP
/diaries/details.asp?ID=231&yrstart=1971&yrend=1975 - 1973 Mustang

Posted By: RainDog
Date Posted: November-16-2008 at 11:38am
On a related aside, my company contributes to standardization in the CO. We are a TAC/Andover Controls dealer and we do all the building automation controls in the state of Wisconsin for AT&T (nee SBC, Ameritech, Wisconsin Bell). We have shop wiring diagrams with all 3 logos as we have been doing telco work since the early '80s.

Also, we had a set of Vrad batteries explode just a few blocks from my house a year or two ago.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1868&sort=&pagenum=1 - 62 Classic

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5242&sort=&pagenum=1 - 2002 Super Air

Date Posted: November-16-2008 at 12:20pm
One of my "repairs" done in the late 70's before I rebuilt and rewired my house was very concerning to me. No dial tone so the Bell repairman shows up. He went into my basement and in less than 5 minutes comes back up telling me he had found a problem with the junction and fixed it. I don't know why I went down to look at it but evidently my distrust with bell was already growing on me. Well, the "repair" involved him removing the two brass cartridges (sorry but I don't know what they are called) from the old porcelain "interface". I knew enough that these were not fuses but when blown during a lightning hit would short and shunt the lightning strike to ground. At least now, I did have a phone to call repair again. Another repairman was there within a hour and replaced the cartridges!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-16-2008 at 1:10pm
I thought in those days you had to call Mable at the post office to get a line out

-------------

Date Posted: November-16-2008 at 1:12pm
finally..in the Pete club, Im honored. half my posts shouldnt count cause they are alot of BS

-------------

Date Posted: November-17-2008 at 1:58am
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

We have shop wiring diagrams with all 3 logos as we have been doing telco work since the early '80s.

Also, we had a set of Vrad batteries explode just a few blocks from my house a year or two ago.

Steve we had a manager at my garage last winter who was going to send us home if we kept wearing our Illinois Bell,Ameritech,or SBC clothing.I told her I quit wearing it as soon as they replaced my Ameritech branded ladders,tent and test equiptment.So as of yet we're still using the 3 logo's as well!
After those batteries went off they removed ALL of them and put in new ones that needed to be heated in the winter requiring all the vrads to be rewired

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-17-2008 at 2:16am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Well, the "repair" involved him removing the two brass cartridges (sorry but I don't know what they are called) from the old porcelain "interface".

Pete,while you share your boating knowledge John,Kurt and I will make a phoneman out of you. The porcelain thing is called a protector and the brass cartridges were called carbons. The new ones are all potted using gas carbons which "reset" themself that still,but rarely cause trouble.Right up there with a fire a house hit by lightining is in my opinion the nastiest repair case you can get.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-17-2008 at 8:05am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Well, the "repair" involved him removing the two brass cartridges (sorry but I don't know what they are called) from the old porcelain "interface".

Pete,while you share your boating knowledge John,Kurt and I will make a phoneman out of you. The porcelain thing is called a protector and the brass cartridges were called carbons. The new ones are all potted using gas carbons which "reset" themself that still,but rarely cause trouble.Right up there with a fire a house hit by lightining is in my opinion the nastiest repair case you can get.

Gary,
My eyes and ears are always open - thanks!

When the second different repairman showed up to put good carbons back in, I could tell he wasn't very happy. He of course was very quiet protecting his coworkers a**!!! For those of you not familier with these "carbons", the first repairman removing them leaves the house unprotected to a lightning hit on the phone lines.

Hey, did you ever work with a Bob Brehmer? He was a lifelong Bell employee and I think he worked out of the Libertyville area. Wood boat owner (Century) and a long time Blackhawk chapter member. I haven't seen him in a couple years and I seem to remember hearing he took his "package", retired and even sold his boat.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-19-2008 at 3:11am
Wow...haven't heard of "2 piece" protectors or 98A protectors in quite a while. Hey Gary...did you guys use those thin brass straps to modify the 98A's?

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: November-20-2008 at 2:00am
Pete, I don't know him if he worked outside in Libertyville he'd be out of the Mundlein garage.I've worked in the same garage for almost 30yrs,so if they didn't pass thru Barrington,I might not know them.Some guys move garages like Reid buys boats,so they tend to know more people.I happened to get into the garage closest to my house when I went outside,just plain luck.
John hate to break it to you but those were out of use when I started,we had the single and 2 line bakelite protectors with the screw in carbons and that grey rubber cap that covered them,after all I'm just a youngin--

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-20-2008 at 3:25pm
Gary & Jbear,
Were you guys always splicers or did you start with the company doing something else? I started off as a inst/rpr. Now I'm in the switchroom. Wished I could have started off in DA. Have a friend that started off in DA when he was 18. He said it was the best time in his life. The only guy in an office building full of young girls.
Kurt

-------------

Date Posted: November-21-2008 at 12:18am
Yes Kurt,he was right,but DA was a nasty job.I started as a long distance operator.They gave a choice when I started LD or DA,the hiring person told me I'd like LD ,didn't know better until I started.The DA office was open all night,LD only till 12am.The managers at LD were older women and really watched out for us too.If I'd had started in DA I would have gotten all nights with a good chance of working split shifts.With LD I got 10 to 6 right away.I was the first guy hired off the street for the TSPS boards,and they hired for weeks,so I shot up in seniorty fast.I was there for 2 years before I got out to installation stayed there for 16 more years before becoming a cable repairman.Good thing about starting out somewhere else is that I started installation at 2 year pay scale and seniorty compaired to others who just started.Met my wife in LD,we met when they closed her cordboard office.She later went to the business office near my garage and thats where we met up again and the rest is history.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-21-2008 at 3:43pm
I started in 79 and after working for 2 years, Pacific Telephone (at the time) offered a wage credit for previous work experience. I put in for it and got bumbed up to top pay AND got a retroactive check for the 2 years I had already worked. The only work experience I had was wiring commercial buildings for intercoms, paging & background music. I was only 20 at the time so it was a big surprise to me that they actually gave it to me.

-------------

Date Posted: November-27-2008 at 10:06am
Well, They're really pushing the service! Last evening I had another two people come to my door soliciting me for the new service. I did ask them were the closest Vrad was and they informed me it's called a "node". They didn't know where it was but did say the max copper run from it is now 2300 feet and not the 3000. Problems already?? I'm going to have to take a walk around my neighborhood. My copper has been conditioned and all I have to do is sign on the dotted line!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-27-2008 at 12:14pm
Pete maybe they are keeping the footage down to make sure it works,I don't know. As to vrad or node,I've heard of node but everyone outside working on them calls them vrads. Must be a " marketing " thing. One of my coworkers got it recently and had trouble with it.He lives in a brand new subdivision so old cable wasn't an issue. Turns out it was the way he had terminated his inside wires,when he did his own phone service install With alot of things in life Pete, being the 1st to have it is not always best

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-27-2008 at 2:00pm
Gary,
I seem to remember my alarm is polarity sensitive and had to be very careful wiring in the RJ31X. Any issues with the lightspeed system?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-28-2008 at 1:51pm
Shouldn't be an issue, as long as it's wired the same. Tip and ring in on 4&5 respectivly, out on 1&8 of the RJ31X. The installer should be trained on alarm jacks. Just make sure he knows there is an alarm system.
The reason for the alarm jack is the alarm controller cuts off service to all the phones in your building in an alarm state. That is so a burgler cannot take the phones off hook and disrupt the alarm call.
Kurt

-------------

Date Posted: November-28-2008 at 8:32pm

The reason for the alarm jack is the alarm controller cuts off service to all the phones in your building in an alarm state. That is so a burgler cannot take the phones off hook and disrupt the alarm call.
Kurt

Kurt,
I'm sure glad I don't have the alarm system you have mentioned! The idea of a alarm is to not let the burgler into the house!!

The RJ31 has nothing to do with the function of the alarm line seizure relay. The alarm can be wired without it. I'm sure you do know it serves two functions. If the RJ is located in a non alarmed area, a tamper feature can be wired in to alarm if the modular plug is pulled. However, it's primarily a alarm servicing convenience because it shunts the phone line when the modular is pulled keeping the phone line in service.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-30-2008 at 2:37pm
Pete, maybe you're misunderstanding me. You're correct that the jack doesn't operate the relay, but the telephone line comes in on pins 4&5 of the RJ31X, through the alarm cord, through the relay and back out on pins 1&8 and then to your telephone equipment. When you are in an alarm state, the relay operates and opens the tel line towards your telephone equipment, thereby disconnecting all the telephone wiring and keeps the telephone line connected only to your controller. If you don't believe me, try to use your telephones when your alarm has been activated. This has been the way every alarm I've ever worked on works that uses a modem and a dial up phone line to connect to the alarm company. If it is not working as I have described, then your alarm or telephone wiring has been wired incorrectly or you have a different type of alarm such as wireless, a private line or something else. I made the assumption you had a dial-up alarm modem by your question.
I agree that an alarm system is there to not let burglars in, but short of having an automatically aimed gun that shoots them dead, it doesn't always deter them. This function has been built in to not allow them to take the phone off the hook and disrupt the call your alarm controller is making to the alarm company's modem.
When you unplug the cord from your alarm controller to the RJ31X, it doesn't put a shunt on the telephone line. A shunt is a short. A short or "shunt" would kill your phone line. There are two copper bars in the jack itself that connects pin 1 to pin 4 and pin 5 to pin 8, thereby connecting the wiring in your house to the telephone line allowing you to use your phones. When you plug your cord back in, these little bars lift up and drop the connection.
Remember Pete, I'm a phone guy. I know how this stuff works. I hope this wasn't to long of a read. Kind of boring, huh?
But to answer your question about the U-Verse service, you shouldn’t have a problem with your alarm. You may even notice you might have better service because of it. When I said these pairs have been conditioned, that means they have also been rigorously tested as well. Just ask Gary.
Kurt

-------------

Date Posted: November-30-2008 at 5:51pm

Gary & Jbear,
Were you guys always splicers or did you start with the company doing something else? I started off as a inst/rpr. Now I'm in the switchroom. Wished I could have started off in DA. Have a friend that started off in DA when he was 18. He said it was the best time in his life. The only guy in an office building full of young girls.
Kurt

Well I am only a few days late getting to this...out-of-town company....best friend from high school...didn't want to seem rude while I was hangin' around on here...

I started as a Group 2 repairman in '70. Went to installation 5 years later. Moved to Centrex when it came out in the early '80s and had Cities, Schools, and Hospitols as my clients. Went to cable mtc in '90. Kurt you seem to remember some of your "outside" stuff well. Had to think a moment to remember "in on 4&5 out on 1&8". Long time since I wired a RJ31X alarm jack. You explained the workings very well I thought.

I guess I was "dating" myself Gary when I mentioned the porclein protectors.

Sounds like you guys had fun in the DA offices full of girls.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: November-30-2008 at 10:56pm
Kurt,
I understand exactly how a RJ31 works.
It's there are a convenience for alarm servicing. I also, as stated, know exactly what the alarm seizure relay does.

Why have all Bell employees been corrupted in there training when it comes down to the proper use of electrical terms??? A shunt may be a short in Bell terms but is is really a connection from one point to another. From Winnipka: "a shunt is a device which allows electric current to pass around another point in the circuit." If you shunt to ground then yes the phone doesn't work. Remember the "carbons" discussion??? What happens if the Bell repairman is in the field and whats to ohm (oh, I forgot you guys don't call a ohm meter a ohm meter ether but rather a "point" meter??!!) out a copper pair - He asks someone in the office to shunt the pair at that location so he can check the complete pair. When the modular plug is pulled out of the RJ31, it shunts (connects) the copper pair removing the alarm connection into the line.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-01-2008 at 1:13pm
Pete,Kurt is right on the RJ31X it's not for convenience of service,alarm installeres don't do anything for convenience Since the breakup,I haven't had to put one in Thank God. People tend to way over think phones and wiring,I love to go to an electrial engineers house to do work and mess with them. I'll check Tuesday with some of the guy's and see if they have any issues. I had a case a couple of months ago that ate up alot of time.A customer over a year ago got DSL and just found out now that her alarm didn't dial out.Customer was mad as he** at us and everyone was pointing fingers at each other. Turned out that alarm panel only worked on copper,she was now on fiber with the DSL change.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: December-01-2008 at 7:11pm

Pete,Kurt is right on the RJ31X it's not for convenience of service,alarm installeres don't do anything for convenience

Gary,
You guys sure stick together! Do you hug each other for the night when leaving the office each day!!

The alarm installers do do it for convenience. The RJ31 is there for when all the finger pointing starts from the Bell employee's!! "It's the alarms fault and it's why you don't have a phone sir"!!!

Actually, I was wrong stating the RJ31 is for the convenience of the alarm installer but rather, it's to ease both the alarm and phone company employees troubleshooting/servicing and a FCC rule.

When a problem occurs, there are even instructions in most alarm manuals for the homeowner to go and simply unplug the RJ31 modular connection to isolate a Bell or alarm problem.

I wish it was that easy when you have a dedicated copper pair to the village fire department. We finally gave up at the plant after years (and costs $$) of seeing fire trucks every time it rained outside!!! Went to a standard dialer to a monitoring center. At least they call and tell us of trouble after it rains! By the time we would get a service person in from Bell, the lines are dried out and we would hear: "It's the alarms fault"

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-02-2008 at 9:47pm
Well, I just signed up for U-verse package. I'll update the results after the install.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-03-2008 at 12:58am
Sorry Pete I didn't get a chance to ask about the alarm yet, my source was on a 2am call out,I'll check tommorow. How much they hitting you up for? And what package,U100,U200 etc?

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: December-03-2008 at 8:06am
Gary,
I signed up for the U200 package.
It's the same Internet speed of 6M up and 1.5M down as my Comcast. (but they verbally said it would be faster!!)

Same unlimited local and long distance phone.

With the TV and the U200 I'll end up with another 50 or so channels (had to take it as part of the package) than I have now with Comcast "expanded basic". This will drop my montly bill $30 (from Comcasts $160/month). After a month of U-verse service I'm told I can call up and drop down to the U100 TV service (equal to Comcast expanded) which is $10 less meaning it will be $40 cheaper than Comcast. I was also told that this montly rate would be "grandfathered" and would never go up but that's not on the contract!!!???

The install should be interesting. I wonder if any of the existing cabling inside the house that Comcast installed will be used? (like the coax from the modem to the TV) I was ready for Comcast - Opened up two walls to the basement, to existing jack plates and even left my fish's it them for the installer. Yup, he was going to just drill holes through my carpet and floor to the basement!!! I caught him just in time walking in with the drill and bell hanger bit. I'd better open up the walls again!!

The installer will be informed about the RJ31X. I sure hope he does better than the Comcast installer. You'll get a kick out of this, I informed the Comcast installer about it and after several minutes of the "deer in headlights" looks I got from him I gave up trying to explain it. After he left, I had to go down and rewire the RJ. He had simply back feed it!!

I also got $200 in "cash back" gift cards! AT&T is really out to get Comcast! The $480 per year in savings is really what I was after. Comcast even after the "teaser" rate has been going up slowly every 4 or 5 months.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-07-2008 at 9:46pm
Pete I talked to one guy I know, and he has not heard of alarm trouble. When is the install going to happen?

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: December-07-2008 at 10:18pm
Gary,
They are real backed up so ether there aren't enough installers or the program is going over real big! It's scheduled for Jan. 13th.

Thanks for checking for me.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-07-2008 at 11:47pm
Alot of them have quit,if we get together fri I'll fill in the details

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: December-08-2008 at 12:06am
Sure wish you and me could get this in for Pete. Come to think of it..you'd have to help me. I could get the wire in right but you'd have to get the signal.

BTW..cold up there?

Waxed the '80 yesterday..in the mid 80's here. Sweet.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: December-08-2008 at 1:17am
It was 6 this morning and they are talking more snow tonight.I'll put up with this since I know spring will come early now. I thought I heard frost warnings for Fla this morning?

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: December-08-2008 at 1:21am
You know I am only kidding ya...I have been where you are...spent my days in the cold too. No frost warnings here...maybe a litle further north.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: December-08-2008 at 9:29am

It was 6 this morning

Gary,
Where's your normal work? Outside? You do have one of those trucks with the built in heaters ducted to the vault or the tent don't you?

When the 3rd couple from AT&T came to my door to sell me (the ones who did make the sale) the U-verse, it was cold. I invited them into my entry and was told they weren't allowed to enter the house. Now I'm standing there shivering with the door open wanting to ask more questions but at the same time wanting to make it as quick as possible. I understand AT&T must have some very strick guidelines on entering a home but in winter this scenario sure makes it a tough sell! Now, the installer must enter the house. Different set of guidelines?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-12-2008 at 12:19am
Yes Pete I'm out most of the day and actually prefer it,once you have your cold weather gear on,you don't want to take it off.And I'm not sure why,but it happens to all of us,the older and wiser you get the less you want to go in someones house.Tuesday's weather was was the worst you can get. In the winter things really slow down,once things are frozen and by now almost all the mouse houses have been found. I have a bucket truck,only the underground trucks have those heaters.I do have a propane catalytic tent heater if your in a spot for some time otherwise it's not worth getting out.Our trucks gps tells anyone who wants to know if the truck is running and depending on the boss ie one who never did the job,will yell at you for leaving it run. I have a electric heater in my cab and shut off the truck and just run the generator to keep it warm. I wonder if those people are just contractors used by the company to sell. Our only restriction is that there has to be an adult home.You can't believe how many people either tell you when you precall just to go in,it's open or want to leave after you get there.It sure is nice going somewhere different every day,and in my area you can be in a multi millon dollar house one minute and a trailer park or low income apts 15 minutes later. It's a strange world out there Pete.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: January-13-2009 at 8:39pm
The AT&T installer just finished my U-Verse. WOW!!! By the time I figure out how to use all the features I hope I'm still alive. At least they have training videos available on the TV.

Unlike the Comcast installer, he was very knowledgeable and helpful and even knew what a RJ31X was!!! Of course he didn't have to touch it because of my rewiring it properly after the Comcast install.

I got the equal advertised speed to the Comcast but just like the salesperson said, it's faster. Now I'm told I'll have to dig into my computer and add RAM!! I'll have to open it up and see if I can do it (after some investigation as I'm such a computer wiz - not!!)

I also need to figure out how to change my home page to AT&T as Comcast still opens up.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: critter
Date Posted: January-13-2009 at 10:51pm
Pete,
If you use Internet Explorer, go to the page you want to come up when you open IE, then click on Tools at the top of the window, then click on Internet Options, Then select use Current.
As far as the RAM, usually explained well in the manual. Just remember to disconnect power and touch frame of PC before touching anything. This keeps you from damaging electronics.

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Date Posted: January-15-2009 at 10:44pm
I'm jealous Pete.Did they have to run new wire? Or they able to use your coax. I heard they were getting trained to install some kind of range extender- I hope they do it soon,right now I'm about 2000 ft too far

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: January-16-2009 at 12:48am
Gary,
Outside, they were able to use the existing copper but not without some work. The sales people telling me that my house had been conditioned was BS! A outside cabling person worked on it for a half day to clean it up. Inside, the installer did use the Comcast coax from the outside network interface to the new AT&T modem as well as to the TV. The house install was very simple.

Did they put the meter on your house to determine you are 2000 ft over? I'm also told that some of the ports at the vrad for some reason are stronger outputs than others.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-16-2009 at 1:19am
No Pete,I know that the v rad is a mile from my house

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: January-16-2009 at 2:25am
How do you guys measure it...open meter (965) or short at the end and divide by 1/2?

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: January-16-2009 at 11:16am

How do you guys measure it...open meter (965) or short at the end and divide by 1/2?

john

John,
The meter I saw them use was one that I've never seen before. Very fancy with a display screen like a high end cell phone. It must be open end because they didn't shunt the copper at the other end at the vrad.

Gary,
Can't you "pull some strings" and get them to run some fiber closer to your house?

BTW, the installer did tell me that he is already seeing cutbacks or at least cost controls on project Lightspeed. The big bucks poured into the system are running low and the people signing up are not the numbers they had projected. The installer told me the inside the house installs now have restrictions - when he started, he could spend the time to fish walls for a proper install. Now, he has to take the "cable guy" route and resort to drilling through the wall direct to the outside and stringing cable on the house!!!! I'm glad he didn't have to do that. Of course when Comcast came in, I had the forethought to open the walls to the basement/crawl up myself, install wall plates and even left my fish tapes in the walls!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-16-2009 at 9:34pm
John,I have a 965 at work and this - http://www.ba-electronics.com/asccustompages/products.asp?ProductID=3122 - http://www.ba-electronics.com/asccustompages/products.asp?ProductID=3122 This thing is handy because it's small enough to carry all the time.You don't even have to take off dial tone or your tone box,just open your pair and measure.Saves alot of fence jumping or pole climbing.
Pete they sure did pour alot of money into this at the beginning.In my case the houses are only on one side of the road because of the river and we're on acreage,so we are talking about 33 houses within 3000 ft and since not everyone wants it,where's the return? When it's my turn I'm going to run my own wire too.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: January-17-2009 at 3:03am
I relly liked the 965...very good tool. Liked the look of that little guy..never saw one before. Man they are sure making it easy...no more figuring ft/ohm or gauges...just push the button and walk to the trouble. Yeah right.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: January-17-2009 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

Pete,
If you use Internet Explorer, go to the page you want to come up when you open IE, then click on Tools at the top of the window, then click on Internet Options, Then select use Current.
As far as the RAM, usually explained well in the manual. Just remember to disconnect power and touch frame of PC before touching anything. This keeps you from damaging electronics.

Rodger,
Thanks for the tip. I was going to my control panel and clicking on "internet options" trying to change my home page from there. I did it your way and it worked!

I found and bought additional ram for this computer bringing it up to the max of 512M. It's still not the recommended 1G that AT&T says is needed to utilize the full potential of their fiber but short of getting a new computer it's the best I could do. I installed the extra 256M ($14.50 online!!) a couple hours ago and it did make a difference.

Thanks again.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window